1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGMZ42PZ14 owners - what connections &/or gadgets do you use?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by TP2K, Mar 8, 2003.

1. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having had mine for about a month now, and being unable to connect via JS VGA due to LG's odd-ball frequency, I am interested how other owners have their equipment set up and to see if I can better mine.

What cables/connectors/gadgets do you use and what is your image like?

2. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK probably not the best setup, but Im using a ProV and my AV amp to connect everything up as follows

VCR-->Composite to Svideo converter (svideo.com)-->AMP
    NTL Digibox--->Svideo SCART-->AMP
    DVD -->Svideo SCART-->AMP

AMP-->Svideo-->ProV
    ProV-->VGA-->Plasma

Works well for VCR and DVD, pity about crap picture on some NTL channels, particulary bad with strong colours, such as the purple shirts in Star-Trek

3. NellyT

NellyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive had the Lg 17 for a month or so and ive been trying to get it connected via the component conection from the digi box (scart) but have been unsucsesful. sky is used 95% of the time so i'd like this to be the best quality. Ive had to make doo with composite conection and i'm not convinsed this is the best picture.

The dvd is conected direct using s video and the vidio goes into the sky box first then to the plasma on composite.

ive tried the rgb to component converter but this failed to work.

anyone with ideas please.:

4. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you tried putting something other than the Sky box through the RGB to Component converter to check it's not (a) the converter or (b) the component inputs on the screen that are faulty?

Mike

5. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    Hi Nelly,

Are you using a JS Tech RGB to component converter? Can you try another source (eg RGB output from a DVD player) as Mike suggested? If you are using the JST box and are still having problems, try sending an email to johnsim@rgbtosvideo.com Good luck!

Steve

6. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Aerial -> Sony Video -> Freeview (Panny) -> LG Tuner

Sony video -> Argos Scart box (£5 scart)
    Freeview box -> Argos Scart box (£5 scart)
    Argos scart box -> LGTuner, AV1 (£5 scart)

Sony 525 -> LGTuner, AV2 (Monster 3 Video scart £60)

LGTuner ->LG14 via a bloomin thick python of a lead (came with the LG setup).

Life is so much simpler, and cheaper without SKY and Video games.:blush:

7. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sky Box to Lg17 via scart to composite video ( not great but watchable!)
    Sky audio to amp
    Tosh DVD to LG via component, audio to sky box via scart then to amp
    Laptop to LG via VGA cable, audio direct to amp.

8. Stimpy

Stimpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    adesonic
    Are you using a standard Scart to RGB cable (5 phono connectors) to the LG or using some kind of converter box inbetween. Having looked at the connectors on the LG the connectors are red, green, blue, however are marked as component (y, yn and something else).
    As my DVD player has RGB out, this would be the perfect solution

9. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    My set up on LG14 similar to Marts62.

Sky --> Scart to RGB1 on Tuner box.
    DVD,Video and X-Box all Scart to Argos Scart box --> Scart 2 on Tuner Box.
    LG Tuner box via hugely thick cable to Screen.
    PC via supplied VGA lead to LG screen.
    Component plug-in card on screen free for future DVD player with component output which my current one does not have.

Thought about the JS Convertor but not sure the advancement in picture quality is worth the cost?

10. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Fun & games with the LG, or what!?

Is there any reason why so many of you loop through so many devices? I am sure there must be, but... my setup is as follows - is this any good?;

Analogue Aerial -> Pioneer DVD-R
    Telewest digital -> Scart -> Pioneer DVD-R
    Telewest digital -> Scart -> LG Tuner Box AV1
    Pioneer DVD-R -> Component -> LG Tuner Box Component

Tried out the JS VGA box, but to my expensive mistake found it didn't work - is it worth a retry with the component box? Any difference likely?

Also, the LG VGA input won't accept a signal from my Laptop; I get the inital Samsung branding logo on startup and as soon as Windows 2000 kicks in the LG displays "No Signal".

Oddly enough if any owners are curious, I couldn't get a signal through the LG Tuner box for an S-Video cable, and a set of Ixos component leads don't work when directly plugged into the DVD-R/LG Tuner - I have to use a cheap (read: Maplins) set to get a singnal, and the replace each lead in sequence to keep the signal... the signal then stays fine (even if switched off) until it's disconnected - summat wrong there y'think?!

11. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't say I've had any problems, my setup is as follows...

Sky Digi -> AV1 LG Tuner (Scart)
    Xbox/Video/Karaoke Machine (the kids honest!!!) -> Argos Scart Box -> AV2 LG Tuner (Scart)
    PS2 -> AV3 (Composite)
    Limit 9600se -> Component Input LG Tuner
    HP Laptop (occasionally) -> VGA Input LG Tuner

LG Tuner -> LG MP..14 Screen.

Sky is sometimes amazing, sometime pants. Xbox/Video/PS2 all fine (although the pitch on Pro Evo Soccer on PS2 looks a bit "washed" out!). DVD looks amazing (only struggles slightly on really dark scenes!). Haven't had any problems using laptop.

cheers

Gant.

12. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    gant; mind if I ask what level picture settings you use?

13. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For DVD I use the pre-defined option "Standard". I'm not actually at home so I don't know what my user defined settings are for Sky, etc but I will check tonight and post tomorrow! The one I can kinda remember is the Sharpness setting, which I turned down to between 10 and 20, which initially seems too soft but after a few minutes I reckoned it was a definite improvement!

cheers

14. marts62

marts62

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    TP2K, did you try the thx testcard on the Terminator2 dvd?

15. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stimpy,

My DVD Player is connected bya 3 to 3 RCA RGB/ Component (whatever) cable, If you DVD player has RGB/ component out it should connect to the 17 no proble - I get a great picture this way. I only wish I had an alternative to the composite input for Sky digital which is OK for the wife watching coronation street but not so good on Sky 1/ Sci Fi etc.:confused:

16. NellyT

NellyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Still cant get the RGB to component convertor to work from Sky but (wait for it!) it works from the LG DVD player and the picture is nothing but brilliant. Does anyone know any reason why the scart output from Sky is different to that of the DVD player?

The composite connection from Sky is sometimes OK, but its no so good at the start of Coronation Street when it is paning over the rooftops. The wife tells me Gails face was a bit blotchy when they were in the garage. I have told her that is completely normal!!!:laugh:

17. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Stoopid question but is the SCART output from the Sky box definitely RGB and not composite?

If it's composite the RGB-to-YUV converter won't be able to convert anything and you will get "no signal" on the TV.

Mike

18. NellyT

NellyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike
    Sorry for the pm being off. its being altered now.

Ive tried the rgb component converter from the dvd player and this works but its an lg dvd player. dont know if this makes a difference. ill try the video tonight after the soaps have finished.

no one at sky knows if the scart output gives rgb output

Nelly T

19. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There may/should be an option somewhere in the Sky digibox setup menus to change the output from composite to RGB.

There certainly is on my Nokia Ondigital/ITVDigital box.

This could be the problem you're having with the JS RGB-to-YUV converter.

Mike

20. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have Sky but from a quick look at the other forums, you might want to go into the service/setup menu on your sky box and change the output from "PAL" to "RGB" to change from composite to RGB output (if it isn't already)

Mike

21. NellyT

NellyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MIke

I've changed the settings in sky from pal to rgb output. The only thing different is the screen saver with component signal not available does not appear.

are you connected from sky to component??

Nelly T

22. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have sky, I don't even have my plasma yet (it's on order)...

OK, you're probably getting closer...

* you have your Sky box set to RGB output (good!)
    * you have your RGB-to-YUV converter working ok (because you checked it with your DVD player)
    * you have your component inputs working OK (because it worked with the RGB-to-YUV converter and your DVD player)

Check you have a fully wired SCART cable between your Sky box and the RGB-to-YUV converter. Have a look at the connectors on the end of the SCART cable, if there's some missing it's not fully wired. Even if all the connectors are there it might not be fully wired - el cheapo SCART cables often aren't.

Try another SCART cable you know to be fully wired (all 21 pins). This could be why the RGB signal is not getting through from the Sky box to the RGB-to-YUV converter.

Mike

23. NellyT

NellyT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mike

I'll check the lead when i get home.

ps Do you class 20quid as a el cheepo lead?

24. symanski

symanski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    NellyT,
    email me or give me a call next week (just about to leave for the weekend - sorry) and we'll go through your system to see where you're having problems with the converter. In general it's because you've not got RGB switched on. Here's the check list:

1. Is RGB switched on in Sky / your source?
    2. Are the SCART leads fully wired?
    3. Is the SCART lead in the TV (not VCR) connector?
    4. Do not press the TV button, it switches off RGB but Sky button switches it back on.
    5. Email for technical support.

TP2K,
    sorry the LG screen isn't compatible with the RGB to Plasma VGA unit. It's because the horizontal line frequency of the LG screen starts at 30kHz but other such as Panasonic/Fujitsu/Pioneer tend to start at 15kHz. We need it at 15kHz.

However, RGB to Component should be a good alternative for you. Picture quality is superb with the converter.

If anybody is having problems with configuring their system with our products, please please get in touch with us. You can email, with all your system details and get a reply that you can always refer back to. Phone us and we'll talk you through how to connect up your system.

All the best,

Dr John Sim.

25. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    My advice for what it worth. I have had the LG 17 the screen for a couple of months now.

I have the following connected to the screen

DVD Player (Pioneer)
    NTL Digital
    Xbox

All three of these devices are connected via quality RGB scart cables to a rgb scart switch box.

The RGB switch box is then connected to a Scan RGB Scart to Component converter.

This produces:

Xbox - Excellent Quality
    DVD - Excellent Quality
    NTL - Good Quality (But depends on channel as quality varies greatly I have found between channels)

Good quality channels = Sky News, BBC News 24, E4, movie channels depending on movie, Sky Sports.

Poor channels (Or can be poor) Sky one (depends on program Buffy / Angel quite bad) have also seen problems on BBC / ITV but depends on program I am watching (24 not great for instance).

One thing I have noticed. Via NTL on certain TV adverts you will see every so often a slight "Tear" effect at the top of the screen.

This only seems to happen on Tv adverts, which have bright white backgrounds. I have been unable to find out if this is something do to with my setup (I.e. my RGB to component converter) or a peculiarity of this screen.

Speaking to people with good knowledge of this product and the equipment I am using I believe it may be a problem converting RGB to component in some circumstances. Doesn’t really bother me as it only happens on adverts but worth mentioning.

This problem NEVER shows itself on Xbox or Dvds. Cant decide whether a JS RGB - component converter would improve NTL & eliminate the tear effect on adverts.

Therefore I have come to the following decision. "Expert" installer is coming up to our area to install a new £6000 projector / cinema setup at a friends. I think I am going to be able to get him to cast an eye over my setup and pay him to professionally tune my Plasma screen and give his comments on where improvements can be made in my setup (DTS amp cabling RGB switch cables, converter etc......).

I know a bit about this stuff but he is meant to be the dogs bollo&^S so we will see what he says.

Other comments

Quality when watching Tv through NTL seems to vary greatly. Having had a close look at my friends 36" Tosh (One of the best CRT sets ever in my opinion) I can see the same problems.

They are just no where near as obvious behind the thicker glass and considerably smaller screen.

I have a good idea that as NTL / Sky quality is suspect at best it is probably worth me connecting this via Svideo. I am pretty sure this would provide a better result than the component route.

However the RGB - component converter produces excellent results Dvds & Xbox. More than happy with this. The only other comment I can make is that VGA - RGB converters do not work with LG screens due to synch issues already mentioned. But the component converter route seems to work well.

Also I don’t get any lip sync issues. I have heard this problem is quite bad on the Panasonic / Toshiba panels using this type of converter so another bonus point.

Good screen for the money and looks nice above the fireplace.

Bit of a rant but hope it helps. I would be interested in JS converter guys comments on the tear effect and NTL quality if he would like to make one. Might get himself a sale !

26. praju

praju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    quick question- u say your Xbox picture is great, but is playing games on a plasma ok?, as for decent crt's instructions say to avoid game playing. please advise.

27. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I have had absolutely no problems at all with image retention with this panel. Even when I play Fifa for 2 hours or more with my friends.

You have to make your own descisions but I am not worried about it. I dont pay this money for a screen and not use it for games.

If you look at past threads you will see that retention is not a big problem with newer plasma screens as long as they are used sensibly.

:lesson:

28. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    What's sensibly tho? I sometimes go on 8 hour benders of Winning Eleven 6 : FE, and i'm pretty sure that's a recipe my bank manager won't like.

29. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    It wont stop me using it for games. I have been amazed that this panel does not seem to get the ghosting that i have seen on other Plasmas after displaying still images for only 1 - 2 hours (wide screen movie bands etc)

It get them but run full screen video for a few secs and gone.
    I am not worried about it. Get on the net and do a bit of research like I did. Bit of a myth. As long as you have a descent quality screen and dont leave it playing MTV / Sky one etc for 24hrs should not have a problem

Incidentally I have a freind who did this on his panel left it on with MTV running when he went out on an all nighter and it still did not burn in !

30. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    TP2K,

Sorry I never posted earlier, but here are the picture settings you asked for before, that I use on my LG14 for watching SKY

Contrast 53
    Brightness 55
    Colour 45
    Sharpness 15

I achieved this using the AVIA disk (which I know is for NTSC, but its still better than nowt!), and I have to say I now no longer worry about the PQ i.e. when its good its great, when its not its Sky's fault ;o)

Hope this is of some help!