LG's 2014/15 OLED line-up revealed....

Desk

And it looks really good. I'll have a 65" 4K flat OLED panel, please. :)

LG's 2014 TV line-up - full overview - FlatpanelsHD

Desk

Last edited:

Desk

Oh, and the following site appears to be offering the 65" 4K set for pre-order at 9999 Euros, which translates to £8241.

This is down from a RRP of 10,999 Euros and isn't as bad as I'd feared as a starting point, especially when you consider how much the existing 1080p set has fallen by in the past six months...

LG 65EC970 V curved Ultra HD OLED-tv kopen - 9999,-

Desk

mtenga

Distinguished Member
Certainly the 65 inch 4k is cheaper than I was expecting. Hopefully it will show the same propensity for price drops as it's little brother 55 inch 1080p model.

I'll certainly be waiting now until it's affordable (5 grand or less) and forgetting 4k LCD and the 1080p oled for my next TV.

noidea

So am I reading it right that the 65" OLED's are only available curved?

A.I.

So am I reading it right that the 65" OLED's are only available curved?

It certainly looks that way for 65".

LG EA880 (OLED) 55"
EA880 is a 2013 model and LG’s only flat model.

noidea

I find it all a bit strange to be honest. The thinness of OLED screens is spectacular and at trade shows and in showrooms where you can walk round the tv it is almost mind blowing. But in real houses it's very rare that someone would position a tv where you walk round it and so the way to make the thinness a stunning feature would be to wall mount it. You can't do that with curly tv's LG!

Desk

Sadly, Rasmus over at FlatPanelsHD who reported this 2014/15 product list says, 'None of the LG executives we talked with mentioned any plans to release flat 4K OLED TVs in the near future.'

I'm wondering if we'll see flat 4Ks beginning to appear this time next year? I hope.

Desk

Last edited:

vaktmestern

Banned
I hope the prices is correct, been back n forth on getting the 980 now or still wait for 4k oled.

hati

£6999 for the flat gallery 1080p. Not bad, give it a few months

Sounds little expensive when it's not going to be a new model and you can order today one from Sweden with 60000sek (6600€ or 5500£) and status 'in stock'.
LG 55EA880W - Hitta bästa pris, recensioner och produktinformation på PriceRunner Sverige

And in Finland a (most likely) grey imported 880V is advertised with price tag of 4340€ (about 3600£) but since stock shows zero there is no guarantee when or if one arrives if you order one.

A.I.

I'm just not 100% convinced that I will be able to see/appreciate any reasonable difference between 1080p and 4K on a 55" OLED display.

I do reckon there will be a fair amount of 4K material this time next year but as I don't want anything larger than 55" :eek::eek::eek:, what's the point of waiting for the 4K price to drop - waiting - waiting - waiting - bored waiting!

It's still going to be 1080p for me - I'm just 'waiting' on UK users reliability reports and a price (just) under £3,000 :)

vaktmestern

Banned
I'm just not 100% convinced that I will be able to see/appreciate any reasonable difference between 1080p and 4K on a 55" OLED display.

I do reckon there will be a fair amount of 4K material this time next year but as I don't want anything larger than 55" :eek::eek::eek:, what's the point of waiting for the 4K price to drop - waiting - waiting - waiting - bored waiting!

It's still going to be 1080p for me - I'm just 'waiting' on UK users reliability reports and a price (just) under £3,000 :)

Just to go n take a look at a 4k 55" led set n se (i do se the diffrence) .. I think 4k looks un natutal n over sharp in background details, like people far away is as sharp looking as standin up close. But 4k will become the new standard even if im not to impressed.

A.I.

Just to go n take a look at a 4k 55" led set n se (i do se the diffrence) .. I think 4k looks un natutal n over sharp in background details, like people far away is as sharp looking as standin up close. But 4k will become the new standard even if im not to impressed.

I would expect the LED to look better in 4K - I'm just not sure I will see the difference in OLED.

I can also see the difference on the 55" Sony 4K LED but I would rather have a 1080p OLED every day of the week than a 4K LED.

vaktmestern

Banned
I would expect the LED to look better in 4K - I'm just not sure I will see the difference in OLED.

Lg oled looks great its a though call really.

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Sounds little expensive when it's not going to be a new model and you can order today one from Sweden with 60000sek (6600€ or 5500£) and status 'in stock'.
LG 55EA880W - Hitta bästa pris, recensioner och produktinformation på PriceRunner Sverige

And in Finland a (most likely) grey imported 880V is advertised with price tag of 4340€ (about 3600£) but since stock shows zero there is no guarantee when or if one arrives if you order one.

Fair point, but I don't expect it to hang around at that price long

noidea

I can also see the difference on the 55" Sony 4K LED but I would rather have a 1080p OLED every day of the week than a 4K LED.

Absolutely. I just don't get LED at all. Was in Richer Sounds in Swiss Cottage today and the only set they had on display that looked in any way acceptable was a low end plasma.
OLED is an exciting technology but it's a great shame that LED has won over Plasma

vaktmestern

Banned
I dont look at the 4k led on colours n blacklevels but the added picture detail... Add that detail with tbe stunning blacks n contrast of a oled ... going to be stunning.

benny

Until input lag is below 30ms i wouldnt want one, as good as they'll be.
ZT65 is the best screen available at 1080p, for sports, movies and games.
When they make flat 55-65" oled with a fast response for gamer's then
£2000-3000 would be the mark.
For now its a ZT and Vita for my oled fix!!

benny

Sorry posted the above in wrong thread, should have been in the what price for 55" oled thread.

Scooby2000

Distinguished Member
Last years LG still catches my gaze, its now surrounded by 4k LED that all look over sharp and washed out in comparison, mind you the demo on it helps, black background and stunning colours on show...I want it! :(

scrapbook

Distinguished Member
Last years LG still catches my gaze, its now surrounded by 4k LED that all look over sharp and washed out in comparison, mind you the demo on it helps, black background and stunning colours on show...I want it! :(
Don't you get staff discount?

Desk

I'm beginning to have doubts about the wisdom of holding off on the 4K sets, mainly because of concerns about 4K itself.

In the absence of any 4K content, all that remains is upscaling 1080p or perhaps even SD PAL 576, and I've read suggestions that, with some displays, blu-rays upscaled to 4K actually look inferior to how they'd appear on a native 1080p panel.

With this in mind, is there any point in waiting longer and paying more for a display which provides a rendering of 1080p content that's actually inferior to what's available just now?

Does anyone have experience of a 4K set, perhaps an LG model, which might give an indication as to how its hardware and software handles upscaling?

Desk

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th January 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Philips introduces new 9206 and 8506 LED Android TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips unveils 9636 and 9506 MiniLED TVs
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Philips announces 806, 856 and 706 OLED TVs for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett