Life after PX-100

doublej

Established Member
Reaction score
My PX 100s aren't broken. Just retired hurt.

Where next for 50 quid tops ?

I've seen some lovely retro ish Fostex T7s ! but it would be mail order so wouldn't be able to listen to them...

I've just been in exactly the same position as you, my PX100's broke a few weeks back. I seached around for a while looking for the best replacement but for under £40. After much searching and pondering I went for a set of i-Grado's which cost me £30 from Amazon. They've arrived today and with what little listen I've had they wipe the floor with the PX100's. I would deffinately give them some serious consideration.

Really ??? That much better ? I hadn't considered them.

Are they open back ? The only thing stopping me from getting SR60's is the fact that pretty much as much noise comes out from the back as goes into the ear.

Ha - he certainly has made his mind up. I'm might get on board. Not a lot of money really.

I'd go to 60 quid for SR 60's but that would be the limit....but can't find them anywhere near that.

I think I'll go for it. it would leave me 20 quid towards some in ear jobs too.

I'll let ya know !

You're thinking the same way I was. If I could have afforded the SR60's, that's what I would have gone for. I figure I haven't spent a fortune on these so I may treat myself in the future as I could do with upgrading the set of Technics I have for TV and 360 listening.

why buy the SR60's when you can buy a pair of Alessandro MS-1's. basically a customized version of the SR80's. ask Alessandro to send them to youas a "gift" so you don't get stung by customs.

http://www.alessandro-products.com/headphones.html

they're $99 including shipping which is a bargain for any UK headphoners. You could buy and try the iGrado's which destroy the Sennheiser twins (pX100/200).

i got mine (iGrado) from iheadphones.co.uk. or you can try getting them from iheadphones via amazon

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-li...olp_2?ie=UTF8&s=gateway&qid=1200123737&sr=8-2

what am i thinking. try the Equation Audio RP21. although not really for walking about town in, they do rock. far more weighty in the bottom end, than anything Grado can muster. they're going for £45, i got them when they were relativy unknown and they cost me nearer to £100.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EQUATION-RP-2...hZ002QQcategoryZ15198QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
why buy the SR60's when you can buy a pair of Alessandro MS-1's. basically a customized version of the SR80's. ask Alessandro to send them to youas a "gift" so you don't get stung by customs.

The Alessandro's really need an amp to get the best out of them, while the SR60's you can just run straight from your iPod easily. Thats the big difference.

i have the SR60's, and they are just phenomenal with my iPod classic. They are truly awe inspiring. You listen to Katie Melua "cry for you" and the song just comes in layers at you, and when she starts singing on top of what has already been, you just cant stop the smile coming. Its like she is there in your head:).

I know i am going in to one here, but they really are that good. So to all the above who are thinking of getting them, do. Its worth the extra cost.

The Alessandro's really need an amp to get the best out of them, while the SR60's you can just run straight from your iPod easily. Thats the big difference.

i agree and disagree. every pair of headphones needs an amp, but my Grado SR125's work fine on my Sony walkman that i bought from cash converters in Stevenage, for £6.

the lower end Grado's/Alessadro's are very forgiving. i always say buy the best headphones you can now, and get the amp later. get the Alessandro's.

i agree and disagree. every pair of headphones needs an amp, but my Grado SR125's work fine on my Sony walkman that i bought from cash converters in Stevenage, for £6.

the lower end Grado's/Alessadro's are very forgiving. i always say buy the best headphones you can now, and get the amp later. get the Alessandro's.

I agree/disagree here. :rotfl:.

The truth is alot of people would not even know the first thing about amps. And without one, certain headphones just wont perform. (like your 125's). They may work fine, but a ferrari can be driven slowly should you wish, but whats the point in buying one to do that.

I still stick with the SR60's for perfect sound straight from the headphone out on an iPod or similar. (or if you prefer iem's then sure, super-fi etc).

I used to think the px100's were the best thing ever, then i had my eyes (i mean ears) opened.

D.

I agree/disagree here. :rotfl:.

The truth is alot of people would not even know the first thing about amps. And without one, certain headphones just wont perform. (like your 125's). They may work fine, but a ferrari can be driven slowly should you wish, but whats the point in buying one to do that.

I still stick with the SR60's for perfect sound straight from the headphone out on an iPod or similar. (or if you prefer iem's then sure, super-fi etc).

I used to think the px100's were the best thing ever, then i had my eyes (i mean ears) opened.

D.

I have to agree with you (though others might not) that the Grado SR60's are a great pair of headphones. So much so that i questioned the value of the price of the SR125's. that SR60 have about 70-80% of the SR125's but the 125's are twice the price.

However, and forgive me Socrates, but i would struggle with my conscience to recommend the SR60's over the Alessandro MS-1's, or the Equation Audio RP21's. For me, if you want portability, without looking a totally plank, then my money would go to the MS-1's. if i was staying indoors, i'd go for the Equation Audio RP21's.

I'm looking to replace my PX100s with something that is either a similar size or in-ear, but with far less leakage. Someone recommended me some AKGs (can't remember the model) which looked similar to PX200s. The alternative is SE210s, but I've never really got on with in-ears before and you can't really try them out. Is it worth the risk?

I will add that I have just noticed today after looking in the mirror with the i-Grado's on, I looked a total ****!!! Bugger...the whole reason for buying them was to use them outdoors.

I will add that I have just noticed today after looking in the mirror with the i-Grado's on, I looked a total ****!!! Bugger...the whole reason for buying them was to use them outdoors.

Who cares what other people think mate. What matters is how the music sounds. You should wear your iGrado's with pride. And laugh in the face of everyone else still using their stock earphones. Now thats what i call someone looking a total ****!!!

(the sad truth is, is we saw a celebrity fool wearing (pro headphones) them out and about, before you know it they would be all the rage and perfectly acceptable to wear)

Well... I saw some SR60s on ebay today before reading this thread.....so hopefully they are on the way.

However.....those Equation Audio jobs look exceptional.....especially at 45 quid.

I think I'm going to order them anyway - really like the look, and if the sound stands up they'll be a bargain.

i'll probably be open to offers on one or the other !

The Equations arrived. Sounding better everyday - i must admit they took some getting used to : the closed back sound is so different - but they light and comfortable and "unique" looking.

Great value at 45 quid.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom