Question LGOLED65B7 Passthrough via HDMI (DTS ATMOS)

BionicArm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Longtime follower of the forum. Its great how much information is available around so it is my go to place! I have been searching through this forum to find an answer to this specific question but I can't seem to find the answer I am looking for (or maybe the way I am planning my set up is incorrect).

I have a question around using audio pass through.

I am purchasing an LGOLED65B7. I have always been a fan of AV Receivers and wired speakers so i was originally planning on purchasing a 4K receiver with a speaker set. However I have been looking into soundbars and I am thinking of scrapping the 4k reciever idea and getting the HW-K950 Soundbar instead.

However the soundbar only has 2 hdmi inputs so If i go down this route i have a question around the setup.

My plan is to connect the following directly to the tv (as it has 4 hdmi inputs which i am assuming all accept 4k inputs? Please let me know if i am wrong)
XBOX one X
Apple Tv 4k
Nvidea Shield
Wii U

Is it then possible to passthrough the audio from these sources directly to the soundbar ?So if i am watching a movie with atmos on the XBOX One X will the atmos soundtrack be passthrough to the Soundbar? Also if i am using the Netflix which is built into the tv, can the audio soundtrack of that be passed through to the soundbar?

If this isn't possible then i may have to scrap the soundbar idea and go down the av receiver route.

If you get the LG 65OLEDE7 it already has an Atmos soundbar and I can confirm it is pretty good for what it is.

As far as I'm aware Atmos is only available from the built in apps. It can't be passed through from the HDMI ports.

assuming you are going to use hdmi/ARC to carry sound from the tv to the soundbar, ARC doesn't support the HD audio formats, so from your list you'd need to connect at least the xbox to the soundbar directly to get the hd formats

...ARC doesn't support the HD audio formats, so from your list you'd need to connect at least the xbox to the soundbar directly to get the hd formats
eARC does though...

Which some of the 2017 ranges of LG televisions are being updated to support.

eARC does though...

Which some of the 2017 ranges of LG televisions are being updated to support.

soundbar would need to support it too though right? and the model he has listed doesn't the last time i checked. apologies if i am wrong on that

Hi All,

Thanks for your responses. I think I need to take a different approach into achieving what I want which is Dolby Vision and Atmos (Which is why i mentioned plugging the sources directly into the TV). I think the better approach is to find a soundbar that supports Dolby Vision Passthrough rather than trying to plug all the sources into the TV directly and hoping that they can pass the atmos signal through as my understanding is the atmos source can only be passedthrough from the inbuilt TV Applications, not the externally connected HDMI sources.

Currently i can only find two soundbars that support dolby vision passthrough:

Sony HT-ST5000
LG SJ9

I am hoping that some new soundbars will be announced at CES which support this. If not I will go for the Sony HT-ST5000

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom