Life continuing as normal for many people despite Coronavirus, it seems

I'd like to give you a real example of how messed up things are.

My sister and sister-in-law are both nurses.
One works in the district seeing elderly patients... one of whom is a known positive Covid19 case.
Unfortunately, the NHS have degreed that the only protective clothing they will provide is a plastic apron... seriously, how messed up is that!!!

The other works in a hospital, and because she's not in A&E or intensive care (optics) she gets no protective equipment at all... but is expected to carry out eye examinations at close quarters.
The rest of us are exchanging crowded commutes to work for crowded trips to the supermarket, and some are taking trips out because they don't see the risk.

I liken this whole farce to a quote from Mr Miyagi (Karate Kid)...
"If walk left side or road... safe. If walk right side of road.. safe. If walk in middle, sooner or later... SQUISH".

I have to say, I'm extremely concerned by the attitude of the majority of people, and the government need to take much stronger measures.

This morning's shopping trip to local M&S food Hall in empty Glades shopping mall is about 3miles round trip if that. A trip to local Tesco on Thursday will be half that. Can't get any online deliveries or Click and Collect.
Needs must, unfortunately.
Ever heard of a battery charger? As I’ve been owning more cars than I can drive af anyone time it’s entirely normal for them to be standing still. Just pop a trickle charger on them to keep them in their best shape. Alternatively just disconnect the battery ;)

Ever heard of a battery charger? As I’ve been owning more cars than I can drive af anyone time it’s entirely normal for them to be standing still. Just pop a trickle charger on them to keep them in their best shape. Alternatively just disconnect the battery ;)
Sarcasm like this isn't welcome in the present situation. I have a very Smart modern Swedish charger but charging a car with a start/stop system and modern electronics is tricky. As for disconnecting, no way with the problems that can cause, subsequently.
The car's manual of course tells one where to make charger connections to avoid upsetting the unit that monitor's state of charge/Start - Stop condition.
Anyway I'll take it out for a short shopping trip today
I know! I will call the AA out to advise me.

Sarcasm like this isn't welcome in the present situation. I have a very Smart modern Swedish charger but charging a car with a start/stop system and modern electronics is tricky. As for disconnecting, no way with the problems that can cause, subsequently.
The car's manual of course tells one where to make charger connections to avoid upsetting the unit that monitor's state of charge/Start - Stop condition.
Anyway I'll take it out for a short shopping trip today
I know! I will call the AA out to advise me.
It’s still a car, not a rocketship. I also have cars with a battery management module. Those batteries can be charged both on car through the correct terminals, or disconnected from the car but just require a reset to let the vehicle know what you’ve done.

Ah, yes that's the word or term. As an 82 Yr old who's probably senile in a lot of people's opinion, I couldn't bring it to mind at the appropriate moment. If push comes to shove, I'll connect to the - ve earth 'strip' on the bulkhead and keep fingers crossed.

Anyway We'll go out today from supermarket to supermarket to see whether we can buy staples etc. at least that will give the car a bit of a run and a justifiable reason for going out.

Anyway We'll go out today from supermarket to supermarket to see whether we can buy staples etc. at least that will give the car a bit of a run and a justifiable reason for going out.
Be very careful as an 82 yo :( If possible try and make a call on others to help out I would suggest.

Ah, yes that's the word or term. As an 82 Yr old who's probably senile in a lot of people's opinion, I couldn't bring it to mind at the appropriate moment. If push comes to shove, I'll connect to the - ve earth 'strip' on the bulkhead and keep fingers crossed.
If you post the make model I’m happy to look to see where the most appropriate points are. That trick with the bulkhead definitely works on older cars but there may be better and safer locations. Especially if the battery is quite low already.

Be very careful as an 82 yo :( If possible try and make a call on others to help out I would suggest.
That suggestion is fine theoretically but in practise?
Anyroad, I don't have any underlying health problems so people all shouldn't be tarred with the same brush. IMHO.

Last edited:
Is anyone else's elderly parents not heeding the 12 week isolation rules?

Both my parents and in laws are still going out and about to the shops. In part because they don't have, or can't get a home delivery slot, and secondly because for them life goes on. I suppose because they are all retired they haven't had the impact of businesses closing.

If you post the make model I’m happy to look to see where the most appropriate points are. That trick with the bulkhead definitely works on older cars but there may be better and safer locations. Especially if the battery is quite low already.
Thanks. It's a 2016 plate VW MK7 Golf with 1.4 TSI petrol engine and manual gearbox. My S/S system rarely works anyway in the Winter months because of low weekly mileage. And when it does eventually work with the Spring /Summer day outings I always turn off the damn system - it can't win!

Last edited:
Is anyone else's elderly parents not heeding the 12 week isolation rules?

Both my parents and in laws are still going out and about to the shops. In part because they don't have, or can't get a home delivery slot, and secondly because for them life goes on. I suppose because they are all retired they haven't had the impact of businesses closing.

That 12 week isolation is only for those with severe health conditions I thought, wasn't that sent out to like 1.5m people?

Anyway I have a relative that got the NHS message about isolating for 12 weeks as he has a respiratory condition, he is staying in.

Thanks. It's a 2016 plate VW MK7 Golf with 1.4 TSI petrol engine and manual gearbox. My S/S system rarely works anyway in the Winter months because of low weekly mileage. And when it does eventually work with the Spring /Summer day outings I always turn off the damn system - it can't win!

The battery has been playing up on my 2016 MK7 recently. Bought a charger last week. You connect directly to the positive terminal. Connect the negative to the bulkhead point directly behind the battery (near the windscreen). If you're still not sure where I mean, I'll pop out and take a photo.

The important bit is to not connect directly to the negative terminal as it bypasses the battery monitor.

The battery has been playing up on my 2016 MK7 recently. Bought a charger last week. You connect directly to the positive terminal. Connect the negative to the bulkhead point directly behind the battery (near the windscreen). If you're still not sure where I mean, I'll pop out and take a photo.

The important bit is to not connect directly to the negative terminal as it bypasses the battery monitor.
Thanks I appreciate that and realise where that shiny metal tab is. Yes, would not dream of direct connection to the negative ve pole on the battery.
It was so simple in the 50s/60s etc.

Thanks I appreciate that and realise where that shiny metal tab is. Yes, would not dream of direct connection to the negative ve pole on the battery.
It was so simple in the 50s/60s etc.

I suspect my battery is shot. It refused to turn over at all last week. It had a full charge which took about 7 hours on a trickle charger. I've lost confidence in it now, and getting it changed is likely to be difficult at this time. I would buy another and swap it, but you have to get them recoded to the car, if it's a different model battery. Technology eh?!

I suspect my battery is shot. It refused to turn over at all last week. It had a full charge which took about 7 hours on a trickle charger. I've lost confidence in it now, and getting it changed is likely to be difficult at this time. I would buy another and swap it, but you have to get them recoded to the car, if it's a different model battery. Technology eh?!
Indeed, the once simple work on cars is no longer the case and of course special, expensive batteries are required.

That 12 week isolation is only for those with severe health conditions I thought, wasn't that sent out to like 1.5m people?

We should ALL be limiting contact as much as possible for as long as possible. Ultimately, everything is advisory and people make their own choices. But what many seem to be overlooking when doing their own risk assessment is the drain on resources should they fall ill. Too many have no concept of social responsibility (this is not directed at anyone replying here).

You are a bit far away from me, regardless of travel restrictions, but otherwise, I could have coded it no problem. There is a section in the motoring forum of others who have that capability. That is for VCDS so for VAG cars. I have that, but also universal tools for any vehicle.

On BMW's there is a connector on the battery terminal for ECU monitoring of it's condition, They can be unplugged and the car will start even with a low battery. Useful for an emergency. Enabling you to use the car until you get a new battery.
All it will do is charge the battery all the time instead of smart charging.

Maybe yours is the same?

You are a bit far away from me, regardless of travel restrictions, but otherwise, I could have coded it no problem. There is a section in the motoring forum of others who have that capability. That is for VCDS so for VAG cars. I have that, but also universal tools for any vehicle.
Useful to know. Once this mess is over I'll have to get it sorted properly. Cheers
On BMW's there is a connector on the battery terminal for ECU monitoring of it's condition, They can be unplugged and the car will start even with a low battery. Useful for an emergency. Enabling you to use the car until you get a new battery.
All it will do is charge the battery all the time instead of smart charging.

Maybe yours is the same?
It certainly has a battery monitor connection. May well give that a try if I'm in a tight spot.

I must confess, I have been using mine for the last 12 months unplugged. I think it was the £389 price of the battery that persuaded me :rotfl:

@HHGTTG
An clear answer to your original question from those who know better than us. See line 5.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, though I was certain it was the case.
It‘s tough, but has to be done. I wish you well. Stay safe and cheerful.

@HHGTTG
An clear answer to your original question from those who know better than us. See line 5.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, though I was certain it was the case.
It‘s tough, but has to be done. I wish you well. Stay safe and cheerful.

Thanks. I have been coming to that conclusion also.

To those thinking this virus is not gonna get them and not staying at home (if they can work permitting)
I've read about half a dozen posts today 1 friend and his wife have the virus ....touch wood they are recovering
A few friends posting that they have friends seriously ill with the virus
And 1 friend posting a little while ago that sadly a friend of his had passed away because of it
These are all friends in the North West not dotted round the country or world
But here close to home
Please everyone just stay in keep safe keep your family safe
If you can't follow those simple rules then you will be the next one we hear about either with the virus or dead because of it
Those that have to work take all the precautions you can and stay safe and thank you for doing what you do

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom