• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Library and Ripping Questions

Dave

Distinguished Member
Hi all, I've recently noticed the superb convenience of having all my movies etc in iTunes and being able to play them through the ATV3, ipad etc.

So much so that I'm toying with ripping all my BR's and DVD's and sticking them in iTunes.

So a few questions if I may, firstly I have a MBP with a 500gb HD so obviously don't want the iTunes library on there as it will be mahoosive. So, is it possible to have it on an external HD attached to the time capsule and still have it back up to the TC etc?

Secondly, what do I need for ripping it all so I get decent SQ and PQ?

I know it'll be a bit of a mammoth task but once it's done it'll be massively convenient.

So anyone have any answers to my myriad of questions?

MC77

That's exactly what I've done. Except I don't have a time capsule, however I will ramble on for a bit and hopefully it'll help you.

Have a Mac Mini at home with a 128gb ssd and two external 3GB Hard drives solely for media, I have just pointed iTunes at the base directory of one of the drives and it works as it should, the second is used as my time capsule which backs everything up as you'd expect.

Ripping wise, I have a blu ray drive so I can rip both formats, and use Makemkv to rip into MKV's (Normally queue as many up as I can on my small startup disk) then use iVi from the App Store to convert them all, all on the highest settings and you get a decent picture and sound, certainly good enough for me anyway with decent file sizes. IVi also uses meta tagging when you drop the MKV file in it and then exports the files with tags into iTunes so you don't need to do anything other than delete the MKV file once you're done.
I think the way I do it is as simple as it gets really, MKV takes about 15 minutes or half hour for a blu ray, then the conversion takes around an hour to 3 hours depending on the size of it, but like I say if you queue them up and do it overnight there's normally not a problem.

Hope that helps :)

Dave

Distinguished Member
Sounds like a doodle and a lot easier than I expected. I've ordered a BR drive off ebay but am struggling to find ivi on the app store. Do you by any chance have a link?

MC77

Just had a quick Google and it looks like it's not on the UK app store at least for reasons unbeknownst to me, but you can download it directly from their website: South Pole Software

Edit: That is the Pro version which is 7 quid I believe, the version on the App store was only 3 quid or thereabouts I believe, however, you can download a free trial on the site to try out, not sure what extras you get with the Pro over the normal one, but I wouldn't hesitate in paying 7 quid for the regular version to be honest.
Give the trial a go and see what you think.

MakeMKV - Make MKV from Blu-ray and DVD for MakeMKV, currently freeware but again, I'd pay a decent amount of money for it when necessary, converts both DVD's and Blu ray's into MKV no problem.

Good luck!

Dave

Distinguished Member
I've started ripping all my BR's and DVD's which while slow is working a treat.

However, I'm now ripping the sopranos and makemkv is ripping the disc as one MKV with the first 3 episodes. Will ivi split the episodes when I convert it?

MC77

Yeah if you use the drop down menu in most TV shows you can split them up. Just remember to number them as MakeMKV splits them up because it can be a right ball ache trying to sort them out if you're unsure.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Cheers for that, just trying to get my head round the whole subtitle issue now.

Inglorious Basterds seems to have worked fine without any fettling but I'm unsure if this stroke of luck will continue.

MC77

It's quite difficult to mess up with this method in all fairness, that's why I recommended it, if an idiot like me can manage it then anyone can!

Happy ripping.

joelk2

Distinguished Member
another alternative to ivi is iflicks.

i cant remember the reasons but i preferred it, it was dearer than ivi though.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Banging my head against the wall with settings here.

It takes so long to do an encode I simply don't have the time to mess with all the settings to get it how I want. :mad:

I thought I'd cracked it with the pass thru setting which has drastically speeded up the video process but the audio has took around 4 hours and now the file is 25gb, the bloody MKV is only 27.

What settings do people use with ivi and do they use the HD audio off the BR or just the standard 5.1 when ripping with makemkv?

I've been messing for 4 days and have just 2 movies done, I'll still be going at Christmas.

Dave

Distinguished Member
Depends on your playback kit, but I steer clear of HD Audio for ATV use as wont support it anyway.

4 hours for Audio is silly!

Honestly this is one of the most frustrating things I've ever attempted.

I'm now messing around with subtitles.

Inglorious Basterds seems to have worked just fine but I don't know how I did it I've messed with the settings so much. There appears to be no subtitle track according to itunes but sure enough the subs are there and I don't recall it taking 70 million hours to encode it either due to the stupid subs. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I had ripped around 10 BR's to MKV but have binned the lot and started all over again today after spending yet another day messing, waiting, messing, waiting.

Never again, I'll just bend over and buy the bloody movie from itunes next time. :(

Dave

Distinguished Member
As an example I left it last night to do a few sopranos episodes.

1 episode took just over an hour yet another took over 7 hours because of subtitles. I don't know how or why the difference in time, I can only assume I changed something in makemkv or ivi.

To compound this the bloody programme deleted them after finishing and they never imported in to itunes so I lost the completed files anyway.

It just takes far too long to muck about via trial and error. I don't want to waste another day only to find the settings are wrong and have to start again.

We can send people to outer space but stick a movie on a hard drive to watch via an Apple TV is clearly a step too far. :suicide:

(Rant mode is firmly on by the way).

Dave

Distinguished Member
It appears I'm either extremely lucky or Inglorious Basterds has hard subs burned in any way. Just ripped District 9 with makemkv and cocked up both the audio and subs somehow.

I've tested it with VLC and I seem to have ripped the audio descriptive track and 7 hard sub tracks. Through trial and error I've found the correct subtitle track and will now rip it again with the correct audio track too.

I see that ivi will automatically add a stereo track for you.

Looks like I'm just going to have to accept that this is going to take a very very long time, not bother or reduce the mac to a pile of pretty aluminium scrap.

Certainly food for thought given how difficult this process is and the likelihood of physical media being phased out.

MC77

Ah, with the settings I have everything set to highest possible and don't bother with subtitles. :0)

Stick with it though, once you get through the initial teething process and know what to do every time it makes it a bit easier.

Dave

Distinguished Member
I use makemkv to rip the Blu Ray to an MKV then use ivi to transcode to m4v.

To be honest I've got my head around the settings and adding subs etc now but it's still a long slow and frustrating process. It takes around 6 to 8 hours to do one blu ray so if you have a large collection you can see the problem straight away.

It's worth it once it's done but there is always a curve ball to throw you off, the BBC blu rays for example appear to have a different codec that doesn't work so I've given up.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom