1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Life after HD-45

Discussion in 'TVs' started by philip41, Mar 21, 2005.

1. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys i am not having a dig at the Sagem, maybe i just got a duff one. But today i took delivery of a Sammy SP46 DLP, and boy oh boy I am so Pleeeeased with it .
    We have only watched the Soaps on Sky so far, but the PQ is IMO way way better than the Sagem, everything is so clear, i have not seen anything bad at all, and yes i have tried to find fault.
    I only wish this was the set i bought in the first place.
    Over the weekend i may even connect my pc up to it and try some of the HD clips.

Thats all for now.

2. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    My HD-D45 is being collected tomorrow, I'll then be without a TV (not very good with the Easter break coming up!). I'd be interested to hear about the HD clips on the PC, presume it's still a 1280x720 display? Haven't really seen much about the 46" Sammy to be honest, I was thinking of getting the new 42" Viera perhaps this Sammy is a viable alternative... By the way did you see any rainbows at all on the Sagem and if so do you see less on the Sammy at all?

Cheers,
    Andy.

3. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Andy, good news on your set being collected, i'd be gutted to be without it for Easter, still doubt there will be much on as usual.

I believe it is, the specs on Sammy site says "Display format = 720P", It will be a right pain connecting the pc up to it at the moment as they are 2 rooms apart so i will have to move the PC to the set temporarily.

There are a few threads on here try this one for starters, i saw the Viera in JL in Watford on Saturday, have to say i was tempted myself, until i saw the Sammy at Currys.

Yeh i did see rainbows on the Sagem, i also see them on the Sammy, but i reckon some people are more susceptible than others as no one else in my family can see them, i found that i am getting used to them and hardly notice them, unless i try.

Watched Alien Vs Predator last night, and it was way better than when i saw it on the Sagem, also on the Sagem i could not use Interlace mode on DVD to get rid of the Green tint, i tried it last night on the Sammy and found that i could.

Cheers Phil

4. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Regarding rainbows, you should note that the Sam 46 uses a 7 segment colour wheel which should theoritically reduce the rainbow effect further. I said theoritically because I have never seen these rainbows on any set therefore I am just quoting others.

5. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Does the sammy 50 use the 7 segment wheel aswell ?

6. JZEE

JZEE
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As far as I know it does not but other more knowledgeable people on that model will let you know - could be that the newer models are now coming out with 7 segment wheels as well. Note that the SP50 uses a lot of different stuff such as lenses and the DMD itself amongst others.

Now I am referrring to the 'Kirk' SP50 model in this case however there is another SP50 model (its a tabletop model just like the SP46) that is identical to the SP46 (except for the size). I don't know if this model is available in the UK market though.

7. nigel_williams

nigel_williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm still waiting for a Sagem engineer to call me, but I will probably end up sending it back to JL next week. Just got my Dell PC to be made into a HTPC too :(

Time to look for an alternative, Pioneer 435 or wait for Viera HD I suppose.

8. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,069
    Yeah Viera HD or Sammy 46" for me... but I'm not rushing into this one! I've ordered a Panny TX32PD50 from unbeatable (package offer with the free dvd player for £600!) to tide me over until I decide what to get. Luckily it seems the Panny tv is being delivered today , it was showing as awaiting stock when I ordered it at the weekend and even when I rang on Monday to check how long they expected it to be they said 10 to 14 working days! Could have been without a TV for quite a while but luckily I checked the order status last night and it said it had been despatched! Just hope it's not got any of the infamous Panny CRT problems!

Cheers,
    Andy.

9. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    phillip41, what problems did you have with your Sagem? I got mine last Saturday and I have to say, I can't quite understand how so many people are complaining about the picture quality. I use a Pace Twin Digital box and Pioneer DV868avi dvd player and IMO the quality is very good. Try watching Finding Nemo for example. I do have a couple of problems with the set however - there is a high pitched whistle coming from the power supply board and I can't use the DVI input but am running component prog scan. I think a lot of the problems people mention with dlp sets are due to the fact that they are using Sky boxes which have an appaling quality picture (a friend of mine runs one on his plasma and to me it is unwatchable.) How much is the Samsung as I have looked at it on line and cant get a price. (If Sagem cant fix my whistle & DVI , I may consider the Samsung)

AVnut70.

10. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Have you not noticed the frosty appearance of the screen yet, noticeable particularly in large bright scenes such as sky etc. This is what's putting most people including myself off. PQ can be quite good using Sky, I watched the Rugby via a Sky+ box in John Lewis and the picture was excellent apart from the aforementioned frostiness.

BTW, the SP46 is currently 1799.99 from Currys incl stand.

11. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have noticed the 'frostiness' but it doesnt bother me too much, as you say it is a lot more apparent with bright scenes. have you seen how good the set is driven from a prog. scan component output? I've seen 2 plasmas this morning at local hifi dealers (was auditioning the Denon 3910 dvd player), both running HDMI and neither were even close to the HD-D45.

Cheers for the info re. the SP46, Im off to currys to have a look as saw it on the net and looks a little bulky.

12. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It was mainly the frosty screen, the PQ with Sky was bad, so bad i was going to replace my aging Amstrad box, but i doubt i will bother now, as the PQ on the Sammy is awesome, which leads me to believe that the Sagem i had must have been faulty.
    I went and picked mine up from Currys, it was the demo model, they had only had it for a week or two, there is not a single mark on it plus i got it for £1699, i was not prepared to be without a tv for the 2 to 6 weeks delivery time.

13. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    And next week phil will be getting the new Kenwood Chef !! as he will get bord with the new 46" sammy and will want something else to mix up the TV hunt in !!!!! :rotfl: ONLY JOKING MATE !!!

14. Apollo11

Apollo11

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    At that price I can see why you snapped it up, I still haven't managed to nip in to Currys yet but will do so this weekend. Perhaps my local store will do a similar price for their demo model :)

Richard.

15. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to be worth a try.

16. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jeez you crack me up mate, Oh i wont be at work tomorrow as i am going to spend the day watching DVD's. :D

But i will go to pub for a :beer: or two

17. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    I would like to do that but have to wait for my new &**&&%%&&*** at discounted price to turn up !!!! :D

18. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mate i bet you are Bursting to say :thumbsup:

19. Bacus

Bacus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Totally mate....but will keep stum for now, then unleash what other members said would not happen...... :hiya: