Life Choices, buying houses, careers and travelling options...

zed4

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm at a point in my life where I don't know what to do with myself! I have a reasonable job selling sportsboats and RIB's, paying above the average salary but I live in the New Forest where a decent 3 bed house is £300k plus and everything else is much more expensive. I do enjoy my job but I've been here for 4 years and I don't see a way of progressing any further. Promises of opening another branch in Mallorca were mentioned years ago with the idea that I could manage it but nothing has ever materialised or even been discussed since. Since then the owners of the company have decided to move back overseas so after 68 years as a family run firm the company is up for sale. The marine trade isn't doing great at the moment and although I work for a very strong and reputable company which is making good profits still, business is still slow. The company will be sold as a going concern so I'm not worried about my job being at risk. Also for the price and current market place, I don't think it will sell in the near future anyway.

Now with that in mind, I'm loathed to go and find a job with another marine firm as I feel I won't be in as good a position as I am now, in a secure job, large reputable company well placed in our market. A lot of other marine firms are going bankrupt. Having said that, I've no experience doing anything else. My main passions are cars, boats, cycling, music and film. During school I wanted to be a sound engineer for live shows or at a recording studio but as I left school I changed my mind and went to work in the marine trade. I'm aware that to work in the AV field, I'm going to need qualifications and experience. I also looked at working as a home cinema fitter, which I think I'd really enjoy. I've loads of thoughts and ideas I my head for what I would like to do and to be honest I have no idea! My main worry are finances. Because I don't know what I want to do with myself in the long term, I haven't laid down any roots really. My girlfriend and I live in a house owned by her parents which we rent very cheaply. We have looked into buying but we can't afford anything around here. Ideas are as follows:

Move to Mallorca for a bit and try to find some work in the marine trade (I have started to learn Spanish and completed a beginners course equivalent to GCSE)
Travel for a bit (my sister has spent the past 9 months in Australia and loved it)
Move to Cornwall for a while (my girlfriends parents have just moved down there and I really love it there, although my girlfriend doesn't like the slow pace of life!)
Stay put and buy a house, although it would be a crappy house for our budget or just continue renting.
Stay put but find a different job maybe and buy a house
Other options include buying property to rent out and do something else with my life, or staying put but building a house above my fathers workshop at his house.

I don't feel settled at the moment. I feel anxious and worried about the future. I'm 25, have reasonable savings but just not really enough for a 20% deposit on a decent house around here. I'm also wary of the fact that if I do go travelling for a while, I'll use up my house deposit money, which I don't want to do. I do feel though, that if I do buy a house then I'll be tied to it and we won't have any opportunity to move abroad again. I feel a bit bored in my current job. Frustrated about how the company is run and people's attitudes here. I'd love to work for a company where everyone is happy and very enthusiastic about the job and the company. Here everyone keeps themselves to themselves really, no one works as a team and everyone is depressed and moaning about something. Not that it's a bad company to work for, it's just I think some people have lost their motivation.

It's probably worth noting that I was offered a job with a large Apple retailer on the south coast selling Apple products to school, universities and other large establishments, good pay but with very good commission but I turned it down. I didn't think I would enjoy it very much.

Anyone have any thoughts on any of the above? I know none of it is a question as such, and more just ramblings, but sometimes it helps to get it all written down and to get other people's opinions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
OT, but do you sell FRCs?
We occasionally buy them.
If you PM'd me your company details, I can add you to our vendor list and give you a shout for quotes.:smashin:

Attachments

• FRC.jpg
    FRC.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 50
I’m 25, have reasonable savings but just not really enough for a 20% deposit on a decent house around here. I’m also wary of the fact that if I do go travelling for a while,

I went to Australia when i was 22. Then Canada when i was 26. Now that im 31, i still managed to get the house /mortgage.

Life is so much more than just having property, stable income etc.

Take your saving and go travelling. Simple. You'll be richer in the longer run....;)

I had this issue a while back and ended up going to university at 23 to become an engineer! Got given a load of financial support as i was a mature student and am currently in the middle of my second year and am very glad i did it! Lifestyle is excellent if you want to have a few years different from work, Made loads of good mates (not all younger than me), and low overheads so you wouldn't destroy your savings

Up until the age of 35 there is little now to stop you changing careers, the only thing that holds a lot of people back is lack of confidence and being scared of the drastic change that comes with it! Government changes to fee system could be a problem but alot of courses are sub 15hrs a week so working a bit ain't really an issue at the same time!

Just an idea and good luck whatever you decide! :smashin:

I went to Australia when i was 22. Then Canada when i was 26. Now that im 31, i still managed to get the house /mortgage.

Life is so much more than just having property, stable income etc.

Take your saving and go travelling. Simple. You'll be richer in the longer run....;)

The other things is I tend to worry and get overly anxious. I gues sI'm a bit too cautious. I have a lot of ideas but I don't always ptu them to use. I'm at my happiest when I have a stable income, money in my current account and savings in the bank. I hate having debt and I don't like feeling insecure. I do think that travelling would put me out of my comfort zone, but maybe that's what I need?

I don’t feel settled at the moment. I feel anxious and worried about the future. I’m 25, have reasonable savings but just not really enough for a 20% deposit on a decent house around here.

If your jobs secure as you say, it's difficult to see where your worries lie personally. I only see positives in your life Dan based on what I've read above. I wouldn't worry about buying a house, the day's of them going up 10% year on year like the early day's of the millenium are long gone imo.

If your jobs secure as you say, it's difficult to see where your worries lie personally. I only see positives in your life Dan based on what I've read above. I wouldn't worry about buying a house, the day's of them going up 10% year on year like the early day's of the millenium are long gone imo.

Don't get me wrong, I am very grateful for everything that I have and I appreciate I am in a very fortunate position compared to a lot of people. I would never say I am in a bad position as I feel very lucky to live in a lovely area, have an interesting job with reasonable pay and to have a wonderful girlfriend and family.

I feel anxious that I haven't done the things I wanted to do, like spend a bit of time abroad for example, or maybe I'm itching after a career change.

The other things is I tend to worry and get overly anxious. I gues sI'm a bit too cautious. I have a lot of ideas but I don't always ptu them to use. I'm at my happiest when I have a stable income, money in my current account and savings in the bank. I hate having debt and I don't like feeling insecure. I do think that travelling would put me out of my comfort zone, but maybe that's what I need?

Nothing wrong with being cautious, we wouldn't have half the problems we've got now if caution hadn't gone out of fashion.

I feel anxious that I haven't done the things I wanted to do, like spend a bit of time abroad for example, or maybe I'm itching after a career change.

Have you thought of approaching your employer and enquiring about a sabatical from work. That way you get a bit of travelling in and you've got something secure to come home to. I'm just over a decade older than you and I just don't think it's a good time to be doing anything drastic.

Sounds to me like your stuck in a bit of a rut and are trying to find a way to liven things up! Go on holiday for a bit and have a think abut where you want to be in 10 years (not only houses but career and personnal life wise) nothing concrete and nothing too specific as you'll be disapointed when things outside your control change it but just ideas. eg: good career, interesting job, comfortable house, nice car, etc etc and also make a list of things you want to do before you hit 35 eg: bungy jump, see new york etc etc! Then try and work out how to go about getting them!

Just an idea???

Do need a holiday! Off to Greece in May for some sailing and very much looking forward to that. I am seriously thinking it might be time to spend a couple of weeks out in Mallorca and see if I can get any contacts out there.

I go with the travel option. :smashin:

I managed to buy a house a few years ago and now everything has went a bit pair shaped. Life is full of ups and downs. I have no ties and the only urge I have is to travel and go to university.

Can you not live on a boat ;)

I go with the travel option. :smashin:

I managed to buy a house a few years ago and now everything has went a bit pair shaped. Life is full of ups and downs. I have no ties and the only urge I have is to travel and go to university.

Can you not live on a boat ;)

Considered living on a boat. Tempted to spend £30k on a little boat in the Med to be honest and just float around!!

Considered living on a boat. Tempted to spend £30k on a little boat in the Med to be honest and just float around!!

Row, row, row your boat,
Gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily,
Life is but a dream.

Seriously, stop dreaming; stop talking; make up your mind what you want to do and get on with it.

Er... Do I sound like a parent? :D

Im in a similar situation to yourself. I have a decent job but nothing special, circa around £20k a year. I have savings, which I was going to use for a house, but now I've got the itch to travel, or go to Uni (which I never did). The idea of Uni is good, as a typical degree lasts 3 years, so by the end hopefully the job market will be alot better. Have you spoke to friends/family about your situation? Also, what about your girlfriend? Would she travel with you?

Im in a similar situation to yourself. I have a decent job but nothing special, circa around £20k a year. I have savings, which I was going to use for a house, but now I've got the itch to travel, or go to Uni (which I never did). The idea of Uni is good, as a typical degree lasts 3 years, so by the end hopefully the job market will be alot better. Have you spoke to friends/family about your situation? Also, what about your girlfriend? Would she travel with you?

She wants to travel or work abroad even more than I do! We currently work together but she isn't very happy in her current position. She's been in the job for 5 or 6 years now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom