LGOLED C1 (48") or Samsung QN94A (50")

Andrewprod

Novice Member
Hi there. I have changed my mind multiple times and am no nearer a decision ☹️
I currently have a 49" LG Nanocell 8600pla. It's absolutely great, but my daughter's TV is giving up the ghost, so like the loving, generous father I am I'm giving her the Nanocell and buying myself a new one.

Both the C1 and the 94A seem to have pros and cons (for me).

I am not worried about screen burn on the C1 - I think the mitigations LG have on their OLEDs now are fine.

I do no gaming whatsoever.
Mixed TV viewing, with some Netflix. A fair bit of YouTube (mostly streaming live chess tournaments). Some SD content (eg local news on BBC). Some sport (football, rugby, athletics). I have Sky Q and a Panasonic UltraHD blue-ray box.

My concerns on the C1 are:

1) Not sure if my room is bright or not. At night it's a dark room, during the day (and in the summer it's daylight until gone 10pm)... I don't know. What constitutes a bright room? So screen reflections and brightness of screen might be an issue.

2) SD upscaling.

3) How does the C1 handle motion blur on live sports?

On the Q94A my concerns are:

1) I have read criticisms from some people on the Q94A's motion handling. Is it going to be worse than the C1 in that regard?

2) Will it be too bright? Though presumably I can just bring the brightness down and leave it there (for all inputs/content?).

3) Again, what is the SD upscaling like? I saw one video review in particular where it looked significantly worse than the C1.

I have attached a photo of my current living room with TV so people might consider whether it's bright or dark.

I daresay people with have conflicting opinions. I am sure they are both great TVs.

Any thoughts welcome and appreciated 🙂
IMG_20210802_155425.jpg

Dodgexander

If you are shopping for an LCD TV generally its a bad idea right now to consider buying newly released 2021 models. They are expensive, and you may be better off considering last years stock instead.
The OLEDs at this size are a little different, they tend to be more expensive than the 55" models, and they don't seem to drop in price like others do. Still though, you're more likely to catch a good deal on an outgoing 2020 model, than going for a newly released one.
1) Not sure if my room is bright or not. At night it's a dark room, during the day (and in the summer it's daylight until gone 10pm)... I don't know. What constitutes a bright room? So screen reflections and brightness of screen might be an issue.
Without being able to measure the brightness, there's no way to know. I'd say if you have no problems with the current TV, you also won't have a problem with an OLED, which in many circumstances can get brighter.
2) SD upscaling.
Not something you should really be thinking about with your sources. At what point will you be using the upscaling of the TV compared to the upscaling of Sky Q or your UHD Blu-Ray player? Most people will have those set to a 4k output, so the TV does not upscaling. Nontheless, LG have caught up quite a bit in recent years, so I wouldn't worry about it anyway.
3) How does the C1 handle motion blur on live sports?
OLEDs have next to no motion blur.
1) I have read criticisms from some people on the Q94A's motion handling. Is it going to be worse than the C1 in that regard?
Really won't know until you try it. Motion is very subjective. The C1 OLED will have no motion blur which will mean the picture will look cleaner in that respect. On the other hand the Samsung LCD will have more blur less stutter in pans.
2) Will it be too bright? Though presumably I can just bring the brightness down and leave it there (for all inputs/content?).
You can control the backlight (or OLED backlight) on all TVs. For HDR though, always have it on highest.
3) Again, what is the SD upscaling like? I saw one video review in particular where it looked significantly worse than the C1.
Best in class upscaling together with Sony. Although as per my answer above I'm not sure you'll even use it.

In your shoes I'd save some money personally and try and find a 2020 Sony XH9505 instead. If choosing only from 2021 stock, OLEDs like the C1 are better priced compared to their 2020 predecessors in comparison to LCD TVs.

Andrewprod

Novice Member
If you are shopping for an LCD TV generally its a bad idea right now to consider buying newly released 2021 models. They are expensive, and you may be better off considering last years stock instead.
The OLEDs at this size are a little different, they tend to be more expensive than the 55" models, and they don't seem to drop in price like others do. Still though, you're more likely to catch a good deal on an outgoing 2020 model, than going for a newly released one.

Without being able to measure the brightness, there's no way to know. I'd say if you have no problems with the current TV, you also won't have a problem with an OLED, which in many circumstances can get brighter.

Not something you should really be thinking about with your sources. At what point will you be using the upscaling of the TV compared to the upscaling of Sky Q or your UHD Blu-Ray player? Most people will have those set to a 4k output, so the TV does not upscaling. Nontheless, LG have caught up quite a bit in recent years, so I wouldn't worry about it anyway.

OLEDs have next to no motion blur.

Really won't know until you try it. Motion is very subjective. The C1 OLED will have no motion blur which will mean the picture will look cleaner in that respect. On the other hand the Samsung LCD will have more blur less stutter in pans.

You can control the backlight (or OLED backlight) on all TVs. For HDR though, always have it on highest.

Best in class upscaling together with Sony. Although as per my answer above I'm not sure you'll even use it.

In your shoes I'd save some money personally and try and find a 2020 Sony XH9505 instead. If choosing only from 2021 stock, OLEDs like the C1 are better priced compared to their 2020 predecessors in comparison to LCD TVs.
Thanks Dodgexander - really useful advice. I have looked at the CX, but can't really find it at a significantly competitive price to the C1.
Will have a look at the XH9505 this evening.
I understand what you are saying about pricing of 2021 models, and of course that's right. I just want to get the best TV for my £1299 buck 🙂
I think the C1 is favourite (from John Lewis) but this time last night I was on the brink of buying the QN94A 😕

Dodgexander

Last I checked you could buy the Sony 49XH9505 for less than £900. There's no need to be spending more than that for your use cases really. The QN94A is insanely priced at the moment, 48" OLEDs have been expensive for some time. Once you get above the XH9505 you're moving into to drastic diminishing returns with picture quality.

At larger sizes its a little different, since prices are more flexible. There's very little competition at smaller sizes today, so its harder to find a bargain. The 48" OLEDs sell for more than the 55" versions do.

Andrewprod

Novice Member
Last I checked you could buy the Sony 49XH9505 for less than £900. There's no need to be spending more than that for your use cases really. The QN94A is insanely priced at the moment, 48" OLEDs have been expensive for some time. Once you get above the XH9505 you're moving into to drastic diminishing returns with picture quality.

At larger sizes its a little different, since prices are more flexible. There's very little competition at smaller sizes today, so its harder to find a bargain. The 48" OLEDs sell for more than the 55" versions do.
Anything over 50" would be out of proportion to the room, so am stuck with maybe paying a premium for a smaller size screen. I will say that SD via the ariel is slightly better than via the SkyQ box, so I guess my Nanocell upscales better than Sky 🙂
Anyway, a happy evening ahead exploring the XH9505!

apjs87

Novice Member
Anything over 50" would be out of proportion to the room, so am stuck with maybe paying a premium for a smaller size screen. I will say that SD via the ariel is slightly better than via the SkyQ box, so I guess my Nanocell upscales better than Sky 🙂
Anyway, a happy evening ahead exploring the XH9505!
How did you get on with your dilemma? What did you go for in the end and are you happy?

VAblklvs249

Is the 50" Q94A an IPS panel and the 55" Q94A a VA panel, or both sizes VA panels?

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom