Life after Modern Warfare? What's next?

Guns_LotsOfGuns

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Its fairly obvious that the Call of Duty franchise is on the way to being the new Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk, with Activision killing Infinity Ward, setting up the business unit, churning out the titles and eyeing up subscription models.

So the same way i jumped ship after Guitar Hero 3 to Rock Band im thinking the same thing is going to happen at some point with Modern Warfare, once ive hit 10th presitge (or maybe before at this point) ill have had my fill and i might have to put the COD franchise to bed before franchise fatigue truly kicks in.

Which begs the question what takes its place?

Watched a Medal Of Honor E3 trailer thats looking very Call Of Duty like with a sprinkling of Battlefield.

Could Halo: Reach bring me home, its where my love of shooters truly took off, wasnt so taken with the beta but all the single player stuff at E3 looked awesome.

Ghost Recon: Future Solider looks like its got a very action slant on it will the multi be better than the broken predecessor?

Spec Ops: The Line - Call of Duty with beards?

I know alot of people jumped ship to Battlefield earlier in the year, and im sure everyone will suggest that but ive tried it and just cant get on with it, im hoping something later this year will be the next big shooter.

And before anyone suggests it not Black Ops :facepalm: Past the singleplayer it looks like more of the same, it feels like time for a change.

Am i the only thinking of leaving MW behind for greener pastures? If you feel like i do where do you reckon you'll end up? Whats the new No1 shooter for live?

Last edited:
Although a lot of people are feeling the fatigue with COD itself, I still think it has a lot of legs left in it for some. I don't think the many unbalances in MW2 have helped itself (doesn't bother me too much TBH) and the lack of enthusiasm from the developers to fix these.

I only got into COD with COD4:MW (I was a MOH fan previously) with that being only three games ago, it's still gonna be a long while for me until I hang up my guns.

I find it hard to play other FPS' after playing COD so much, it's the feel of the game that does it for me. Until anyone else can emulate that, or I do truly get sick of it, then I don't think I'll be jumping ship anytime soon. COD will be my main FPS but I'm always willing to try others.

MOH looks too much like Battlefield (which I don't like) from what I've seen, but I'm looking forward to impressions from the beta (or even getting into it) from COD fans. When it was announed I was convinced I'd be jumping ship, now I'm not so sure.

Spec Ops and Ghost Recon I'm quite interested in.

I don't think we've seen enough multiplayer from Black Ops (if any AFAIK) to write it off just yet. For me, it's going to be Black Ops and if that doesn't click (W@W didn't do much for me) I'll just play MW2 casually for another year until IW make MW3 :suicide: ;)

I enjoyed Far Cry 2 and there are many more shooters coming like Bulletstorm, Crysis 2 etc that could make me switch. :thumbsup:

Edit*

How can I forget GOW3 - I'll be playing a shed load of that when it comes out :)

Last edited:
Its fairly obvious that the Call of Duty franchise is on the way to being the new Guitar Hero or Tony Hawk, with Activision killing Infinity Ward, setting up the business unit, churning out the titles and eyeing up subscription models.

So the same way i jumped ship after Guitar Hero 3 to Rack Band im thinking the same thing is going to happen at some point with Modern Warfare, once ive hit 10th presitge (or maybe before at this point) ill have had my fill and i might have to put the COD franchise to bed before franchise fatigue truly kicks in.

Which begs the question what takes its place?

Watched a Medal Of Honor E3 trailer thats looking very Call Of Duty like with a sprinkling of Battlefield.

Could Halo: Reach bring me home, its where my love of shooters truly took off, wasnt so taken with the beta but all the single player stuff at E3 looked awesome.

Ghost Recon: Future Solider looks like its got a very action slant on it will the multi be better than the broken predecessor?

Spec Ops: The Line - Call of Duty with beards?

I know alot of people jumped ship to Battlefield earlier in the year, and im sure everyone will suggest that but ive tried it and just cant get on with it, im hoping something later this year will be the next big shooter.

And before anyone suggests it not Black Ops :facepalm: Past the singleplayer it looks like more of the same, it feels like time for a change.

Am i the only thinking of leaving MW behind for greener pastures? If you feel like i do where do you reckon you'll end up? Whats the new No1 shooter for live?

i posted something something along the lines of this in another thread, asking what were people going to play for the next few months, but you bring up a good question of even longer term. MOH was where i got into online gaming, with Allied assualt(that's a while ago, on the pc too). so interested in this one, but it getting poor initial feedback

Black ops might work, I'm one of the few that thinks WAW was the best of the CODs so treyarch might pull the same trick twice.

given the support COD has though, any new game will always suffer to drag people away. i wonder will we ever see the same numbers getting a new game again

Last edited:
I find it hard to play other FPS' after playing COD so much, it's the feel of the game that does it for me. Until anyone else can emulate that, or I do truly get sick of it, then I don't think I'll be jumping ship anytime soon. COD will be my main FPS but I'm always willing to try others.

Agreed i also find it hard playing anything which isnt as rock solid in the fell of how it plays, its this fact which has kept me hooked so long, i feel like im getting to the point though if someone one bought out a comparable experience with out all the Activision evil villian act then it would be a very tempting proposition.

If someone comes out with a game that plays as well as COD theres a large fan base to steal from!

Call of Duty is by far the most social game I play and that's what keeps me going back. Everyone has it and knows how to play, you can get 9 on a team and 18 if you go into a private game and I have at least 15 people on my list playing it every night - if it wasn't for this I would have given up a long time ago.

MOH seems like it will be a mess, SP built on Unreal and MP built on frostbite :thumbsdow anyone can see this is a recipe for disaster. Speaking of which if someone wants to supplant COD then they're going to build their own engine because no other engine is anywhere near as smooth and fast as the COD engine.

I'm hoping Reach, and still MoH, will really contest COD.

However, the one game i'd like to see is a proper counter strike remake, or at least a good enough version made for the 360. I played that game for years on the pc and it was just brilliant.

Though no doubts the majority of people will continue with the COD franchise and go with Black Ops and whatever else they throw at us in the future.

Not even Halo fans appear to be excited over Reach.

The Autumn holds some awesome single player releases but nothing obvious by way of that online experience. I know you haven't found your imagination captured by Treyarch CODs in the past Guns, does this mean you won't bother with Black Ops ?
Personally I have found myself drawn to PC gaming for the jump in GFX quality but I'm still yet to find anything truly unique for an online experience. The Star Wars MMO looks interesting but has been delayed again and I'm defo not going to be looting in WoW anytime soon.
Next big online mulitplayer releases for me are Black Ops and Killzone 3. The latter being the one I am most excited for.

For me gaming seems to be stuck in a bit of a rut. For something to play with your mates that's real fun, there isn't much about. I mean I loved MW2 for the social side. I had some great laughs on it, but that is all. COD4 and WAW played much better and will do forever. If I had to go back to one in the future, MW2 would be bottom of my list.

GOW3 will be the next game I play like COD. If it had have been released sooner, MW2 would not have been played by as many, i'm convinced of that. If they can sort out the problems that GOW2 had with the hosting etc, it'll be phenomenal. :smashin:

Apart from that i'm not sure. :confused: I'm not as excited about Halo as I should be, footy and golf games are becoming a bit of a bore, and the general market is full of rubbish. I went into gamestation the other day, and nothing took my fancy at all. I'd really like to see more Alan Wake/Heavy Rain style games, as these are my favourite type of games, and love the film-esque approach they take. However there doesn't seem to be many good ones about (if anyone knows of any please recommed some :smashin:).

Mafia 2 is probably the next game I will buy. I saw the trailers for it and it looked brilliant. as bad a game as The Godfather was, I still loved it and am yet to try Godfather Part 2 (altho I probably won't bother now cos I don't have the time :rolleyes:).

I know you haven't found your imagination captured by Treyarch CODs in the past Guns, does this mean you won't bother with Black Ops ?

Ironically this would be the first Treyarch game i might be inclined to actually buy!, since its not in the WW2 theatre for a start and everything we have seen so far looks alright, unless they unneccesarily mess with Multi then its looking pretty good.

I get the feeling though that by the time thats out, there will be at least 2 COD games the following year, Map packs will run like water for the new 1200pts price and ill essentially be playing the same MW multiplayer.

Dunno maybe ill get caught up in the hype or maybe ill sit this one out like i did WAW.

Ideally i like Respawn to magically arrive with a new title to singe our faces off but they are a while off!

I'm sure that Activision will eventually somehow flood the market with COD games or get us to pay some form of subscriptions. At the moment this hasn't yet happened and maybe won't this year. For me when this does happen while the COD games retain a level of quality I will still play them as they are the kind of game I love to play.

All the other games mentioned hold some interest to me as well and I will likely play them all SP as well as giving them a blast MP, although i doubt they will hold my attention like the COD games (but almost hope they do).

The variety of games coming up will give enough of a break away from COD so that it feels fresher when I jump onto MW2 occasionally & when Black Ops comes out.

Although with MW2 I am not playing it as much as COD4 or WaW i still play it more than any other shooter i own and can see this pattern continuing in the nearer future with COD being the norm and all the other games being the occasional distractions.

I'm not yet ready to give up on COD and reckon i can get another couple of years out of it before others start to come to the fore.

Bad company 2 totally revitalised online fps' for me.

Far more squad orientated if you want to succeed, I too reached my limit of COD at the turn of the year and until recently had given FPS' over live a rest.

In terms of future titles, MOH looks like the one to watch for me. It encapsulates the best features of Bad company, MOH and COD and wraps them up in one nice package - so I think that'll be the next FPS I purchase.

Will deffo be giving black ops a swerve.

Ideally i like Respawn to magically arrive with a new title to singe our faces off but they are a while off!

Yep. Oct/Nov 2012 I reckon. And surely the smart money would be on getting some sort of MMO out before Activision do.

Yep. Oct/Nov 2012 I reckon. And surely the smart money would be on getting some sort of MMO out before Activision do.
I’m really hoping that they will be at TGS in September, even if it’s just to say ‘hello, we’re still here and this is the type of game we’re going to be making...’ - cue mass frenzy or confused looks.

I think Black Ops could reignite the interest in CoD because it’s nearly set in the modern day (which was why I went back to CoD4 from WaW a few years back). Obviously it’s very early days for Black Ops at the moment and we’ll have a better idea as the game gets closer to launch to see the enthusiasm for it – both before and after launch.

With any game, the weeks after the launch are the key to the longevity of interest from the community. Despite all its problems, MW2 has endured and is still massively popular round here. Like Rich said, the social side of gaming also helps keep people keen on a title because if most people on your friends list are playing it, then chances are so will you.

I still love BC2 for its squad based game play (I just wish you could join a game with more than one squad to make things easier for getting everyone on the same side, but I digress) and MoH is looking quite cool as best of both worlds. Yes, there have been issues in BC2 with the dedicated servers that EA use, and this would be the only potential niggle I have with MoH – maybe this time it will be smooth as silk? (I will be playing the beta when it’s released).

It’s a tricky outlook; I think what most people want is the addictive game play of MW2, with people playing it properly (not camping for kills) in the long-term and without all the problems.

One thing I’ve noticed since joining AVForums is that if the community here gets behind a title, it will outlast anything else that comes and goes.

Crazy ramble over, time for lunch.

Do you mean that Respawn will get a MMO out before Activision? I would have thought 2012 would be too late for that we've been hearing Activision rumours for a while now so i reckon we might see something next year for them, maybe with/instead of next years main COD release. I can't imagine Respawn would be able to come up with a winning game & online so quickly.

Would have thought the best competitor for that would be EA with something like "Battlefield Online".

Soz, I meant 2011. the world would have ended by 2012 anyways.

As for the MMO I think thats the real prize now. People subbing say 5quid a month to play a huge online game where you have proper clan support and you are spend a month or more at at time playing as one Faction. For example you are always Spetznaz or Marines and all gamescores are collective over a month or whatever. Faction with overall highest monthly points gets a massive XP boost for all members or certain perks for all members for a month or something. I am just guessing stuff on the fly but the MMO thing is the next obvious place to grow the genre. As much as the Respawn guys want to put out a great game this is still business. BIG Business.

Completely agree I reckon FPSMMOs will be the future will depend partly on who is first and what the game is.

I still think the only real players will be EA (Battlefield) or Activision. Would love to see the Respawn game in there but i don't think they will have enough time to make a great game and make in MMO in the year they would have.

There's no way respawn could make a fps mmo in 2 years, just isn't enough time for a game as large and complicated as a mmo. The first MMOFPS on console will probably be Dust 514 from the people who make Eve online for the PC. Unless EA or Activision have been working on one for a few years already that we don't know about, but i seriously doubt they could create a MMOFPS in 2 years from scratch, or at least one with enough content to even consider paying subs for

In the last 3-4 weeks i've started playing MW 2 again after abandoning it for a few months. The main reason for my return was because after all this time my friends were still playing it. I even went as far as buying both of the new map packs seeing as everyone else has them as well. I really regret it now though because i'm not really enjoying it and I know everyone will jump onto the Black Ops love train soon enough.

The market has been over-saturated with generic fps titles for too long now and i'm tired of it. I've had my fill and will be giving this genre a break for the forseeable future.. unless the next Half Life game comes out but of course that'll be single player only. :p

The next online shooter I buy will be GoW 3. I adored the first game, however, I didn't enjoy nor play the sequel that much so i'll be ready for the third when it comes around. Let's just hope the online side of things isn't a shambles this time around.

No you're not the only one thinking of chucking MW. I'm still playing MW2 but (and I know this is a bit of a contradiction) since the Resurgence maps came out I just feel bored with it. I run around not really bothered or paying attention and end up getting whupped, which just makes me turn it off and stick on PGR4 or Forza.

Gonna give BF:BC2 a go now it's cheap as I used to love it on the PC and I can't recall there ever being any real problems with camping, glitching, boosting etc. Also looking forward to Halo:Reach.

I will still buy Black Ops but mainly for the single player (I love COD games on SP) although fingers crossed the MP is good too.

I have been like this for around 12 months now COD isnt my bag to be honest to many spawn campers for my liking and the ability to rank up is a bore it doesnt reward your for being skilfull it rewards you for the hours you put in.

Halos rank up is a better more balanced ranking system i only play fifa online now and a few games of street fighter the rest is single player only, Gears2 broke M/P for me :devil:

Im hoping that gears 3 will revitalise my online gaming experience but im not holding out much luck,BFBC2 didnt click with me at all MW2 i enjoyed thouroughly bought the first map pack but again just full of campers makes it no fun im a run and gun type of player its why i fell in love with gears1 so much

Killzone 3 :rolleyes: if this was on the 360 it would be a world beater and may make me update my ps3:rolleyes:

Well I've jumped ship to BC2 this very week. I had been losing interest in MW2 for a while and not really enjoying the game anymore. Was thinking of buying Black Ops but now I'm going to take a gamble and switch to MoH. Am thoroughly impressed with BC and the focus on real team work.

Last edited:
Well I’ve jumped ship to BC2 this very week. I had been losing interest in MW2 for a while and not really enjoying the game anymore. Was thinking of buying Black Ops but now I’m going to take a gamble and switch to MoH. Am thoroughly impressed with BC and the focus on real team work.

Weirdly enough, I jumped into BF this week too. Although the squad structure is as good as it always was back in the PC days, I'm really struggling to get on with it. Seems to be snipers everywhere and the guns feel really limp and inaccurate compared to COD.

I think Black Ops will be the last Call of Duty game for me.

Went off mw2 months ago, before the new maps. I bought the first map pack but havent played them. Ive been on BF:BC2 for a few weeks now and enjoying it. I loved the 1st one, there are no glitchers and the dedicated servers are better than a single host. Im looking forward to GOW3, however the issues when the 2nd game out stopped me playing it.

I'm still utterly addicted to it, but mw2 during the school holidays has been full of prepubescent boosting little tykes who are off school, now with the English schools out now too I think it's gonna be unplayable.

I just picked up Mass Effect 2 really cheap so I think I'll eventually finish off the first one then get onto that.

It's disgusting the amount of games I have, and the ones I've never even played yet!! :(

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom