lie it down or stand it up?

I think people try and make a connection with why 360's die, is it because it was on it's side, is it because it's in a closed cabinet etc etc. To be honest there have been people who have had their 360 die who have had their 360 horiznotal and vertical, I don't think it makes one bit of difference. I prefer to have it lying flat as I hate having to put a disc in when the 360 is vertical :D
yeh must admit,with my first 360,i did have a couple of "oh,fu....boink!" moments,as the disc hits the carpet with the 360 vertical.
and it used to run so hot,now horizontal no problems at all.

horizontal is the best way. i work at a games shop and the amount of people who come in with scratche disks is amazing and thats because they move the 360 while its running, however it has been known for 360s to damage disks while verticle. So yeh horizontal is a more stable position.

I recently bought a second 360 with that excellent Gamestation deal for my holiday home abroad. It had a manufacture date of October last year.

My original 360 I've had since January 2006 but with a manufacture date of December 2005, and I've always had that in the horizontal position. Aside from slightly noisy fans it was never that noisy and has worked perfectly for the slightly more than 1 year that I have had it. This has always been in the horizontal position.

My second 360 I started using straight away in the vertical position because the AV stand was much smaller and space was an issue. All seemed fine when I fired it up, in fact this one was whisper quiet at idle and had very quiet fans. That all changed when I fired up a 360 game, the disc drive noise was so loud I could not believe it, it almost sounded like the discs weren't quite seated properly and thus were vibrating in motion, not healthy! Anyway I was fairly miffed at having an incredibly loud 360, but then had a flash of inspiration and decided to try it horizontal. Problem solved, suddenly the drive made no noticeable noise at all and all was fine.

This of course made me immediately think back to the AV Forums and all the threads on noisy consoles, I wonder how many of the people complaining were suffering merely as a result of trying to use the console vertically? After all, trying it the other way round isn't an obvious thing to do when we are told it works in both positions.

Anyway, my recommendation based on my experience is to leave it in the horizontal position, there is less noise and less chance of scratching. It may be, however, that one make of drive may be less reliable than the other. My first console being a Samsung and the second a Hitachi.

I had mine flat at first. However, due to a new TV unit, I have to run it vertical. Result? Strange noises from the DVD drive, scratched disks, dead HD and frequent red lights. :mad:

This of course made me immediately think back to the AV Forums and all the threads on noisy consoles, I wonder how many of the people complaining were suffering merely as a result of trying to use the console vertically? After all, trying it the other way round isn't an obvious thing to do when we are told it works in both positions.

Mine is as noisy horizontal as vertical... and it's my second one the 1st was the same. I think I may have killed my 1st by keeping it horizontal encolsed (because of the noise) in my AV unit. I've had both drives and they have been pretty much the same, guess you've just been lucky.:(

I'm a new 360 owner and have had the box vertical but I'm going to
try propping the unit up (horizontally) with ten 1p pieces stuck together
at each corner (pennies stuck to each other, not the box) with an air purifier/ioniser pointed at it,
acting as a small fan, with the airflow going underneath the unit because of the forty pennies. :D

I lay mine flat i do not trust it standing up right as iv heard of horror stories of scratched discs etc. I dont bother with any extra ventilation but i do give the whole thing a clean now and again as all the ventilation slots get bunged up with dust.

I'm a new 360 owner and have had the box vertical but I'm going to
try propping the unit up (horizontally) with ten 1p pieces stuck together
at each corner (pennies stuck to each other, not the box) with an air purifier/ioniser pointed at it,
acting as a small fan, with the airflow going underneath the unit because of the forty pennies. :D

I've had the thing running horizontally for a few minutes now in the manner
I've described and anecdotally, not scientifically of course, it does seem a little quieter.

I may well switch it back to vertical later and then horizontal to make sure
my observation is correct.

I have PGR3 in the disc drive b.t.w.......

I know it sounds obvious, but whatever you do, don't move it in any way whilst it's running. Too many people have said they just wanted to move it an inch and have ended up with a ruined disc.

I have mine standing up. It sits on my AV stand and it seems quite content there. At least that's what it says through it's blog :D

Smaz.

Mine has been vertical since i first got it in December 2005 and i've had no problems.

xbox360 downstairs is vertical and launch day console and fine, xbox360 upstairs is vertical and brought in June and fine, wii is vertical and so is my Ps3, vertical is fine, laying consoles flat is so 1980 :rotfl:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom