Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Licence

Discussion in 'Hybrid, PHEV & EV Electric Cars Forum' started by LV426, Apr 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    I bit the bullet a couple of weeks ago and replaced my 1989 paper (only) licence with a photocard. And (as you do) I carefully checked off the vehicle codes I can drive to see that my old entitlement was properly carried forward. The codes have all changed, a lot, in the intervening period but I am briefly bemused by this:

I can drive a car with manual transmission and therefore the same thing with automatic transmission.

We all know that, for all practical purposes, driving a modern EV is virtually the same as an automatic.

But then I see that I have "Electrically Propelled Vehicle" as an entitlement. I'm pretty sure this relates back to the days of milk-floats and the like with a huge heavy array of lead-acid batteries.

Just bemused, though.........which entitlement is it that permits me to drive my Ioniq? Either or both?

2. PRESSTOG

PRESSTOG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +393
    EVs fall under the same category as Liquid Fuel Propelled Automatic Transmission Vehicles. Seems to have been combined into the B Cat in 1997

DVLA Replied to someone on the same point

Thank you for your e-mail enquiring about driving electric vehicles. DVLA is replying to you as routine business and not via the terms of The Freedom of Information Act 2000.

Prior to I January 1997, category B (car)licences also granted automatically, category L. Category L covered electrically propelled vehicles, such as milk floats, with the following exceptions; motor bicycle, moped, invalid carriage and mowing machine or pedestrian controlled vehicle.

Since 1 January 1997 in order to drive vehicles that previously fell into category L, the driver would be required to hold a full category B or B1 licence depending on the weight of the vehicle. Category B is a motor vehicle having a maximum authorised mass not exceeding 3500kg and category B1 a three or four wheeled light vehicles with an unladen weight of no more than 550kg.

Yours sincerely,

David A Morgan
    Freedom of Information Team
    Data Sharing & Protection Group | Strategy, Policy and Communications Group | D16 | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL
    Twitter: @dvlagovuk

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,823
    Interesting, but I wonder whether the 1997 changes were retrospective to those who passed their test prior to that date. Not that it matters a jot in my (or most others') cases as I (and most others) have both anyway. Just a curiosity.