LG65UF950V : how bad is this banding?

Gr1pper

Novice Member
Reaction score
Quick version: on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, how bad is this banding? Note that recording this and re-displaying this seems to decrease the effect.

Long version:
I'm a massive fan of passive 3D having had a Panasonic TX-L60ET5B for a few years now. (1080p 60", panel made by LG I believe.)

I wanted to get a 4K passive 3D tv before all the stock disappeared, and since 3D is no longer being made. I found a company selling the Sony KD65X8505 (2015) and the LG 65UF950V (2015) for the same price and went for the LG.

I was tending to think that any stock still out there would be returns, but was assured this set is new.

I ordered the 65UF950V and in every other way I am very happy with it but the banding is awful. I'm not sure I can put up with it. (Although this is a 2015 tv it does support HDR through the later firmware update.)

I am wondering whether I should be returning the screen for a refund, and whether to use the distance selling regulations, or sale of goods act? I only have 24 hours to consider it. And am I going to have a fight with this online retailer since the packaging will obviously not look "as new"?

I've read that every LED screen has banding or DSE to some degree. If I take the Sony instead will I just end up with a similar problem? (The Sony panels are presumably also made by LG and probably in the same year as my LG tv.) Are these TVs possibly returns repackaged by the manufacturer to look like new? Or would they always resell as "graded"?

I'm finding banding that is higher on the screen is more problematic since it will tend to appear in the sky as the shot pans. For me this the worst are the two bands to the right of centre.

Image:

20180316_081556.jpg

(Apologies for the sun reflection at the left middle of the screen: please ignore that).

Videos:

Not ALL TVs suffer from these issues,although it is rare to find one without any issues,I actually returned 15 TVs in 6 months due to these type of issues,I refused to accept any set that I wasn't satisfied with,I got a Sony 7073 in the end with perfect uniformity.As for yours,I would say that was awful,tbh there was no need for the videos that you attached as the banding is more than apparent on your first picture.For your own sanity,return it as you've now noticed it and your eyes will be forever drawn to the fault.

Thanks.

It's useful to hear a reference point from someone who's examined plenty of tvs. And yes, I do keep on noticing the problem.

I've started the return process.

I guess the question for me now is: how risky is it to take an old stock Sony KD65X8505?

I believe the Sony _may_ not support HDR. And I've read awful things about the menu system. But then I'd probably compromise and accept both of the above to get a good 4K 65" (or larger) passive 3d screen in comparison to what I have now. (There's the possibility that since these are end of line that these are also returns...)

Also confusingly the Sony is listed as passive 3d, and in other articles as active 3d.

If I was offered a repair by LG is that risky in itself? When I returned a Panasonic way back the tv I got back also had a slight fault, though one we could live with. I just suspect there's some "recycling" that goes on.

Dave

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom