Quantcast

Life continuing as normal for many people despite Coronavirus, it seems

Tempest

Distinguished Member
Road at the end of my street can get busy with football traffic at a set of traffic lights.

Minorly inconvenient but not a big deal.

It's jammed today, presumably as everyone is off to see Mum & Dad, Gran and Grandpa, no other reason for it to be that busy.
Well, they probably won't be seeing them next year now then! :(
Wonder if they will blame themselves?
People still don't understand do they.

mjn

Distinguished Member
Next door are an elderly couple, he had a heart attack last year and is quite frail, i have just seen his kids/grandchildren descend on the house, all 18 of them, wtf............
Yup, elderly couple live next door. Their son arrived earlier complete with his children. Both elderly parents have health problems.

pixel8

The consensus is that masks can help prevent the spread of the virus by infected individuals.
WHO: Wear a mask if you are coughing or sneezing.

Plenty on ebay, albeit vastly over priced.
If not available, masks can be made in the home.
Cambridge scientists tested 0.02 micron Bacteriophage MS2 particles (5 times smaller than the coronavirus) & compared homemade masks made of different materials to surgical masks.
Surgical mask blocks 89%
Vacuum cleaning bag 85%
Dish Towel 73%
T shirt 70%

View attachment 1272205

Objective: This study examined homemade masks as an alternative to commercial face masks.
Methods: Several household materials were evaluated for the capacity to block bacterial and viral aerosols. Twenty-one healthy volunteers made their own face masks from cotton t-shirts; the masks were then tested for fit. The number of microorganisms isolated from coughs of healthy volunteers wearing their homemade mask, a surgical mask, or no mask was compared using several air-sampling techniques.
Results: The median-fit factor of the homemade masks was one-half that of the surgical masks. Both
masks significantly reduced the number of microorganisms expelled by volunteers
, although the
surgical mask was 3 times more effective in blocking transmission than the homemade mask.
Conclusion: Our findings suggest that a homemade mask should only be considered as a last resort to
prevent droplet transmission from infected individuals, but it would be better than no protection.
(Disaster Med Public Health Preparedness. 2013;0:1–6)

(PDF) Testing the Efficacy of Homemade Masks: Would They Protect in an Influenza Pandemic?

What type of 'bacterial infection' precisely? What bacteria are airborne and pose a larger risk breathing them in or out through a mask than breathing them in or out unfiltered from the air straight into/out of the mouth and nose? What is the exact risk of an untreatable by antibiotics 'bacterial infection' from a mask? Is that risk larger or smaller than any protection gained by use of a mask for an individual or those they might infect? Sources and citations please.

I can't find the original post from @The Dreamer so will quote from the reply above
if you’re wearing gloves, you’re not washing your hands, so all you’re doing is collecting more and more germs/virus, not getting rid of it - and when you take those gloves off, where do you think the virus is going to go?

1. Can't see any reason why you can't wash your gloved hands i.e. the surface of the gloves just as effectively as washing your bare hands.
So why does soap work so well on the Sars-CoV-2, the coronavirus and indeed most viruses? The short story: because the virus is a self-assembled nanoparticle in which the weakest link is the lipid (fatty) bilayer. Soap dissolves the fat membrane and the virus falls apart like a house of cards and dies – or rather, we should say it becomes inactive as viruses aren’t really alive.
The science of soap – here’s how it kills the coronavirus | Pall Thordarson

2. In the bin along with the gloves. Wash your hands after removing the gloves. Any virus spread if you touch the skin while removing the gloves is then inactivated/removed from the skin.

Any virus on the gloves in the bin is not dangerous unless it is touched but to be doubly safe you could always put the gloves into a plastic bag before putting into the bin. By the time the bin bag ends up in the tip the virus will be long dead/inactivated.
Excellent post :thumbsup:

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
I had a customer early last week COPD, pneumonia, over 80.
Daughter really worried about her health, and the virus.
Both sat there smoking like chimneys.
😬
Just don't understand peoples thought process.

pixel8

This is very true - but people tend not to. They wear gloves, seeing them as protection, and miss out the washing bit. If one is disciplined enough to wash their hands, while wearing the gloves, then I guess that would work.
As far as masks go, unless they are N95 (FPP2/3?), then they are more effective in catching droplets expelled by the wearer, than they are at protecting from virus particles. So, for people wearing surgical masks, it is to give patients protection from them, rather than the other way around. Wearing N95 masks will afford protection from virus particles - but these are generally difficult to wear for long periods, as they do restrict airflow.
...Dads 86 and has blood leukaemia, copd and heart issues so he’s very much in the high risk category.
...Now I’m thinking ...we shouldn’t be going into see them at all, I am cooking their roast dinner today and decided I’m leaving it on the doorstep for them.
What do you think ?...
Do you really have to ask that question? Life continuing as normal for many people despite Coronavirus, it seems
Make sure you take your shoes off before you enter, wash effectively as you enter, stay 2m away all times. You should be safe.
OK - How many times have we came from outside to inside then coughed or sneezed due to temperature changes - ALL the time. This is not good advice - You can carry this without symptoms for days and a simple cough -ONE cough or sneeze - ONE sneeze could mean life or death for some. :nono:

doug56hl

Distinguished Member
Excellent post :thumbsup:
Thanks.

There are some in the thread who for whatever reason seek to emphasise that masks serve no purpose.
But they do help to prevent spread of infection via coughs and sneezes.

Think of the situation where one person in a household is infected and has to self isolate. Think of the worse situation where one or more of the family in that household has an underlying medical condition which puts them at higher risk.

In most households doing the required isolation will be difficult. For example how many houses have multiple toilets and kitchens or spare bedrooms. Anything which helps an infected family member prevent passing on the infection to others in their family can only be useful. Even, if neccessary, a homemade mask.

If they can't spread the virus by breathing it out, coughing or sneezing to surfaces where other family members may pick it up it can help reduce the risks. Remember the virus can remain active for up to 3 days depending on the surface it is sitting on.

People are told to wash their hands frequently with soap and water.
But I've seen no mention of a need to sterilize the taps themselves on every use.
  • Virus on hands, turn on the tap, is some virus now on the tap?
  • Wash hands and get rid of the virus. Turn off the tap, is virus now on the hands again?
  • Would the next person to use the tap also possibly pick up the virus on their hands?

johnny-17

Looks like life isn’t going to carry on in quite the same way, if you read the current news reports on how we’ve all enjoyed the sunshine at the coast and countryside today - TOGETHER :facepalm:

I guess we’re going to get what we deserve, sooner than we think :devil:

Last edited:

Dave M

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

There are some in the thread who for whatever reason seek to emphasise that masks serve no purpose.

Think of the situation where one person in a household is infected and has to self isolate. Think of the worse situation where one or more of the family in that household has an underlying medical condition which puts them at higher risk.

In most households doing the required isolation will be difficult. For example how many houses have multiple toilets and kitchens or spare bedrooms. Anything which helps an infected family member prevent passing on the infection to others in their family can only be useful. Even, if neccessary, a homemade mask.

If they can't spread the virus by breathing it out, coughing or sneezing to surfaces where other family members may pick it up it can help reduce the risks. Remember the virus can remain active for up to 3 days depending on the surface it is sitting on.

People are told to wash their hands frequently with soap and water.
But I've seen no mention of a need to sterilize the taps themselves on every use.
  • Wash hands and get rid of the virus. Turn off the tap, is virus now on the hands again?
  • Would the next person to use the tap also possibly pick up the virus on their hands?
Good point. I thought the same and have been spraying Detol on door handles and taps, toilets and light switches. Hard though when you live with 2 (older) kids. They "say" they are washing their hands but I very much doubt as much as I am.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member

I have 3 or 4 3M FFP2 masks accumulated that no doubt I should have used for various DIY tasks in the past, but didn't. I'm holding on to them in case of the scenarios you mention above as measures of last recourse as I don't believe as someone without medical training that I'm likely to wear them competently in general circulation for it not to be more of a hazard than a benefit to me.

IronGiant

Hard though when you live with 2 (older) kids. They "say" they are washing their hands but I very much doubt as much as I am.
My 16 and 18 year old's completely get it. It's not that difficult o_O

Sloppy Bob

If nothing changes and people don't listen it's going to be a lockdown like Spain, Germany, France etc here.

And it would be the right decision.

I can't believe the number of people in the park behind my estate, kids gathering, people off to visit beaches, Mum and Gran etc.
Utterly moronic.

Leo31291

Distinguished Member
Why do you need to take your whole family shopping!? It's madness.

Dave M

Distinguished Member
My 16 and 18 year old's completely get it. It's not that difficult o_O
It’s probably me being paranoid. They’ve both been here all day, at home, in the garden, garage etc and no one else here. I think I expect them to wash every time they come in. If I were here on my own I’d disinfect everything and then feel safer.

It’s probably me being paranoid. They’ve both been here all day, at home, in the garden, garage etc and no one else here. I think I expect them to wash every time they come in. If I were here on my own I’d disinfect everything and then feel safer.
Why would the virus in its current form be in your garden, garage etc? Is there any particular reason why you suspect it to be there? Sure washing hands is important but let's not go overboard imo...

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member
Why would the virus in its current form be in your garden, garage etc? Is there any particular reason why you suspect it to be there? Sure washing hands is important but let's not go overboard imo...
Virus is transmittal for:

Clothing - a few hours but unknown
Metal - 12 hours
Plastics - 48 hours

It stays on flat surfaces longer.

nheather

Distinguished Member
If nothing changes and people don't listen it's going to be a lockdown like Spain, Germany, France etc here.

And it would be the right decision.

I can't believe the number of people in the park behind my estate, kids gathering, people off to visit beaches, Mum and Gran etc.
Utterly moronic.
I had it from a reliable source that extreme measures were to be introduced this weekend. That didn’t happen but in the days running up during Boris’s daily update there were some very pointed questions around the exact measures I had heard but on this occasions Boris said that wasn’t going to happen. I suspect, he was advised to hold off, but given the behaviour (people ignoring the advice) we saw at the weekend I would not be surprised to see them implemented over the next few days.

Cheers,

Nigel

Virus is transmittal for:

Clothing - a few hours but unknown
Metal - 12 hours
Plastics - 48 hours

It stays on flat surfaces longer.
Indeed. In my own garden, I'm not concerned.

But just look at a Petrol station. I kid you not, nobody was wearing any gloves when handling the pumps, nor are there hand wash facilities. And then also still paying with their pin numbers. It is just unbelievable how irresponsible some are.

I had it from a reliable source that extreme measures were to be introduced this weekend. That didn’t happen but in the days running up during Boris’s daily update there were some very pointed questions around the exact measures I had heard but on this occasions Boris said that wasn’t going to happen. I suspect, he was advised to hold off, but given the behaviour (people ignoring the advice) we saw at the weekend I would not be surprised to see them implemented over the next few days.

Cheers,

Nigel
Agreed and it is a fudgeing shame. Those resources are so much better used in other ways. Just because idiots don't have a sense of personal responsibility, and will ultimately spoil it for us all.

I'd not be surprised when they become the loudest voice against it and have no self-awareness that they caused it themselves.

keithwiggins

But just look at a Petrol station. I kid you not, nobody was wearing any gloves when handling the pumps, nor are there hand wash facilities. And then also still paying with their pin numbers. It is just unbelievable how irresponsible some are.
The Stupid will be the death of us! but seriously looking at the disgraceful behaviour of people over the weekend allied to whats been happening at supermarkets, if people wont voluntarily change there misguided habits then the wider powers will have to force them.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member

I was pleased to see at the Costco filling station, disposable gloves were available, and signs encouraging people to use them.

I‘d suggest at the very least, using a hand sanitiser after touching any surface that others may have used - but petrol stations are especially vulnerable to being a transmission pathway, as the time between people touching the same surface (pump handle, pin pad etc.) is so small.

gangzoom

Good thing we have a car that can be refuelled from home, and another one that will do 50mpg+ so don't need filing up for another month at the earliest :p................

.............Just a shame am using my car to take me to a place where there is the highest concretion of confirmed COVID+ people in the city!!

But the images of people having a bank holiday joy or even the mass congregation of people at our local cricket ground yesterday to presumably chat about things really shows for a lot of people life is just carrying on as normal. Sadly its not unit they or someone they know falls ill, and than realise their local hospital is completely overrun and shut the seriousness of our current situation will be realised :(.

BB3Lions

Distinguished Member

It truly is a sign of the ignorant times we live in. When the body count start mounting, loved ones and neighbours start dying, that's when the morons will pay attention, or not.

To be brutally honest, anyone who dies due to being ignorant, despite the warnings, deserves to die.

And point to add, once this is over in 12+ months when they find the cure, I really hope China stops the way its people treat food.

Good thing we have a car that can be refuelled from home, and another one that will do 50mpg+ so don't need filing up for another month at the earliest :p................
Oh dear oh dear. All that experience and you haven't learned anything. Haven't you heard the prophecy by the great prophet Mad Max?

You need a V8 preferably supercharged :thumbsup:

But the images of people having a bank holiday joy or even the mass congregation of people at our local cricket ground yesterday to presumably chat about things really shows for a lot of people life is just carrying on as normal. Sadly its not unit they or someone they know falls ill, and than realise their local hospital is completely overrun and shut the seriousness of our current situation will be realised :(.
It was utterly ridiculous, and I'm sure the 'holidays' continue with the nice weather forecast for the next few days, schools and colleges out, and many people working from home who never worked from home before and perhaps not yet realise that is means working from home.

I honestly can't comprehend how some people manage to breathe by themselves, they are that stupid.

gangzoom

A really good question, I've just looked it up.

It appears COV2 behaves very much like other similar viruses in terms of survival. The experimental data shows warm water at PH 8.0 inactivates the virus very well (washing hands essentially). Also don't forget this isn't a bacteria, eg: It can reproduce by it self outside the human body, so even if some one smears a load of virus on a tap handle, just the process of having water flow over the handle will remove a significant amount of the virus.

Latest News

Huawei launches Vision X65 OLED TV in China
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Virgin Media adds more free Sky channels
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Disney Plus reaches 50 million subscribers globally
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung to end Smart View app support on older TVs
  • By Andy Bassett