Licorice Pizza Movie Review & Comments

SteveAWOL

Distinguished Member
I watched this up my local Odeon last night and also thoroughly enjoyed this wonderful nostalgia trip.

Seems the hordes of local youths in foyer were more interested in Scream reboot than some P.T. Anderson and it was nice to sit amongst an appreciative audience laughing along with the delightful comedic moments.

Kingchin

Saw the trailer a few weeks ago, looks like a movie I would enjoy. Maybe catch it at the cinema and if not on disc later in the year.

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Enjoyed this one. Gonna check it out again over the weekend. See if it irons out a few of the issues I had.
The Japanese restaurant manager is something I'm having real trouble getting over.
I get that it's played to laugh at the guy and not his impression but it felt totally unnecessary and fell so, so flat.

Where other parts of the movie are genuinely funny it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. It just needed to give his wife (wives) some agency and not use them as props for a joke and maybe it wouldn't have bothered me as much.

One of the most misjudged aspects of the movie and I can't really get my head around its inclusion.

barnaby jones

Distinguished Member
The Japanese restaurant manager is something I'm having real trouble getting over.
I get that it's played to laugh at the guy and not his impression but it felt totally unnecessary and fell so, so flat.

Where other parts of the movie are genuinely funny it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. It just needed to give his wife (wives) some agency and not use them as props for a joke and maybe it wouldn't have bothered me as much.

One of the most misjudged aspects of the movie and I can't really get my head around its inclusion.
I’m going to be honest, I didn’t have an issue with it. It’s his stupidity you laugh at. At one point the first wife gives him such a priceless look, I laughed out loud. I agree that it wouldn’t have really lost much from snipping it though.

richp007

Distinguished Member
Seems the hordes of local youths in foyer were more interested in Scream reboot than some P.T. Anderson and it was nice to sit amongst an appreciative audience laughing along with the delightful comedic moments.

You mean you wandered into the Scream viewing with them? :D

SunnyIntervals

I really enjoyed this, a beautiful slice of 70s America, with great casting. Alan Haim was excellent, loved the interaction with her family.

Watched in my local Cinema City, first time I've been there in an age, I must go more often.

Fillumgeek

I really enjoyed this, a beautiful slice of 70s America, with great casting. Alan Haim was excellent, loved the interaction with her family.

Watched in my local Cinema City, first time I've been there in an age, I must go more often.
I thought Alan Haim was great as well, and especially playing a female character. Well played Alan.

*Sorry couldn't resist.

Loved this film, flows like the best PTA films, powered by music, long tracking shots and brilliant, naturalistic acting.

rbj

Loved the film, it was a real easy watch. Reminded me of "Dazed and Confused". Really enjoyed the characters and quite a few funny moments throughout. Liked the way it was filmed.

QuestShield

Distinguished Member
Kinda enjoyed this one once it got going, nicely maintained 70's Californian summer-of-love atmosphere. But didn't find it THAT brilliant, wouldn't be champing at the bit to watch it again in a hurry. Maybe having the magic name Paul Thomas Anderson at the helm makes it seem even better than it is.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom