LGOLED55B7 Set up Onkyo Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Drunkenbear, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Drunkenbear

Drunkenbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new LGOLED55B7 TV and a new Xbox one x which are running through an older ONKYO TX-SR606 Amp via an optical cable (As no ARC on amp). The Xbox is connected direct to the TV for visual and set up for optical bi-stream DTS on the Xbox settings.

The ONKYO sound test produces sound through my 7.1 set up speakers in the correct manner for side and rear speakers etc however when playing sound through the xbox game or TV it only produces sound on the front speakers even though set to Dobly Pro Logic II.

I have run a Dolby test via youtube as well and get the same results.

Anyone know what I am doing wrong or need to do to get the setup to work? Do I need to tell the amp to run Dolby through the digital input button?

2. ajcole71

ajcole71
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did I miss why you aren't running the Xbox through the onkyo and then to the tv?

3. Drunkenbear

Drunkenbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Because the amp is too old to run 4K through the HDMI port and then through the out to the TV. Hence the direct connection

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135

It should be noted that no content on YouTube consists of more than 2 channels as far as audio is concerned. You cannot convey multichannel Dolby Digital or DTS via YouTube and all audio is in stereo. You cannot use content uploaded to YouTube to test multichannel surround setups with.

When you say "front speakers" do you include the centre speaker or are you just referring to the left and right speakers? What format does the recever actually indicate that it is receiving, PCM, Dolby Digital or DTS?

5. Drunkenbear

Drunkenbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info not sure why Dolby put them on youtube then.

Yes by front I mean left, centre and right. So right side and right rear come through the front right and the same for the left side.

I can change the format but I tried it on Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital this morning with no joy.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    Dolby didn't upload them to YouTube. Someone else copied the video and uploaded them to YouTube. That person was unaware that YouTube downmix all multichannel formats and only stream audio in stereo.

Pro Logic is not a format and is audio processing applied by a receiver than upmixes audio with fewer channels to create pseudo channels that are absent. Dolby Digital is a format, but doesn't always consist of more than just 2 channels. If the receiver is indicating y=that you are receiving Dolby Digital, and you are getting output from the centre speaker without applying additional upmixing such as that associated with Pro LOgic then this indicates that the issue is more than likely with the source and that the source is not outputting rear channel audio.

You cannot change a format. THe dormat is what the audio was encoded with and you have no control over this. You only get Dolby Digital if the audio is encoded as Dolby Digital. You can downmix it or convert it at source, but you'd either get 2 channel or multichannel PCM as a result of this. You cannot convey multichannel PCM via S/PDIF optical or ARC so if your TV is configured to output PCM you'd only ever get 2 channel PCM via that option. THe only way to convey multichannel PCM is via a direct HDMI connection from the source to the receiver.

I've seen similar instances of this reported relating to the XBox, but I've no idea why it occurs or whether it can be rectified?

What is the incoming format as displayed on the receiver's front panel display?

7. Drunkenbear

Drunkenbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The source from either Xbox, TV or Netflix is in 5.1 /7.1 as a source Dolby Digital or better.

I'll play around with the input settings tonight to see what I can do and try an obvious 5.1 or 7.1 source such as Star Wars Bluray.

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    You'll not be able to convey 7.1 HD formats such as Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio via S/PDIF optical. You are limited to 5.1 SD formats such as DTS or Dolby Digital or to 2 channel PCM if using optical.

9. Drunkenbear

Drunkenbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok thanks but a £30 optical cable is cheaper than a new amp that can run HDMI Arc for 7.1HD Formats for now.

10. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    ARC cannot carry HD formats either. Only a direct HDMI connection from source to an AV receiver can carry these formats. THere is a newer version of ARC ytermed eARC that will allow you to convey HD formats, but this will only be possible on the most current TVs and AV receivers. You'd have to also await an update when it comes to the AV receivers oon question.

11. Drunkenbear

Drunkenbear
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So to make it simple can you tell me how to connect everything?

I have an Onkyo TX-SR606 Amp, LGOLED55K TV, Xbox one X and BT TV.

I have to run the xbox direct to the TV to get the 4K output. So how do you get the audio sound from the Xbox or TV to the amp for 5.1 or 7.1 sound?!

12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,135
    Configure the XBox to bitsream all audio and connect it to the TV via HDMI. Also ensure you select the consoles HDMI output for audio output. Configure the TV to passthrough/Bitstream digital audio (don't use the PCM option) and set its speaker setting to the setting that corresponds to its optical audio output. Again, connect the BT box to the TV via HDMI. Set its audio output options to Dolby Digital in relation to its HDMI output.

THe XBox will not output 7.1 audio to your TV because the TV hasn't any ability to handle it or pass it through. THe XBox will use the next option down that the source content includes as opposed to the 7.1 or HD option.

BT don't broadcast anything that would be encoded with HD audio. The closest you'd get is DD+, but this would still result in you getting DD 5.1 if the content in question is encoded with multichannel surround.

13. bahamuteos

bahamuteos
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a simular problem. I have a very old Oniko TX-NR801 receiver. When using the Netflix sound check video my sound beahves the same way for my 5.1 system. The back left and right channel play though the front speakers, and but the center channel plays correctly. I'm going to try and route the plan here of routing the sound though my (~3 year old 60 inch Model E Vizio) TV to see if that helps.

But assuming it doesn't, is this something that can be fixed with a new receiver? I've been looking into getting one for a while. Can anyone test to see if that Netflix video test apps works correctly for their setup? I don't really ever hear my back speakers going off, but I can't think of another sure-fire way to test the setup on my xbox.