LGCX - Amazon Prime doesn't play UHD (in most cases)

RavenOvNadir

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello!

TLDR - CX is UHD only in Amazon Originals, other UHD marked titles are HD only.

My LG CX doesn't play UHD titles in Amazon Prime Video that aren't Amazon Originals. The Originals immediately start as UHD/HDR/Dolbyvision, no buffering, stuttering, anything. But if i pick up a title that isn't an Amazon Original that is marked as UHD in the top left corner of the thumbnail, it only plays in HD. Of course my connection is perfect, other streaming services work without fail and the only issue is with Amazon shows and movies. Any ideas? App was reinstalled multiple times, I checked on my own account and a few others - always the same.

Hello!

TLDR - CX is UHD only in Amazon Originals, other UHD marked titles are HD only.

My LG CX doesn't play UHD titles in Amazon Prime Video that aren't Amazon Originals. The Originals immediately start as UHD/HDR/Dolbyvision, no buffering, stuttering, anything. But if i pick up a title that isn't an Amazon Original that is marked as UHD in the top left corner of the thumbnail, it only plays in HD. Of course my connection is perfect, other streaming services work without fail and the only issue is with Amazon shows and movies. Any ideas? App was reinstalled multiple times, I checked on my own account and a few others - always the same.
Give some examples of titles that aren’t playing in UHD? Either an app bug or mis labelling. Prime doesn’t have much in UHD beyond their own stuff.

Well, pretty much anything that is supposed to be UHD and isn't Amazon's own. I'm in Poland so the list is probably different than yours, but recently I checked 1917, Greenland and Midway. If you want me to check a specific title, if it's available in my location I will. I tried everything and it's really weird.

Edit: just to confirm, I am checking titles that specifically say they are UHD.

Only Greenland is available on UK service and that fires up fine for me in 4K HDR. Sounds like an app bug.

Any ideas on how to fix it? I have reinstalled, didn't help.
Be sure you are choosing the 4K versions. I guess after that not much you can do. Happened on my C6 with Netflix for a while where shows just wouldn’t fire up in HDR for some reason. Eventually an update just fixed them.

Be sure you are choosing the 4K versions. I guess after that not much you can do. Happened on my C6 with Netflix for a while where shows just wouldn’t fire up in HDR for some reason. Eventually an update just fixed them.
I mean I get it, that there used to be a distinction between 4k and non 4k versions of movies, but I don't see, where to choose it :O I have a movie, top corner says UHD - I click it, choose start movie and that's it. And for Greenland i get that:

Attachments

• 20211219_210716.jpg
    20211219_210716.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 72
@RavenOvNadir,

Please confirm... Are you accessing the Amazon Prime service using the TV's built-in Amazon app, or another method?

@RavenOvNadir,

Please confirm... Are you accessing the Amazon Prime service using the TV's built-in Amazon app, or another method?
Using the Amazon app. It is up to date. TV was reset, same with the app - reinstalled multiple times.

I have raised a ticket with Amazon tech support too. My reasoning is, that perhaps there is some issue with DRM on the hardware level - maybe a certificate issue or something, causing the app to "misunderstand" the TV while streaming non-amazon files.

Last edited:
I've stopped trying to analyse this problem but it seems to me that it depends on where you source Amazon TV from. I have a choice of, via the TV App, a Virgin V6 box or an X Box Series S. I used to include a 4K Firestick as well. To a greater or lesser degree they do, or don't, readily home in the UHD versions of Amazon material. This seemed to be the case when I watched the latest Clarkson saga. Sometimes you have to locate the UHD version as previously suggested. On occasions any version will do and after a few seconds the UHD version clicks itself in automatically.

If there is a rule of thumb I not sure what it is. I also have a belief that, after a period of time, they seem to drop the 4k version but I can't substantially justify that statement except to say that shows I know I have seen in 4k no longer appear to have the option.

re the latest Grand Tour, I not only had a problem homing in on the 4K version but had difficulty getting rid of the subtitles as this function differs from one device source to another. Also this show is available dubbed in few different languages which can be quite amusing (not to be confused with subtitles) . A list of appropriate actors is given at the end of the credits.

Last edited:
I've stopped trying to analyse this problem but it seems to me that it depends on where you source Amazon TV from. I have a choice of, via the TV App, a Virgin V6 box or an X Box Series S. I used to include a 4K Firestick as well. To a greater or lesser degree they do, or don't, readily home in the UHD versions of Amazon material. This seemed to be the case when I watched the latest Clarkson saga. Sometimes you have to locate the UHD version as previously suggested. On occasions any version will do and after a few seconds the UHD version clicks itself in automatically.

If there is a rule of thumb I not sure what it is. I also have a belief that, after a period of time, they seem to drop the 4k version but I can't substantially justify that statement except to say that shows I know I have seen in 4k no longer appear to have the option.

re the latest Grand Tour, I not only had a problem homing in on the 4K version but had difficulty getting rid of the subtitles as this function differs from one device source to another. Also this show is available dubbed in few different languages which can be quite amusing (not to be confused with subtitles) . A list of appropriate actors is given at the end of the credits.
My case seems to be really weird. Because if Amazon Originals do work in UHD immediately - no buffering, no freezes, nothing of that sorts, why don't the non original productions? Especially as they do work properly for other people :D I will post you guys with an update from the tech support, once I have it. But in the meantime, if you have any ideas, feel free to chip in.

I was about to post the same question and found this. Example. Assassin’s Creed or Ad Astra. Marked as 4k/uhd. They will only play in HD. LGC1 internal app. If I put any Amazon content on Bosch, Clarkson, The Protégé, Without Remorse etc all instant HDR, UHD. 300mbps tested on the wired connection on the tv. It’s not bandwidth. I’m in the U.K. it’s not my setup or connection. It’s Amazon and/or LG. Driving me nuts.

Having same issue with my new C1. Tried a couple of programs below:

Upload
Reacher - did play in UHD now it is only HD?

Same issue on an LG CX. Most stuff won't play in UHD on the built in app or via Fire Cube. Found that Expanse, Upload and Homecoming do work. Couple that don't are Hating Game and All the old Knives.

Anyone found any workarounds?

This is also a problem that I have on my Sony TV that I've raised in another thread. I am convinced its a server side problem but there doesn't seem to be any way to resolve it. Basically items marked as UHD HDR only play in HD. Although I also have that problem with Ten Percent which is an Amazon original - only plays HD for me whilst other UHD HDR streams play almost instantly as they should. Doesn't seem any point in reporting it as nothing will happen but almost feels like false advertising to me. I imagine everyone will get told this is a local bandwidth issue which it clearly is not.

I know this is an old thread but, did anyone ever get a fix or identify the issue? There was an app update recently which I’d hope would fix it. But, no, same thing persists. Amazon UHD fires up immediately as uhd/hdr but anything marked as uhd, that isn’t Amazon produced, just plays in hd.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom