lg55lm640t screen problems

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by beezer, Feb 26, 2013.

1. beezer

beezer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone , i seem to be one of a minority who has a problem with this set .....purchased on new years eve really happy with it until i watched my first bit of football on it .

There is a black vertical line one cm thick on the screen running from top to bottom about a quarter of the way across the screen ....its only really noticeable on a same colour background i.e. football or golf etc or on white but when you know its there you spent every second looking for it ! contacted Lg and was told to send some pics of the screen in , was then told it was a possible banding issue and to either take it back to Currys or have it send it back for repair ....Currys wont take it back as its over 21 days old and both say it will have to be repaired taking up to 21 days ?? i have written a shi..y email to both of them saying i want either a new telly or my money back ,but im not holding out much hope ! i will dig my heels in though and fight the issue .

Anyone else in the same situation ? or can offer any tech advice ? please

Not Happy !!!!!!!

2. SmartTVfor Me

SmartTVfor Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What Curry's are telling you is utter rubbish!

Go onto the internet, type in 'Trading Standards' and look up 'Consumer Rights'. When you buy goods in the UK they are covered by the Trades Description Act. The bit we are interested in is that the warranty given has to be honored not by the manufacturer but by the seller. They can send the goods away to the manufacturer for repair or they can replace if its either 'not fit for purpose' or 'beyond economic repair'.

Print off the relevant sections from the Trade Descriptions Act and then march down to Curry's and wave it under their noses, works every time for me!

3. beezer

beezer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the advice my friend......when i rung them last week i did have a feeling i was being slightly shafted !!!!and the bloke i spoke to was abrupt and rude . Still waiting for an email from them both .

I will take your advice and prepare my next call to Currys

Thanks again ,ill keep you posted on progress

Cheers Al

4. beezer

beezer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lg and Currys have both emailed me back .....no chance of a replacement ,only option is a repair , spoke to trading standards ....and they say there is nothing i can do unless i plan taking them to court .

Pi...d off but i fear im out of options now

5. oldfarmdog

oldfarmdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    im in the same boat mate, although your case is as stone wall as it gets.currys have no right to fob you off and under your statutory rights should of give you a full refund because this is less than 6 months old and you can assume the fault was there when they sold it to you. i bought an lg 50" plasma for £600 and it broke after 15 months with the repair cost at £327. i bought mine from best buys who are no longer trading and can't produce a receipt so am fighting lg for a free repair but i believe i will still have to issue a small claim against them. your best bet is to deal with currys, and let them deal with lg. anyway lg and currys are a match made in heaven, both of them don't care about the consumer, only their shareholders. so do yourself a favour and get down to john lewis for your next set. 5yr parts and labour no quibble gaurantee. they also price match, although their range isn't massive its no worries for 5 years and thats worth a lot

6. beezer

beezer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Lg rung me yesterday ,they are coming to pick my tele up on Monday and hope to have it back within 14 days max , Currys on the other hand were rude and blunt and i was even told by the guy i spoke to on the phone that if they took it for repair , they would not be liable for any damage caused in transit ??? ridiculous lack of customer care..... take your money then try to sell the extra insurance rubbish , then they dont want to know you !!!

Though it may be difficult , i will be avoiding Currys in future ,they have had their last penny from me .....

7. oldfarmdog

oldfarmdog
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thats good news for you. i can't see how avoiding currys will be a problem though. there are plenty of retailers out there, john lewis seeming the best, although the supermarket electrical depts are good at sorting out any after purchase problems, although there ranges are usually quite small and contain some own brand goods which i'm not to keen on.
    i had my own result yesterday. whilst explaining my problem to my boss he went online and printed off a best buy customer service number. i rang it and to my surprise someone from best buys answered (i couldn't beleive i had not even thought about finding them) i explained my situation and she fired up the system, and found my purchase in sept 2011 on their records. she emailed me the details which i forwarded to lg and it seems they no longer think i'm acting dishounorably and will pay 60% of the repair bill of £327.
    but after not having a tv for a couple of weeks and plenty of time to go on sites like this, i told them that this is no longer acceptable, as i believe the tv is "not fit for purpose" as a major fault like this should not be happening after only 15 months. and if this has gone what next, but more importantly, how much?
    there is also an issue with "cost and durability", 15 months life on a £600 tv is obviously not acceptable. i would think around 5 years would offer good value for money, but certainly not 15 months.
    i told them i want them to supply me with an equivalent tv. failing that i have asked for a full refund. if they won't go for this i said i would like a free repair. if they stick to their offer of 60% i will insist on them covering this tv, for free parts and labour gaurantee, for a couple of years. anyway i should here on monday so will let you know what happens. i still feel there is going to be another twist in this saga, but one thing is for certain i won't buy lg again...or use currys

8. beezer

beezer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Quick update .....Tele has been away for 16 days now , a new lcd?? was on order and the screen was burnt (knew i was right ) got a letter from lg today saying the tv was beyond economical repair and to contact Currys !!!!!!! to arrange a refund or replacement at the retailers discression Now i have looked on their website and my model is no longer there , its an upgrade at 300 quid more .....i would much rather get my money back and go elsewhere (any ideas ???) but if they give me the upgrade model i might bite the bullet and go for that

9. SmartTVfor Me

SmartTVfor Me

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I would take the cash and have a look on the internet over the Easter period at sales bargains and then see if John Lewis will price match. I'd go for either the 670T or the 760T models.

10. beezer

beezer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just rung Richer sounds in Maidstone explained my situation and was told they could do me the 760 with a 5 year warranty for under 1200 so if i push a little and get it for say 1100 that will be a result !! they also throw in the magic remote thing !! Also rung Currys and i am taking the broken unit back this week to get a full refund ....Much that my heart says i should stay clear of LG ....my wallet tells me otherwise unless anyone else has an idea of 55inch smart for that price ?? i cant find any !!

Cheers Al

11. beezer

beezer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    All done , went to Richer Sounds in Maidstone , they done me a 670t for £1175 so i got a bit off ......including a 5 year warranty !!!!!! Staff were very helpful and knew what they were talking about ... so i would advise anyone who is about to buy a new tv from Currys ..........to find their nearest Richer Sounds and get a price match, a 5 year warranty and some decent customer service .....and not waste 2 months phoning and e mailing people who dont really give a **** about you once you hand your cash over !!!