Life Expectancy of a CRT TV

J

john.marks

Hi

I bought a 28" widescreen Hitachi TV 4 years ago. After about 2.5 years it started turning itself into standby and then back on again. Outside of the 12 month warranty I got it repaired. £80 later and a new power supply I was watching TV again. However, it has started happening again and have almost talked myself into just getting a new idTV to replace it. However, I spotted a post on here that said that a CRT TV can reasonably be expected to last in excess of 6+ years. Given that I have already had it repaired once, I'm not prepared to pay to have it repaired again, it's not worth it. I'd be interested on some opinions as to whether I could go to Hitachi quoting the "Sale & Supply of Goods Act" in this scenario. Would it be worth it?

Thanks

John

john.marks said:
Hi

I bought a 28" widescreen Hitachi TV 4 years ago. After about 2.5 years it started turning itself into standby and then back on again. Outside of the 12 month warranty I got it repaired. £80 later and a new power supply I was watching TV again. However, it has started happening again and have almost talked myself into just getting a new idTV to replace it. However, I spotted a post on here that said that a CRT TV can reasonably be expected to last in excess of 6+ years. Given that I have already had it repaired once, I'm not prepared to pay to have it repaired again, it's not worth it. I'd be interested on some opinions as to whether I could go to Hitachi quoting the "Sale & Supply of Goods Act" in this scenario. Would it be worth it?

Thanks

John

You could only approach the company you purchased the item from. Your contract of sale is with them, not Hitachi.

Mate of mine had a Toshiba 28inch widescreen with built in DD, not sure of model no, for 5 years. During the 5 years it had 2 new tubes fittted both under 3 year warrenty on the TV.

Towards the 5 year mark it started showing signs of problems again and instead of paying to get it repaired he bought a new Panasonic TV. I told him to phone Tosh to see what they had to say. Thay asked him to forward copies of the proof of repairs which he did and approx 2 weeks later he had an offer of and accepted a cheque for £495.

So if I was you I would get in touch with their customer services and see what they have to say for themselves. You never know your luck.

My family must have been lucky because none of our TV's have lasted less than ten years and we've bought B&O, Sony, Toshiba, Ferguson and Hitachi. Obviously my more recent TV's, the 32WD98 which is still problem free after 5 years or my present 51WH are still young but they're going strongly and show no signs of trouble yet. The B&O was troublesome but it was always silly things like loose connectors or dry solder joints, it never needed major surgery and lasted about 15 years before the tube gave out. My dad's old sony is now 25 years old, in an old people's home and still looks really good, if a little soft compared to today's TV's. It has never been opened!

In my opinion any TV worth its salt should give at least 5 years of trouble free life. After this it's more concievable that things will begin to go wrong with it. But that's just my opinion.

Older TV are much more reliable. My Nan had a 29" BRITTANIA T.V. and is still going after 14 years with now faults.

Newer TVs these days are made to break down after the warrenty runs out.

I never had one last less than 10 years
2 philips are still working at 10 and 13 years, panny died at 15 years

A really cheap 28" widescreen at £170 from safeway going strong only 2.5 years old

14" TV 21 years old - works
25" TV 14 years old - worn out
32" TV 5 years old - fine

MARKFIRE said:
Older TV are much more reliable. My Nan had a 29" BRITTANIA T.V. and is still going after 14 years with now faults.

Newer TVs these days are made to break down after the warrenty runs out.

hmmmm.

Mothers 21" Misubishi 18 years. Tube still going strong at the end but none of the channel buttons would stay in.
My 21" Misubishi 17.5 years old. Still going strong but now relegated to the bedroom.
My Sony 29" just packed in after 10.5 years. Tube went a nice shade of green. Repair shop said the tube was tired. Mind you I am a TV addict and that old Sony got a real hammering over the years.
Just bought a 36" Panasonic PD50. Hope that lasts as long.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom