LGoled65C8 sending sound to Marantz SR6013 receiver over HDMI

dazzler9000

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the newbie question.... I've been out the AV world getting on for 10 years.

I've just got the above kit and I'm trying to set it up today in a rush as always....

Most of my viewing is done through the smart TV for Plex and Netflix etc. although I have a Virgin V6 connected directly to the Marantz also. I have 1 HDMI cable to send the sound from the TV to the Marantz. I'm using HDMI 2 ARC on the TV and set the sound settings to use HDMI ARC. Is one HDMI cable enough, I though ARC worked in both directions?

Which port HDMI do I use on the Marantz? I have a choice of HDMI out - Zone 2, Monitor1 ARC and Monitor 2? I also have all the usual cab/sat, DVD and Bluray.

Really appreciate some help :)

The MONITOR 1 output on the receiver is the ARC enabled output. This needs to be connected to the ARC enabled input on the TV if wanting to use ARC.

ARC enables the cable between the AV receiver and the TV to be used to convey audio from the TV to the AV receiver. In order for this to be used you'd need to turn ARC on onboard both devices. This is done onboard the TV by enabling the TV's implimentation of HDMI CEC. LG call their implimentation Simplink:

You'd then also need to set the TV's speaker setting to the option that relates to HDMI ARC as opposed to having it set to the TV's own speakers.

THe AV receiver will also have both an HDMI Control and a ARC setting within its HDMI configurations. Turn both of these on if wanting to use ARC.

It is advised that you power both TV and AV receiver down into standby and then power them back up after making the HDMI configuration changes needed for ARC. This should establish a new HDMI handshake between them that utilises the new configurations.

The AV receiver should automatically switch to the ARC audio source if you select such an audio source via the TV.

It should be noted that conventional ARC is limited to much the same audio as you'd expect from optical audio connection so no HD formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD. It can however convey Dolby Digital Plus and Atmos metadata can also be conveyed in conjunction with DD+ via HDMI ARC.

Also note that while ARC is in effect the TV's menus will not be conveyed to the TV and the HDMI connection between the TV and the receiver will only be used to convey audio from the TV back to the receiver.

Last edited:
Thanks for this, much appreciated. I'm out out the moment but as soon as I'm home, I'll take a look.

Looks like ARC is no use to me anyway then if I require HD formats. What are my other options, running two HDMI cables? Not against this but just a bit of a faff getting the cable through the wall.

The only options if wanting to access HD formats would be to use both a TV and an AVR that are Enhanced ARC compliant or to connect the source directly to one of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs.

If the content were files stored on a NAS then you'd want to look at using a media player or streaming box able to play those files and with the ability to bitstream the associated audio out via HDMI to your AV receiver.

Thanks Dante01, you've been most helpful.

I'm guessing none of my kit support EARC, so I'll connect up the other HDMI ASAP.

Presumably, I'd just use the Bluray input but what needs to be set at the TV end? Do I disable the ARC setting I switched on? I'm guessing not as all of the other options were for optical or 'use TV speakers'.

How about the Simplink, will this still be needed?

Simply turn off ARC onboard the AV receiver. You may however still wish to use it in association with other audio that you may in future want to access via the TV?

Simplink is the same as HDMI Control and you can leave it engaged if wanting to use HDMI Control.

I've tried everything and can't get my TV to send audio to my receiver OR get my receiver to play it. The only way I've got audio at the moment is by doing it over optical (still sounds great). But the whole purpose of buying new kit was to have HD formats!

Even going HDMI from the TV to Bluray input on the receiver doesn't work. Any idea's?

Would I be better off getting a streamer box and connecting that to the receiver. Do you know which ones do HD formats?

You'd not get HD audio via conventional ARC anyway and you'd need eARC to do this. The AV receiver is eARC compliant, but I don't think your TV is? Both the TV and the AV receiver would need to be eARC complint in order for you to be able to convey HD audio via ARC.

Conventional ARC has much the same restrictions associated with it as you'd associat with S/PDIF optical. You cannot convey HD formats such as DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD or more than 2 channels of PCM data. The only real advantage ARC has over S/PDIF is its ability to convey Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital PLus can in turn be used to packae Atmos metadata.

If wanting to cpnvey HD formats from a TV to an AV receiver then you'd need both devices to be eARC compliant.

Last edited:
Pretty sure you're right ref EARC and my kit.

So would a fire stick 4k into my receiver provide me with the HD sound formats (or some) and then be able to send the video to my TV?

Please point me in the right direction if there's something better than the fire stick 4k :)

What is it you are wanting to access and play? The NVIDIA Shield is often put forward as being a viable option if wanting a player/streaming device with the ability to both handle 4K video sources and bitsream HD audio and Atmos/DTS:X audio. You could run Plex on it and output HD audio to your AV receiver via HDMI.

As to getting ARC to work, it could simply be a matter of changing the HDMI cable? The cable can sometimes be responsible for being unable to access audio via ARC. Try to use a good quality high speed cable that is ethernet compliant. Older HDMI cables wil not include the ethernet channel compliance associated with more recent cables and the non compliant cables will not allow you to use ARC. If you've not already done so then try a different cable between your AV receiver and your TV. Amazon's own BASICS HDMI cables are both reliable and affordable:

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
What is it you are wanting to access and play? The NVIDIA Shield is often put forward as being a viable option if wanting a player/streaming device with the ability to both handle 4K video sources and bitsream HD audio and Atmos/DTS:X audio. You could run Plex on it and output HD audio to your AV receiver via HDMI.

I've traditionally had a Plex server running and play all of my content through my Smart TV. Ideally, I wanted to benefit from all the latest and greatest HD sound formats. I also watch Netflix, so this could also be done via the Shield.

So just to be clear, I'd plug the Shield into one of the inputs (bluray for instance), send audio to the receiver and then use the other HDMI from 'monitor 1 (ARC)' to get the video to my TV?.

As to getting ARC to work, it could simply be a matter of changing the HDMI cable? The cable can sometimes be responsible for being unable to access audio via ARC. Try to use a good quality high speed cable that is ethernet compliant. Older HDMI cables wil not include the ethernet channel compliance associated with more recent cables and the non compliant cables will not allow you to use ARC. If you've not already done so then try a different cable between your AV receiver and your TV. Amazon's own BASICS HDMI cables are both reliable and affordable:

As for HDMI cables, those amazon ones are the exact ones I've bought :(

Yes. you'd conect the media player or streaming box to one of the AV receiver's HDMI inputs and pass the video through and out to your TV.

Note that the Shield wont give you Dolby Vision in association with Netflix. I'd personally try to get ARC working or look at another device to access Netflix via if Dolby Vision is of importance to you. The issue with this will be that devices such as the Apple TV that can fascilitate Dolby Vision in association with Netflix cannot run applications such as Plex and have no HD audio capabilities of any description. I'd therefore suggest you try get ARC working in order to get DV HDR in association with Netflix anf just concentraye on user a media player or streaming box to play ripped files via.

This article may be of some interest to you:

and:

Remember that you also want a device to act as a media player as well as being a streaming box so ensure that the box includes the ability to play the types of containing you have your files saved as and that its media player includes the ability to play the HD formats you want to play and that it can bitstream these to your AV receiver.

Last edited:
It really is a minefiled isn't it. I'd just assumed there would be a device out there that would do it all!

Thanks for the links, I'll have a read and try and figure out where to go from there. Currently, I'm using optical which to be fair, sounds stunning through my M&Ks.

After switching it all back on today everything works via ARC? No idea what's changed but everything is working well now.

Thanks for your patience and advice.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom