Life after Sky

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Nickphoto, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Nickphoto

Nickphoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Helo all,

I'm sure this has been posted on the forums,. but after a search I couldn't find anything definitive.
    I'v just got rid of Sky (They cancelled my contract after 5 visits by their Mesh team couldn't resolve a mini box connectivity issue) and I now have 31 days to find a solution.

My concerns are this: The living room TV is a smart TV so I can have Netflix and a Freeview box in their. The kids playroom TV isn't a smart TV. How do I feed TV into their room? Ditto with the bedrooms upstairs. 2 TV's neither smart.

Ideally I would like a solution that gives me a decent UI and is relatively easy to install?

Also, suggestions as to a Freeview provider would really be welcome as I have been with Sky since their first week of operating!
    TIA,
    Nick

2. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    There is only one Freeview provider. Do you have a suitable TV aerial?

If not the existing Sky dish could be used for Freesat though will probably need an LNB change. Does your existing TV has a satellite tuner?

If you want Freeview and subscription channels called Youview then, BT, EE, Plusnet and TalkTalk can provide suitabe boxes and subscriptions.

If you want Freesat and some subscription channels then Humax make suitable boxes and you purchase subscriptions separately.

Smart functions can be added via a most current Freeview boxes, Youview boxes, current Freesat boxes or other boxes / sticks like a Bluray player, Amazon Fire, Chromecast, NowTV, Roku etc and you purchase subscriptions separately.

3. Nickphoto

Nickphoto
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the detailed reply. I should have mentioned I have no aerial, although I’m not adverse to having one fitted. Basically whatever it takes to get TV! I’m with EE for my broadband, so it may be worth speaking to them. BT won’t provide TV without me also having their broadband so that’s a non starter unfortunately.

4. Fred Smith

Fred Smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +407
    You will need a TV aerial for EE's TV box and Freeview.

5. Rodders53

Rodders53

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +908
    Option 1:
    Fit a UHF terrestrial TV antenna (aerial) to get Freeview and provide outlets in each room/location needed via a passive or powered splitter.
    Do, though, check your detailed predictions first: Audio Video Home Entertainment Resource and Community | AVForums (tick the box)
    Not all places get the complete TV channel line-up available to other locations.

Option 2:
    Use the $ky dish (with a new quad or octo lnb) to feed satellite PVRs and receivers in each room. (Unless you were savvy enough to request/demand a 6-output 'hybrid lnb' which works with Q and older satellite receivers.
    Freesat has a reasonable channel line up - the notable missing one is Channel 4 HD (SD is there).

Option 3:
    Ditch both satellite and terrestrial and use internet streamed services only. Even for 'live' programmes.
    Biggest issue for you with this is the 'mesh' issue with Q and its mini-siblings which suggest your dwelling doesn't do wifi too well. {Many other interfering networks close by? Thick stone walls? Foul backed insulation and/or plasterboard? Large and rambling dwelling?}.
    This one is likely to need some hard-wired ethernet cabling, extra wifi access points in rooms, switches and such items installing unless the devices used to supply video have ethernet sockets on them (Fire sticks and similar rely on congested wifi networks in the homes I believe).
    Dunno if you've asked on relevant Q forums for advice on that.
    $ky mostly employ semi-skilled technicians and often means they can't diagnose a real technical issue that wasn't in their short training course. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. B17NNS

B17NNS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +115
    TV aerial with points to each location.

Fire TV sticks to make the dumb TV's smart.

Freeview and Netflix (and Amazon if you want it) to every TV.