1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life After HL2

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Stellavision, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I finished Half Life 2 last night and brought what feels like an epic journey to an end. I got totally immersed in the action, the plot, the sound and of course the graphics.
    A bit of a funny ending I thought, but not that it spoiled the overall experience.
    Having completed Halo 2 prior to starting HL2 I feel I have played arguably the best XBox game and best pc game ever released, which now leaves me thinking where do I go now? I came home from work this afternoon and flicked through my games with total lack of enthusiasm.
    Has anyone else felt like this?
    I have not really been following recent and upcomoing game releases, so if anyone can point me in the direction of some excellent pc and/or xbox that will stimulate my wetted appetite for a little while?
    I only played doom 3 on demo, which ran reasonably OK on my machine without slowing, but I am kind of thinking this may be one of the conversions which may work better on the Xbox. I suppose that's another debate again.
    I have not played Deus Ex yet, could this be a possible contender? I've heard good reports. Or maybe Chronicles of Riddick?

2. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,876
    On the PC I would highly recommend Football Manager 2005, Rome Total War, Vampire the Masquerade : Bloodlines and LOTR : The Battle for Middle Earth.

On the Xbox there are a few very good games around. Burnout 3, Prince of Persia, Top Spin, etc.

It depends really on whether you are just looking to play FPS's?

If you are happy to pay monthly subs, the MMOFPS Planetside is well worth looking at.

3. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    After HL-2 and countless hours in Counter Strike I decided to go back to Battlefield 1942 for a bit.
    It's a good laugh while I wait for more decent mods to be made for HL-2

4. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Try Halo2 on Legendary .... I gave up after 3 days stuck about 5 mins into the first level and I've already completed Halo2 on heroic and Halo on legendary...scary.

Try Far Cry on the PC . I like this a lot even if its not quite as polished as HL2. Its very similar in feel to the original HL. Weaponry and maps are quite funky and its got a decent physics engine , quite tongue in cheek compared with the likes of HL2 and Doom3.You can get it very cheap these days , someone on the classifiieds had it going for about 5quid. I like the online multiplayer too. An Xbox version is due out in a couple of months I think with 2 player co-op and Live mulitplayer. It will benefit from Voice communication. You can tackle the various hazards with differing approaches/ weapons ...more than one way to beat the bad guys type of thing. (strangely enough I found it quite hard going the first time I played through but a lot for counterstriking against real meat seems to have generally improved my FPS skills and I'm now doing a lot more damage with less powerful/more accurate weapons)

Doom3 is probably worth playing once for the eye and ear candy and the somewhat interesting storyline. Game itself is a bit lacklustre , more like a ghost train ride than anything else. I doubt I'll go back to it.

Chronicles of Riddick is excellent on the Xbox. I sold my modded Xbox along with my game saves after finishing about 2/3 of the game so I'll need to restart it from scratch. Got quite a large rpg adventure element to it as well as bang bang.

5. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Looks like its time to get yourself a Gamecube & Resident Evil 4, I'm not too sure if this game is better or not than Half-Life 2, maybe thats because they are completely different games though.

6. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I'd agree with CrispyXUK on RE4, but if you haven't played Deus Ex, then you really owe it to yourself to do so - a stonking game, with an excellent plot, and a very good FPS/RPG hybrid. Graphics obviously look a bit dated now, but for £10 or less, you really can't go wrong.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    I replayed Deus Ex (the first one) recently and enjoyed it as much as the first time, I have just completed Half Life and did not think it was a patch on it.

The 2 No One Lives Forever are good first person shooters.

8. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Only problem with Deus Ex is it takes sooooo so long to play.
    Oh sure you finish each level quickyl once you know them, but if like me you have to pick up every spare weapon and bit of ammo, get as much xp points etc etc, then it takes a long time.
    One of my all time favorite games though. Loved seeing how far I could make it without killing anyone (just giving them a lasting headache).
    Same is true with Theif except I wasn't too keen on the supernatural side to the game.

On a side note, I really hope they make a fps game where you play as a warewolf.
    Normal vision as a human, but you "see" smells as a wolf.
    If anyone has ever played Discworld Noir, you'll know what I'm talking about.

9. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Thanks guys.
    I've got Deus Ex and Far Cry on my short list now. :thumbsup:

10. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Try mech commander, the first one (will probably cost about £5). Amazing game and the gfx haven't aged that much. It is a strategy game, but there is no resource collecting or anything, just action throughout. Good story and can be a bit of a challange.

I know a lot of my friends that were die heart fps and nothing else and they loved this.

11. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Far cry I would recommened I have palyed that all the way through. Dues ex is still my fav game. Completed the PC and PS2 version :smashin: didnt like the second one. Funny u mentioned mech commander I have just started playing that and mechwarrior 3. i am reliving all my old games some I have played recently are: Morrowind, and total annilation. want to play baldurs gate 2 again also.

12. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    If your into online games i can recomend City of Heroes , out 4th Feb but running on a beta trial just now.
    Nothing , not even HL2 has seen me put as many hours into a game as this has over the last few weeks.
    It is a MMORPG game and as such will have a monthly sub , currently running at £8.99 and Play.com have a decent price on the deluxe edition just now. I'm certainly going to go for a few months subscription and by that time Battlefield 2 will be out and that will be my 1st quarter 2005 gameing needs satisfied.

13. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    The battlefield series took 2 years of my life. Is online game. waiting for the new one this spring.

14. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,938
    I do know what you mean Stellavision - I felt pretty similar after completing HL2. I got it a day after release and was glued to it until I finished it about a week later. It was so good that I stopped playing Halo 2 at the time and have recently gone back to working through that playing on Heroic.

There's nothing that I really play on the PC at the moment but i'm playing quite a bit of PES4 and PGR2 on the X-Box at the moment. I'm also looking forward to Forza Motorsport on the X-Box & RE4 on the GC. I'm also tempted to import GT4 for those lush 1080i graphics on my PJ.

I've played RomeTW on the PC and that's great, as is FM2005. You could also try a MMORPG such as EQ2, World of Warcraft or the up and coming Dark & Light if you are after something to become truely immersed in. :thumbsup:

15. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Knights of the Old Republic captivated me for a while . Don't be put off by the recidivistic saddo Star Wars tag ...this game makes Stars Wars cool again . If they had use this as episode 1 we wouldn't be living in tis 21st century ..we hate Star Wars world.

We'd all have then " may the force be with you" badges back on .

KOTOR2 is out soon and is getting good reviews in the states too.

16. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Is Halo any good on the PC?

17. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Compared to the xbox version i much prefered the pc one down mainly to the control option of keyboard/mouse. I personally just can't get to grips with FPS games on consoles with a joypad. Graphics wise it's not overly demanding and looks pretty similar to xbox version but a bit sharper on the monitor.
    Tried the online mode briefly but didn't enjoy it too much.

18. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, a mouse keyboard combo is so much better.
    Only game where I wanted a joypad was when I started playing GTA Vice City on PC and climbed in a motorbike or helicopter.
    Still, for the running around shooting, the mouse was a must.
    The next gen consoles will probably have an optional mouse for games.

Might get Halo then, just to see what my mates with xboxes keep going on about.

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    I would not really class Thief as a FPS actually it is the last thing you want to do is go in with arrows blazing.

As to the supernatural side of it that just adds to the atmosphere. I know when the latest game came out The Deadly Shadow folk were saying The Cradle was the most frightening level, but I still say The Haunted Cathedral form Thief: The Dark Project beats it.
    Mmmm just thought them spiders in Thief reminds me if the head crabs in Half Life.

20. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Still think Halo plays much better on the Xbox with a pad.

21. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Has anyone played privateer 2 the darkening? I used to spend days on that game. it is a DOS game so not many people played it.

22. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +582
    was happily playing HL2 for weeks, unforunately I have started playing PRO EVO4 online and now I havent touched HL2 for weeks. I hope to finish it one day!

23. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Have a go at Eve Online, still playing it a lot after over a year, and it keeps getting better and better. Can be downloaded from their website, and from what i recall you can get 30 days free play.

24. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    Just got Eve Exodus on a cover disc and thats 14 days free.

25. Mr.The.Spoon

Mr.The.Spoon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Touched a nerve did I? :D
    Unfortunatly FPS is now the term for any game where you control one person with a range of weapons when you can't see the person you're controlling.

26. t-force

t-force

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Yes, absolute stonker of a game. Trying to get it to play on a PC of today is an absolute sod though, as it just runs far too fast.

27. Laurel&Hardy

Laurel&Hardy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Life after Half Hife 2 was simple for me. It was uninstalled and I was thoroughly unimpressed with it. I then played Doom 3 again and realised what was missing from Half Life 2 - FEEL.

28. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
    T-force there is a utility to slow the game down for the windows version. sadly I have the original DOS version impossible to play on windows xp.

29. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,344
    No opened a crack in the door and I went and opend it. :laugh:
    What did nark me was in PC Gamer, Thief Deadly Shadows was class classed as the number 1 FPS game being the Modern Great, with Doom 3 as the Alternative, Half Life then took the No1 spot as Modern Great and Doom was still the alternative. :nono: :mad:

By the way Solder of Fortune is not a bad FPS.

30. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Hi,

I would second the No one Lives Forever series. The second one is exceptional, in my opinion just as good as HL2. Another goodie with baggs of action is Chronicles of Riddick.

Don't touch Vampire Bloodlines with a barge pole. The Source engine is really poor in this game and it is riddled with bugs.

Russell