License to create apps?

l!3ard

Established Member
Reaction score
hello all,

i am currently in the process of deciding on a project for my final year UG degree. One of my ideas is to create an app for the iPhone.

I know that i need a Mac as the xCode SDK is not compatiable on PCs :mad:

However, someone mentioned to me about needing a license to develop the apps?

Is this true? And if so how much is it? Also how can i apply for the license?

Any help appreciated :thumbsup:

thank you...damn apple and their extra charges :mad:

oh well maybe android could be a possibility

I would suggest Android for a final year project as its probably easier than an iPhone app anyway, distributing to your project supervisor will be a pain.
You will likely see the Android market catapult into success in Q1 of 2010 as well, with the likes of Motorola, Sony etc launching on the other big American carrier Verizon

I certainly would not gamble on android. iPhone is established - concentrate on that.

you can just use the iphone emulator

you only need to pay if you wish to deploy to a physical iphone

they may have a educational developer program to get for free...?

Android is not a gamble. Plus it is Java.

It's certainly not established.

We're talking about somebody approaching their last year of a degree. The sensible choice would be to develop an iPhone app.

It's certainly not established.

We're talking about somebody approaching their last year of a degree. The sensible choice would be to develop an iPhone app.

Java is more wideley used than Objective C and open platform based therefore never a waste a time. Android devices are increasing and not just phones.

Good chance he knows Java from his course. Smaller barrier to entry.

Both would be good. Just would not dismiss Android on opinion it is not established.

EDIT: Motorola DROID sold 100,000 on its opening weekend !

Last edited:
Simple reason I recommended Android for a university student, is they are likely to have been taught Java, almost certainly they will not have learnt ObjC or Cocoa (otherwise they would have had a mac already), so its an awful lot to learn in 8-10 weeks, expense (mac + iPhone dev program if you want to demo on a phone) and produce a project!

Gamelofts reports actually point out the far wider issue that 87% of their profits come from platforms other than the iPhone for all its hype, irrespective of how they feel about Android

As a cross platform developer it is certainly true at the moment that iPhone is where the easy money is at the moment, however larger sums can be had for slightly more effort on other more widely adopted platforms.

As with all things in mobile though, it will be a passing trend 3 years ago everyone had a Motorola Razr

2010: The Year Android Will Shake Its Money Maker

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom