Life continuing as normal for many people despite Coronavirus, it seems

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Solutions
Reaction score
Found this video

which coincides with my experience that many people are very much carrying on life as normal.
I've been in some very crowded city areas recently and aside from a tiny number of people wearing masks, you wouldn't guess that there was a global pandemic.
Perhaps it's the low mortality rate that has so many people so unconcerned.

Are you, like me, a little surprised at the apparent normality of life? Reminds me a bit of the 'Dunkirk spirit'. No pesky virus is going to stop me from doing my normal stuff.

Bit worrying isnt it. I take it these people havent seen Italy lately. All those people that could have it without any signs of being infected could be infecting so many. I think until you witness something in person, you choose to just ignore it.

You will be infectious the day before you show signs so a lot of people are going to spread without knowing. They are also going to get a practical demonstration of exponential growth.

Not really changed any of my habits yet. See how things plan out I guess.

You will be infectious the day before you show signs so a lot of people are going to spread without knowing. They are also going to get a practical demonstration of exponential growth.
I believe that you can be infectious for a number of days before you show any symptoms - not just one day.

For me personally, I work in the City of London and I am just continuing as normal. I see some people around with masks and surgical gloves. (Not sure what use the gloves are - at least the surgical masks are proven to be effective at stopping someone from spreading the disease - even if they are not very effective at stopping you getting it.)

This isn't any kind of Dunkirk or Blitz spirit on my part - it is just that for now at least, the risk appears to be very low.

It is interesting how people react to a risk because it is new rather than the absolute degree of risk. For example, in the UK the government estimates that air pollution kills between 28,000 and 36,000 people per year every year - but I don't see many people worried about it (how many people in London wear masks to block particulate pollution?) or any massive Government campaign to reduce it significantly. If someone said though that a new disease would come along and kill 30,000 people we/UK govt would take massive action to try to stop it.

Of course, COVID 19 does have the potential to kill far more than 30,000 with the central estimate seeming to be around 100,000 fatalities.

Nothing much has changed as far as our family and friends are concerned. Just tightened up on personal hygiene (wash hands much more often, toilet seat closed before flushing etc), but that's it.

Life goes on.

The only changes I've seen are the panic buying and a couple of my friends have taken their kids out of school. No idea why they've done that though as they're leaving the kids (teenagers) home alone while they're carry on their normal lives.

I've had a few people mention to me how surprised they are at people carrying on as normal despite the fact that they themselves are too. Why do people expect everyone else to change their behaviour, but not change their own?

I haven’t done a single thing differently since hearing about the virus.

gradually getting more worried as each day passes though.

Save for 1 isle in my local Tesco being empty. Not seen/noticed any difference yet.

It’s the big topic at work now though.

It’s the big topic everywhere you go. I go to a lot of places during the day and meet a lot of people. It’s making Brexit seem like a fairytale.

As I said about a week ago, it still feels like that calm warm Sunday in September 1939 when Britain and Germany officially went to war. Life carried on, nobody panicked. Sadly, I think we're mere weeks away from the biological blitz now.

Found this video

which coincides with my experience that many people are very much carrying on life as normal.
I've been in some very crowded city areas recently and aside from a tiny number of people wearing masks, you wouldn't guess that there was a global pandemic.
Perhaps it's the low mortality rate that has so many people so unconcerned.

Are you, like me, a little surprised at the apparent normality of life? Reminds me a bit of the 'Dunkirk spirit'. No pesky virus is going to stop me from doing my normal stuff.

The main issue is , we are going to get it across the board from what I can see , even if you lock yourself away, you have to come out sometime when you do, it will get you......….

the issue is many people dont seem to be worried...going out in public places without any mask..a mask is most definitely better than no mask at all.

the issue is many people dont seem to be worried...going out in public places without any mask..a mask is most definitely better than no mask at all.
I don't disagree but mask or no mask we are probably all pretty much going to get it.

That will change when loved ones start dying on mass. That's really what it will take to change behaviours and break the complacency and dismissive attitudes.

:facepalm:

NHS, FDA, WHO and various other medical professionals and organisations say that wearing a mask is neither going to protect you and will possibly do more harm than good.

The main purpose of a mask as has been seen in SE Asia for many years is those people have colds, coughs and sneezes and wear them to protect others in society from them, not for their own personal protection.

NHS, FDA, WHO and various other medical professionals and organisations say that wearing a mask is neither going to protect you and will possibly do more harm than good.

The main purpose of a mask as has been seen in SE Asia for many years is those people have colds, coughs and sneezes and wear them to protect others in society from them, not for their own personal protection.
LOL it’s like freaky Friday, it has to be repeated over and over and over again.

The thing is, this is the time to consider how selfish you are being as a person.
It''s not about YOU or ME it's about everyone else.

Sure, we may be fine, but our actions could very easily harm others, even lead to killing someone, all because you did not want to change your life just one little bit as it was slightly inconvenient.

Perhaps it time we took a more openly negative view to those who just carry on as normal as they are only thinking of what they want to do.

Very much like most smokers were a few years ago, when they'd happily light up and puff smoke over you and children without so much as a second thought.

It's not going to hurt you to minimize what you do and where you go for a short while.
Perhaps if it was your mother/father who was going to die due to your actions you may take this a bit more seriously.

The tinfoil hat in me thinks isn't it nice no riots in China, France, Greece, Germany, Hungary, UK, America.

But that's my tinfoil hat talking.

My mum and dad both late 60's have gone away for 2 weeks to the lakes.
Both have long term illnesses, one a bad chest, the other fibromyalgia.
Tbh wish they'd just stop in.
I'll be going to work this week and finishing all my jobs.
Nothing booked in for next week now.
Just had emails from suppliers telling me they would keep open as long as possible.

No change in Wiltshire/southwest. Schools still open. Everyone going about their business as usual (as seen by the bath half the other day)... although less ppl. I guess people here are just following the governments advice as news trickles out each day.
At some point very soon I think schools will close... not sure about my workplace though...
Like everywhere else shops seem low or empty of pasta / toilet rolls etc.

Has anyone noticed how there’s no traffic on the roads?

my usual school run was clear which is really unusual.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom