• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Lian Li Muse Case

E

eucalyptus9000

Does anybody have any experience of this case?

It looks to fit my requirements of a stylish case that (just) fits in the TV stand shelving gap.

I can't find much about this but does it take a normal size PSU.

Are there any similar height alternatives?

surfermc

Established Member
Does anybody have any experience of this case?

It looks to fit my requirements of a stylish case that (just) fits in the TV stand shelving gap.

I can't find much about this but does it take a normal size PSU.

Are there any similar height alternatives?

There are 2 versions of the case available Lian Li PC-36 which includes a 300W power supply and the PC-37 which is supplied without a PSU.

I have no personal experience of the case, but 300W should be sufficient for a HTPC.

This review should be helpful.

Last edited:

Holwill

Established Member
watchout it only takes half height PCI cards.
It will take 1 full size card with the supplied riser and the horizontal backplate, also supplied with it.

Holwill

Established Member
As said above it will take 2 but only if your Grfx cards cooling solution does not protude over the other slot to much.

E

eucalyptus9000

I have a C36 that comes with a power supply.
See my build thread here.

If you use the riser you can fit two full size cards.

That power supply is tiny - to the 'normal' size ones fit in here or is that actually a different size there?

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
The PC-36 comes bundled with a 300W TFX form-factor PSU and can handle either low-profile cards connected directly to your uATX motherboard, or can take a riser that allows one PCI full-height and one PCI-e full-height card to be mounted (I think) - as long as they aren't too thick. Some users have installed different (3rd party?) risers to allow two full-height PCI cards to be mounted.

The PC-37 doesn't come with a bundled PSU but takes a standard ATX form-factor PSU - but as a result doesn't have space for the full-height PCI cards and riser combo, so can only accept low-profile cards plugged directly into the motherboard AIUI.

I looked at them both when building my second HTPC - as well as similar models from SilverstoneTek that also used risers for full-height cards - but was uncomfortable with the risers (I have a full-height DVB-S2 card), and also a bit concerned about cooling in a low-profile case. I also wanted a case that wasn't as deep if possible.

I ended up with a SilverstoneTek Grandia GD02 - which is a bit taller than the Lian-Lis - but not as deep. It was a bit of a pig to install the LG-GGCH20L optical drive (though this still took less than 20 mins of fiddling to get right - top tip - mount it one screw hole back in the cradle and use the supplied sticky pads on the fascia eject-button extender to widen the surface area they press against to get them to hit the eject button on the drive that otherwise doesn't quite line-up) This still limits your CPU cooler choice - as the optical drive is mounted above the motherboard - but it allows an ATX PSU and 4 full-height cards to be installed. It also matches our Onkyo SR606 Silver amp - in both colour (well close) and width - so they look good on our HiFi shelf one above the other. I am also pleased that the USB and Firewire connections on the front panel - though less so the reset button - are behind a nicely damped fold down flap - when shut this means the case only has a stealthed - central - optical drive and hidden Power button/LED and HD LED)

Last edited:

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
What are you actually building? If just a HTPC for upto Blu-Ray even a 200watt power is enough. The picture of the Lian-Li case shown in the build is a ATX power supply.

Can you expand on your requirements of this PC.

E

eucalyptus9000

I wantto build a pc for my lounge which wil double up as a good DVD player with the option of converting to bluray. Decent sound output from CD's / win media and quick internet access + webcam/skype. Not expecting to do much gaming but poss photo and video editing.

Wanting a stylish and quiet pc of less than 105mm high.

The main priority is to get a PSU that will fit into my current Silverstone SUGO to cover for a blown Hiper Type R but this PSU will then go into the new HTPC so I am juggling a few things here. I don't really want to buy the PSU twice, but if the HTPC my chosen HTPC case takes a different size psu then the whole thing takes on a different direction and I may just get the colours IT unit as a 'spare'.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom