1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGPX11 - Inconsistent Good Picture & Lipsync Problems???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Vipen, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've decided not to continue in the larger LG thread, it's quite basic what i would like to know.

From the LG thread there seems to be alot of people who are not so happy with the picture they are obtaining from their panel. But there are also some who are exceptionally happy with their picture.

I understand it's all a little subjective and dependant on equipment set-up, but you never hear this problem with the Panny and wonder where the problems lay to give such inconsistent reviews. In the panel itself or in the set-up?

And can anyone explain exactly what seems to be this inherent problem with the lipsync? I would not be happy with any set that has any amount of lipsync problems.

I have seen the LG and Panny in action and tbh, they both seemed ok but they weren't set up properly nor did i have the time to hang around and ask them to do this but would appreciate comments from owners.

Thanks for your responses

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Picture wise, I'll risk a flaming from the LG owners club, and say I don't think it's the setup, I think it's owner expectation. Lipsync is due to the difference between audio and video processing time. At the high end, there is a noticeable difference between the processing time of a top Lumagen and an iscan HD, so much so that DVDO provide an audio delay facility on their scaler. My guess is that the cheaper components in the LG are slower than some other panels, and are a primary cause of the lip sync problems which do seem more frequent with this plasma than many others. Unfortunately, LG owners are also less likely to have an AV amp with the delay facility built in, like a Denon 3805 or some such.

3. kocl

kocl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi, i have a lg from august 2004, and the lip sync problem that i have was from internal tuner, solved in sept by lg.
    I use vhs,dvd,dvr and not having any lip sync issues, from tv speakers or from av amp (ax5i).
    Not all in lg is good, it has some problemas like other panels have. The worst problem for me is solarizarion with poor sources.
    hope is helps.

4. vectrasri99

vectrasri99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the LG and don't have any problems with the screens speakers (default to a 3ms delay). The problem I have is with playing stuff recorded on SKY+ using the optical out. I set my amp delay (Yamaha DPS-AX1) to a 3ms but sometimes the picture goes in and out of sync. This is ok with the LG internal speakers so I would say most problems seem to be the other kit and not the screen. My pioneer 575 does not go out of sync using digital out.

In terms of picture they are excellent on a good source and what I mean by that is a good bitrate from sky and or quality encoded DVD. So SKY and/or cheapest component DVD player gives great results.

M

5. bigtruth

bigtruth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have both Panels LG AND pw6 ,they both have occasional Lip sync issues on some channels and seems to re-adjust if you change away from the Channel with Lip sync and then back. I am not worried anyway, one thing is for sure, if you are looking for faults, you will surely find fault in ANY PLASMA, I will say buy and enjoy.

MAW..... You said this,....... (My guess is that the cheaper components in the LG are slower than some other panels, and are a primary cause of the lip sync problems which do seem more frequent with this plasma than many others. Unfortunately, LG owners are also less likely to have an AV amp with the delay facility built in, like a Denon 3805 or some such.)

I am sure you know that all plasmas seems to suffer a degree of lip sync problems including your beloved Panasonics, we have seen lots of posts where people have one complain or another about their panny screens, their is no such thing as a perfect plasma. Buying wisely doesnt mean LG owners are poor, £1300-£2200 telly is not cheap, so making a statement that those that own LG are less likely to own quality Amp is not right. I think we should do away with class statements, we in Britain pay too much for everything we buy and if people start getting wise about their wallets, then good for them.
    I am very much intrested to know the so called cheaper products in LG Panels, afterall we were told that the very expensive SONY plasmas were made by Samsung.

6. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    I am certain my statement about lower priced amps is correct, actually. Of course sweeping generalisations always have exceptions, but in the main buyers of equipment aimed at the so called 'budget' end will be consistent in their buying habits, I don't have a problem with that, just that if you've saved £4-500 by buying a lower priced display, you are likely to have spent correspondingly less on other kit too.
    Lower priced components are how LG undercuts the japanese, amongst other ways, like cheap labour costs. BTW it's sony LCD's made by Samsung, plasma is by Hitachi. As for paying too much in britain, no longer I think you'll find. The internet is busy putting paid to that. Lastly, an LG may be a wise buy for you, but by inference you are calling buyers of Japanese plasmas unwise, ie stupid. This is not wise either! No inference intended there, nor any insult to LG or their buyers, but it is budget equipment. It does a job, fills a hole in the market, but that does not make it 'just as good' as more expensive, better designed and built gear. Nobody would say a Kia pride was as good as a Toyota Yaris, or would they?

7. Vipen

Vipen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    MAW, thanks for your opinions, whether biased or not, but i know what your saying and it all goes into the equation in the end.

big truth, you mention you get occasional lip sync problems on both of your plasmas. what's your take on this then? is it usually when watching say sky as opposed to a dvd source?

i'm just trying to clear all this up as the problems appear to be intermittent and when i saw systmes running there was no sync problem. lip sync (at it's worst) is the one problem i'd like to avoid when choosing a plasma. i have a NAD T752 a/v amp and will have to check for delay compensation but not sure it has it.

8. bigtruth

bigtruth
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Yes, I have only noticed lip sync on some Sky+ channels, I have not noticed any on DVD source.

9. midiman

midiman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I'm an LG owner (of 2 weeks) with a Bose Lifestyle 25 surround system and am using optical to coax conversion for digital input. I would have to concur with the above. On the Movie channels, Sky one/mix etc I get no lipsync proplems. However on the ITV channels it is very noticable. :thumbsdow I havent done an exhaustive comparison but it show it varies. Lipsycing from the panels speakers is spot on. :thumbsup:

This would suggest to me that the problem lies with the Audio path from SKY+ to the speaker output which dosent go anywhere near the panel itself. My thoughts are (and correct me if I am wrong ;) ) that if the panels own display & speakers sync up perfectly.... Then it's probably not the panel at fault......

I havent checked all the comments on the forum about lipsync issue but from recollection this does appear to be a problem with SKY+ to surround sytems. SKY+ uses optical out which in itself is going to add to the delay because it first has to convert the electrical signal to optical. Then the recieving end is going to have to convert it back again. I have no idea why the delay is varriable on different channels though. Perhaps others can embelish on this.

10. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Unfortunately that is not the correct explanation at all. The video is behind the audio, not vice versa, and lip sync problems are caused, apart from by broadcasters which is frequent, by slow video processing. The sound is in your ear before the screen has processed and displayed the picture. The problem is far from unique to LG, it's virtually universal with video processors, and of course if you didn't have such a nice big picture you would rarely notice. Sky is poor for audio/video sync, it can often be helped by a reset of the set top box if that's where the fault lies, but fact remains that plasmas take a finite amount of time to display, all of them do, and sometimes it shows.

11. plasmosis

plasmosis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wow...took me hours reading through the other link..... there seem to be alot of discussion about the older lg model firmware 3.1 I think getting mixed up with the newer 5.1 firmware. Initially I thought the lip syn issue was only associated with the older 3.1 firmware??? I guess i was wrong. Nway its still good to know that only a few channels are affected.

I actually saw one of these screens on display at selfridges london near a pioneer the other day and was very impressed by it. the picture via s video dvd I think, using my 'unexpert' eyes was very difficult to distinguish!! Unfortunately I didnt listen to the sound and there was no sky connected.

Could some one with the NEW version please let me know if there are any lip syn problems on sky sports (watch mainly footy) and how does the screen perform when watching football on sky?

cheers

12. spoonthumbs

spoonthumbs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On my newer screen the football looks great - watch the 'Tickertape' message as at times that can look a bit slow, but it gives an 'American' feel to the show.

On the lipsync issue, I watched a DVD the othernight (Dinnerladies Vol.1 - I know...) and I had Lipsync - Using Component for the Video and Co Dig Cable for Sound to a Sony Av Amp. May be a one off DVD, but it does seem to come and go a bit.

Any cheap boxes we can add to our systems to help with any delay?