LGC165 and 4k firestick 4k playback problem

NinjaEpic

Novice Member
Reaction score
LGC165 and 4k firestick 4k playback problem.

I have the larest LG firmware and firestick firmware

When I play a 4k movie from amazon prime its showing as HD HDR

I thought the hdcp 2.2 was fixed with firmware?

TV is manufactured Nov 2021 brought it on a black friday deal.

Power off and on also do a reset on the TV

Firestick connected to HDMI 1
Sonos Arc Soundbar connected to HDMI 2

I get the same HD HDR 1080p - it says 4K in the icon in amazon prime but not when I pause it.

I get the same on the Da Vinci Code UHD version as well so something is not happy. Can you play 4K stuff in Netflix or Disney channel ?

Last edited:
OK if I press the ... button on the LG remote and then choose information it reports its at 2160p HDR when I play the Ice Road also when I play something in 4K on disney+ so maybe the amazon label is wrong.

EDIT - ok maybe thats wrong as watching anything seems to report 2160p on that information screen

NOTE I am also on the lastest TV firmware and have rebooted the TV since installing it - also I can get HDCP 2.3 output showing on my PS5 as indicated on this video as a test that the firmware is installed at 1:30

Last edited:
I get the same HD HDR 1080p - it says 4K in the icon in amazon prime but not when I pause it.

I get the same on the Da Vinci Code UHD version as well so something is not happy. Can you play 4K stuff in Netflix or Disney channel ?
Spoke with LG an they says its amazon prime or firestick problem not broadcasting 4k. This they only go to 58hz.

The LGC1 will do 120hz

Youtube app on firestick 4k is all ok, so not a hdcp 2.2 problem.

Also the amazon video app on the TV (not firestick) is ok too.

I’ve not tried netflix as I need to upgrade to get uhd 4k.

OK update I can get it to go 4K on the ice road.

I set the firestick to 4K only in its setting rather than automatic up to 4K.

I also turned on the dev options on firestick to show screen res output so I could see what was going on

see here how to do this

when I start the ice road it starts at 720p, then moved to 1080p and after around 30 seconds ish moves up to 4K . and when I pause it it says its UHD with the pause screen.

its possible I didnt need to set the res to forced 4K and I just wasnt waiting long enough for 4K to kick in on the movie the first time but I havent tested it with it back on automatic yet.

Think thats done it, thank you tried it on automatic too.

Do you think switching the developer tools advance menu on and off fixed it?

Have to wait about 30secs for UHD like you said.

I am sure earlier today i paused it after about a minute and it showed HD HDR when I tried it.

After doing what you suggested turning advance setting on and off and waiting 30sec and with automatic 4k its now working?

This is great thanks again

Did you two manage to sort this properly. I'm having the same issue but even more weird. Firestick is in HDMI 1 and once I click on it the TV automatically registers it as a Firestick and the magic remote instantly works and all content will play in UHD. I then plugged my PS5 into hdmi 2 and that also registered as a PS5 and magic remote works but as soon as I turn my PS5 off then the tv forgets the firestick completely and it now says HDMI 1 again instead of firestick and the magic remote no longer works and my content on the firestick gets pushed down to HD HDR. I've tried literally everything. I've enabled deep colour and simplink. I've turned off quickstart+ I've reset TV I've tried it in every HDMI port and have had no luck. Any help would really be appreciated as its driving me mad.

If your firestick is powered thru the USB on the tv, try using the AC power adaptor that came with the firestick.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom