• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Life after OLED, suggestions?

joe1553

Novice Member
Hi Everyone,

Would love some advice on what TV to buy after my LG 55OLEDB7 that I bought just over 2 years ago started overheating and formed a green blotch in the centre of the panel. I was always very careful to never leave static images on in to avoid burn-in, so I’m pretty upset that this has happened outside of the warranty.

I am wondering what you would all consider to be the best Non-OLED TV to buy right now. I refuse to buy another LG after terrible customer service I have experienced with them now over some faulty appliances that were within warranty and now this issue with my OLED TV. So Nano-cell is out. And I don’t think I could stomach the stress of owning another OLED after this.

I am hoping to spend a bit less than what I spent last time on the B7 OLED, especially since I would feel the need to purchase a significant extended warranty with an OLED after my last experience.

I am interested in a Samsung QLED 2020 TV since they offer HDMI 2.1, and I super lucked out and managed a preorder of a PS5. I have my eye on the Q80T as it seems like a good compromise on picture quality, the HDMI 2.1 and price vs the Q90T. Any other suggestions I should consider, and does anyone feel passionately that the Q90t is the better choice? The big downside I see with Samsung is the lack of Dolby Vision, but that is what it is. I’ve also heard the Samsung up scaling leaves someh to be desired, But I really can’t seem to find a better alternative to OLED other than QLED that us available where I am.

I live in Canada where the TCL 8 series is not available, so Mini-LED isn’t an option. And Visio is also not available. Does anyone have other suggestions other than QLED TV’s? Is there anything I am missing that I should consider as a second best option to OLED?

Thanks for your help,

Last edited:

Dodgexander

If you want HDMI VRR together with good HDR your only option really is the Q90T. The Q80T is a cut down model, worse local dimming and worse peak brightness. It is really the min you want to aim for rather than recommended where HDR is concerned.

If you forgo HDMI VRR that opens up your options a lot more. Sony have the X950H (X90H isn't good enough for HDR) and Hisense also have the H9G, TCL the R625 which all make the mark with HDR.

LGs LCD TVs are poor anyway, no love lost not considering them.

Btw, you may already know but QLED isn't a display technology like OLED. Its a marketing term Samsung use to describe there higher end LCD TVs with there quantum dot tech. Quantum dot is just a filter between the panel and the backlight of an LCD TV, so they aren't 'QLED TVs' like an OLED is an OLED, per se.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom