LG's PG7000 plasma claims infinite contrast

fico99

Novice Member
Hi guys,

I just have read this article on engadget and wondered if someone knows more about this upcoming model?

LG's PG7000 plasma claims infinite contrast, too
http://www.engadgethd.com/2008/05/14/lgs-pg7000-plasma-claims-infinite-contrast-too/

And here you were thinking Pioneer would stand alone forever as the only outfit with an "infinite contrast" plasma in its arsenal. Not so, as LG has reportedly developed its own technology in order to produce a PDP with "absolute blackness," and if all goes to plan, we could see it surface by the end of July. Aside from that, we don't know much more about the PG7000 just yet, and while we're told the first model will indeed be 1080p, lower-resolution flavors are slated to follow. Get ready folks -- the battle for blackerness is about to get even darker.

Jimb077

Novice Member
I am currently in the process of designing my own plasma television at the moment and I think I have achieved a black level which is blacker than black itself......I call it SUPERDUPERNOIRLEVELZEROtm! Nobody will ever better it.....well so my marketing man tells me anyway!:devil:

Brooktop

LOL!!!! Well done Jimbo! You've articulated what I've been thinking myself. I thought black was black too!

fico99

Novice Member
So, you guys think that this new PG7000 model isn't any better than the current Panny's, Sammy's or LG's then?

In other words, we are not going to see something spectacular?

Jimb077

Novice Member
So, you guys think that this new PG7000 model isn't any better than the current Panny's, Sammy's or LG's then?

I can see the reviews now......'Excellent black levels but not quite as good as Panasonics 2008 Plasma range or Pioneers Kuros'!!:smashin:

vipergrm

We won't know this until the set is released, but if it's anything like the PG6000 then the claims are probably greatly exaggerated. Although the PG6000 black levels are good, they are nowhere near the quoted 30,000:1 contrast ratio, nor are they any where near as good as the Kuro or the 2008 Panasonic models. ;)

sampo

Novice Member
Well if LG does what it promises, it's the holy grail of PDP. Elimination of priming means that blacks are always black when needed.

Mod note: This is not a picture of an LG screen. Read on for more details.

vipergrm

Well if LG does what it promises, it's the holy grail of PDP. Elimination of priming means that blacks are always black when needed.

There is no way on earth does the 8G Pioneers look like that. Perhaps a few tweaks by LG on the upwards notch of the brightness on the Pioneer? ;)

fico99

Novice Member

Sampo, where did you get that picture from?

Hillie

Novice Member
We won't know this until the set is released, but if it's anything like the PG6000 then the claims are probably greatly exaggerated. Although the PG6000 black levels are good, they are nowhere near the quoted 30,000:1 contrast ratio, nor are they any where near as good as the Kuro or the 2008 Panasonic models. ;)

Contrast after calibration is usually not in the specified ranges. The same holds for the precious Kuros and Vieras.

If they indeed claim "infinite" contrast ratio, it can mean two things: The blacks are absolute zero light darkness, 0cd/m2. Or the whites are brighter than the sun, infinitely bright. Unless LG developed a whopping new technology, neither one will happen. ;)

sampo

Novice Member
Unless LG developed a whopping new technology, neither one will happen.
It's not new tech. Pioneer already demonstrated infinite contrast PDP at CES 2008. If I can find the Pioneer "extreme contrast" patent using google, then maybe LG can find it too. :rolleyes:

enator

Link plz

Kamakazie

There is no way on earth does the 8G Pioneers look like that. Perhaps a few tweaks by LG on the upwards notch of the brightness on the Pioneer? ;)
Ermm that is how cameras work. If the camera was metering the light then anything lighter than the black of the LG will look brighter than in reality so it is perfectly possible assuming the LG is really that good with black levels. It is marketing though so it is quite possible they botched the results by raising the brightness.

As for the 6000 series, last i heard the black levels are certainly comparable to the Panasonics if not a little better.

I am really interested in the 7000 series as i would like 1080P. The only thing putting me off a Plasma at the moment is the ridiculous power consumption levels. Sadly, looking at the 6000 series i don't think the 7000 will be any good either. Only the PX series comes close to most LCD's but then that is not 1080P :(

enator

Sampo is working really hard :thumbsup: :D
I love you man I love you :D

Hillie

Novice Member
Behold................SUPERDUPERNOIRLEVELZEROtm!! :devil:

I was talking technology, not the same stuff in a different marketing wrapper. ;)

It's not new tech. Pioneer already demonstrated infinite contrast PDP at CES 2008. If I can find the Pioneer "extreme contrast" patent using google, then maybe LG can find it too. :rolleyes:

"Extreme" and "infinite" aren't the same thing. If LG/Pioneer has technology that makes black pixels not emit any light at all (i.e. 0cd/m2) then "infinite" is reachable (as infinite brightness isn't). A very high contrast ratio, or close-to-off blacks aren't the same.

But that's academic mumbojumbo, if it's "close enough" to 0cd/m2, you're pretty much done.

sampo

Novice Member
"Extreme" and "infinite" aren't the same thing. If LG/Pioneer has technology that makes black pixels not emit any light at all (i.e. 0cd/m2) then "infinite" is reachable (as infinite brightness isn't). A very high contrast ratio, or close-to-off blacks aren't the same.

But that's academic mumbojumbo, if it's "close enough" to 0cd/m2, you're pretty much done.

:hiya:

vipergrm

Ermm that is how cameras work. If the camera was metering the light then anything lighter than the black of the LG will look brighter than in reality so it is perfectly possible assuming the LG is really that good with black levels. It is marketing though so it is quite possible they botched the results by raising the brightness.

As for the 6000 series, last i heard the black levels are certainly comparable to the Panasonics if not a little better.

I am really interested in the 7000 series as i would like 1080P. The only thing putting me off a Plasma at the moment is the ridiculous power consumption levels. Sadly, looking at the 6000 series i don't think the 7000 will be any good either. Only the PX series comes close to most LCD's but then that is not 1080P :(
I'm sure you're correct but just look at how bright that Kuro is compared to the LG. It is extremely exaggerated.

I am the current owner of a 50PG6000 and while the blacks are very good, they are not nearly as good as the Kuro, nor the 2008 Panasonics. Perhaps a bit of calibration might improve things slightly but for now, they are, at best, in third position in the current plasma blacks world.
:smashin:

pinguino

Novice Member
Infinit contrast is nice but a good picture is more than just a perfect black. Shadow detail, color reproduction, motion control, scaling etc... ar also important factors.

For instance:
is 0% grey, 0.5% grey, 1% grey etc. actually shown as such or is it 0% 5%, 5,5% etc...

enator

Where is this mars man :rotfl:

andrewfee

Novice Member
LOL!!!! Well done Jimbo! You've articulated what I've been thinking myself. I thought black was black too!
The problem is that when you tell a flat panel to display black, it can't. That's why there's so much discussion over ‘black levels.’ The better the black level is, the closer it is to black, but right now everything still looks grey. (yes, even the Kuros)

There are plenty of other areas that manufacturers still have to work on other than just black levels, but it's a step in the right direction at least.