1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Li On PDI card (?)

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ilkand, Jul 9, 2003.

1. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Anybody else get a pdi capture card from Li On? Got mine this morning, and not all that impressed really. Must be doing something wrong. What does everybody else think? Got any Dscaler tips to make it better, especially re: noise.

Thanks
    Andy

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    Really noise? I'd have thought thats the least of the problems with an all digital pipeline. You sure its not your video and overlay settings for Dscaler? Have you calibrated yet?

3. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yes, it could be that the calibration is wrong, I am not very good at such things. Am using suggested settings from Li On.
    Perhaps noise is not the right word, On large areas in long distant shots, such as in Lord of the Rings when they leave Rivendell and head off into the mountains, there are moving pixels on certain areas so that the whole of it seems to shimmer and move a bit (mosquito noise?). I get this on software players but was hoping to reduce it with this set up.
    The picture is definitely better, but not yet that much better. Law of diminishing returns perhaps.

4. MikeTV

MikeTV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +844
    If you are using Dscaler check out the auto-calibration feature - it really is a breeze, and the results are excellent. You need to get hold of a DVD with the right test patterns - colour bars and grey scale. But it may not make much difference for noise.

5. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ikland,

I take it you have set:-

Judder Terminator on
    Auto Film/Video detect
    Chroma Filter on (probably)

Shouldn't need any noise filters.

Dscaler should auto detect which film method it requires eg 3:2 pulldown flip on odd (or even) if its Pal based or one of the 2:2 ones if its NTSC.

Is this anything like your using?

6. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I havent used the precise set up, but from what i have experienced, noise tends to be resultant from something external....

ad

7. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    MikeTV, thanks for the auto-calibration tip. Used it with a thx optimode pattern and it worked superbly. Brilliant software that Dscaler.

JohnS, yes have those switched on thanks, although Judder Terminator kills my machine. Often have to force a film type pulldown though as Dscaler seems to switch to Mocomp2 a lot. Not sure why.
    Picture has actually become really good now, I think, except for the noise.

Buns, take your point about it being external. Had a lot of trouble with my old PSU and Dscaler. Made lines across the screen from interference, but now have an expensive quiet PSU which seemed to solve that problem. What else could be the source?

Thanks for all the help,
    Andy

8. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ikland,

It will go to tomsmocomp2 when it detects a peice of video, a lot of film menus are video so that could be part of it.

The "noise" you mention could weel be artifacts from poor video deinterlacing, try something like greedy high motion which is not so processor intensive.

I've always found the video/film detection to work quite well.

9. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    JohnS, will try this tonight and double-check everything, thanks. Actually, after playing a bit more I am now very happy with the improvements made. They are not light and dark differences as perhaps I was expecting, but then Theatertek etc are very good anyway, so was probably expecting too much. Definitely worth an experiment IMO.

Thanks
    Andrew

P.S reduced the sharpness filter I was using (suggested by Li On) and this improved it - any suggestions for what is too much sharpness?)

10. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I must admit I was interested to see how you got on as I was close to having a go at this myself. I wasn't expecting much improvement but hoping for a little more stability.

Theatretek is good at certain things, some of the usability features and the PQ but I have always found it a glitchy program which often seems to "almost" hang on starting or reboot after starting for no apparant reason, I suspect it may be something to do with region killer and or the interactual players etc. Its not the end of the world but I'd like to improve on it. The xcard solution seems to be a good possibility. The only thing I'd like to be able to do is feed the audio via a high end sound card in the future.

I'm off on holiday tonight for a week :cool: but will probably order the bits to have a go at this when I get back.

11. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I dont think you really need the sharpness filter at all.

12. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,149
    I advise you not to use the sharpness filter with pdi ( I tend not to use it for anything myself).

Agree with John. I found theatertek a little bit twitchy at first and it took me a while and a few reinstall attempts to get it nice and stable but I point blank refuse to upgrade beyond 1.2(.8 I think) as its now nice and reliable.

I'm not so fussed about going the pdi route with Dscaler although I'm in absolutely no doubt that Dscaler video deinterlacing wipes the floor with what TT is capable off. I'd love some sort of PDI solution for digital TV to remove the noise I get on digital TV.

I suspect that the sdi route or in future the ability to use dscaler filters with a nebula card or similar will be my next upgrade.

13. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Ok, I will get rid of the Sharpness.
    JohnS, if you are getting a high-end sound card, the x-card only seems to output through its spdif, not through Directsound, so don't eg get a revo (no spdif in - mine is on ebay as we speak). I am still using Regionkiller. Might (as a one off be prepared to lend the card out if you want to test before buying).
    Mr D, keep an eye on the PMS site where the pdi card comes from. They seem to be able to knock anything up, with very little lead time. Most impressive. They have a very cheap SDI input card.

14. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Been considering sources of noise.
    Have:
    FSP350 PSU (hope its not this, just cost me £50)
    Cheap case (no insulation or anything)
    Radeon 9500 (with fan )
    5 Pci cards - xcard, pdi card, tv card, modem card, sound card (at the moment the pdi card is nearest the AGP slot)
    2 fans (+fanmates) + cpu fan run from pick-ups on the motherboard rather than from the powersupply directly
    ABIT BE7 motherboard
    Cheapo six way connector block
    Normal power cables

Any of these a likely source?

Thanks
    Andrew

15. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Ikland, Thanks for the offer of the boorow of your souncard, I'll give you a shout if you've still got it when I come back from Hols.

With regard to video noise the biggest culprit is normally cheap psu's, I had an enermax which was good and so is the seisonic ss300 that I have now and much quieter as well being a single fan design.

As far as which cards in which slots, some MB's have a prefence to where a certain type of cards sits but its often a bit of trial and error. I have my with the TV-100 as far from the agp as possible but no real preference other than that. Try moving the PDi to the furthest slot and removing as manyu as the others as possible for the moment and see if it changes anything.

16. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'd give it 5 weeks until someone find or creates an S/PDIF pass-thru app with delay.

I've run the Xcard through the S/PDIF input on my m-audio 2496 and set S/PDIF output to be assigned to S/PDIF in in the mixer. The sound then passed-thru the audiophile 2496 from the Xcard.

The issue was, I had to set the m-audio clock to be external (i.e. from the S/PDIF in from the Xcard) as it would not lock to the signal otherwise.

I did not notice any delay to the sound nor any difference in quality.

cheers,
    Rob

17. ilkand

ilkand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    JohnS, sorry I meant the PDI card. Thought you might want to try before you buy. My sound card is not exactly hi-end stuff.

Rob, by pass-thru do you mean a physical connection to the soundcard or by directsound, cos the Revo has no spdif in. I read on the sigma forums that no directsound output is possible with the xcard because of its hardware implementation.

Cheers
    andy

18. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    Rob uses the M-Audio 2496 which does have S/PDIF in afaik.

I'm really interested in this PDI route now, i got the sonic mpeg2 codecs just to see if they'd actually make any difference on my setup (i didn't think they would) and the difference was night and day over windvd 4 platinum. TO put a dampener on my quest for PQ however, trust me to get a MB with only 3 PCI slots in it, now i'll probably have to change, unless someone (Hopefully that Atman character on AVS) can bring out a clean Composite and S-Video capture card, also with PDI input.

Hopefully more members will try this route and be able to give us some feedback on it.

19. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John S

Count me in if you decide to take ilkand up on the offer of the PDI card.

I nearly bought the combo on PMS, but just want to "SEE" it first.

Rgds

20. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any news on the sound feed through?

Did anyone read about Li On (i think it was him) has pdi modded a panasonic ra71...... he certainly seems keen on the results!

Ad