lie it down or stand it up?

SanPedro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The console that is.

Is it better off on its side or standing up? My son reckons they will overheat if left on its side - he has a mate who it happened to.

Anybody else any views either way? The box itself is on a shelf in a wooden AV rack with 3 enclosed sides and not much ventilation, except out the front of the stand.

I'd liek to keep it on its side as it fits in neatly with everything else. I'd though of perhaps but some small runners under the case to lift it slightly and getting air circulating underneath it. Or is that unnecessary?

mines in the vertical position, i dont think it would affect the quality of air flow as the console sits slighty off the shelf, it sits on as it got small rubber feet.

I suppose it woill be more suseptable (sp) to heat if stood up right as at the end of the day heat rises so it will rise up through the console & have a smaller narrower area to disipitate the heat. (If it really gets that hot)

it wouldn't affect which way its stood, but being enclosed on 3 sides is very bad! that will burn out the electricals fast! if possible drill holes in the sides, or not have it in a shelf.

Matt

I suppose it woill be more suseptable (sp) to heat if stood up right as at the end of the day heat rises so it will rise up through the console & have a smaller narrower area to disipitate the heat. (If it really gets that hot)

Not true it has air vents on the bottom that draw air in when stood on it's side.

mine gets very hot when laying down, but when I stand it up the damn thing runs slower for some reason.

I have seen people place shot glasses underneath the box to lift it slightly off the ground to help with air flow.

mines horizontal, i dont see the point in having it the other way surely it like the ps3 is made to be horizontal?
thats why the wii is made to stand vertical.
i just think the 360 and ps3 look silly on their sides but imo of course.

mines horizontal, the dvd drive seemed noisier in vertical and if i'm honest, crashed more often too:rolleyes:

The console that is.

Is it better off on its side or standing up? My son reckons they will overheat if left on its side - he has a mate who it happened to.

Mine has been horizontal since launch day and it is still going strong so that is alot of rubbish :rolleyes:

horizontal all day every day, don't it scratch the discs standing up? or is that an old wives tale?

Well the slightest movement can cause it to scratch discs so I guess being stood vertically it is more prone to scratch them so not an old wives tale.

The thing is designed to work either way so its a question of personal preference. I've had it both ways and it works just the same.

I had mine flat for the first 12 months of it's life. Fine. I've had it vertical for the last 5 months. Fine, though the ring of light for player 1 flicks between top left and top right.

No problem either way, so long as it's stable.

The console that is.

Anybody else any views either way? The box itself is on a shelf in a wooden AV rack with 3 enclosed sides and not much ventilation, except out the front of the stand.

I'd liek to keep it on its side as it fits in neatly with everything else. I'd though of perhaps but some small runners under the case to lift it slightly and getting air circulating underneath it. Or is that unnecessary?

It will be fine where it is mate .... :smashin:

mine was vertical until i made it fall over. flat ever since....

My first 360 was stood up - I had it for 2 months and it starting chewing up my discs, so because of that and a new tv stand, I've now got my new one horizontal - makes it easier to insert discs in my opinion if nothing else.

mine was stood up,but since i have had it down flat it seems to run alot quieter.

thanks for all the replies guys.

I think I'll stand it on a couple of runners as I suggested - as the underneath seems to get really hot, and drill a few holes into the back of the AV stand to get some air circulation through.

I can't believe just how hot this thing runs, no wonder they are so noisy - they need an industrial strength fan to stop them overheating :eek:

i remember that we originally had it on top of the Sky digibox and the thing kept shutting down for no apparent reason - presumably due to the extra heat from the digi box.

thanks for all the replies guys.

I think I'll stand it on a couple of runners as I suggested - as the underneath seems to get really hot, and drill a few holes into the back of the AV stand to get some air circulation through.

I can't believe just how hot this thing runs, no wonder they are so noisy - they need an industrial strength fan to stop them overheating :eek:

i remember that we originally had it on top of the Sky digibox and the thing kept shutting down for no apparent reason - presumably due to the extra heat from the digi box.

My 1st ran very hot in an encolsed space like you say yours is... The replacement I stand vertically next to the TV and even after a couple of hours it's no warmer than when 1st switched on. I would try standing it up or at least moving it out of the encolsed space for comparison see if it makes a difference.

It'll cost you nothing to try and could save some heart ache!:rolleyes:

I had mine laying horizontal in a large AV cabinet with glass doors. I used to play it with the door closed to dampen the sound but after an hour of playing I opened the door and it was like a furnace. So then I started playing with the door open but was still quite noisy :mad: All was good until it froze a couple of times while playing R6V, bear in mind I've only had it since Feb.

As I have quite a large AV cabinet (Benno from Ikea) the top surface area is large so I've now got the 360 standing vertically behind my right hi fi speaker which is to the side and further back from my tv (28" crt). Now after playing for 3/4 hours its still really cool, can't feel any warmth at all which is good. Only thing is, its now a tad noisier!!!!!!!!!!!!! :suicide:

I guess Microsoft go on the philosophy "you can have a cool console but it will be noisy or a quiet one and it will overheat".

mine was stood up,but since i have had it down flat it seems to run alot quieter.

I can back this comment up, my 360 is much louder standing up than when lying down, however, mine has been Horizontal since i got it (At Launch) and a Friend has had his Vertical since he got it (same day) and neither of us have had any problems

I've had mine since November and have no choice but to have it standing on its side. I've had no problems other then the occassional crash which i put down to it simply being Microsoft (meow! :D). I'd like it flat but have no space to do so.

Plus i love the way it towers over my teeny Wii-ny :D

My friend had his on its side and it started to scratch his disks a month or 2 after he got it - he now has a brand new replacement from MS.

To be honest i think its pretty random like all the issues with the 360. There's no guarantee that anything is going to be better or worse for it, other then obviously mistreating it of course.

Like i say mine crashes maybe once a week if that but other then that its all good (also scrambles for the quickest piece of wood!). It is loud and does run hot but half that noise is the scary power pack which, frankly, i'm too scared to put behind my tv! I need it where i can see it.

When I took back my 1st xbox to Game (three red lights) the guy asked me which way I keep it, horizontal or vertical ?

When I said vertical he said - "Ah thats why - all the ones we have had in recently with three red lights are because they have been kept vertical, you should be keeping it horizontal"

Hmm - Obveously from the Dixons school of education.

I think people try and make a connection with why 360's die, is it because it was on it's side, is it because it's in a closed cabinet etc etc. To be honest there have been people who have had their 360 die who have had their 360 horiznotal and vertical, I don't think it makes one bit of difference. I prefer to have it lying flat as I hate having to put a disc in when the 360 is vertical :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom