Question LG55C6V or wait?

Venrith

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I currently have a Samsung UE 46ES8000 and I am wondering if I should upgrade to the LG 55C6V while they are still in stock or wait for a few more years for an oled with a higher peak brightness at a cheaper price point.

Im interested to hear anyone's opinion on this set for the motion handling of F1 as I watch alot of that on my sky+ box and my other uses will be mostly movies and some tv shows.

Now for the main reason of thought behind upgrading now is the 3D.. I have watched some 3D content on my samsung, and yeah it has a wow factor with some movies (and have a few 3D movies in my collection) but I don't find myself watching it all that much as I get abit of eye strain and find myself regularly taking them off for a second to rest my eye's. So what's the 3D like with this set? I hear it's pretty good?

What is the HDR like on this set? Does it wow you or is it more meh, that's kinda cool

So yeah it's all about 3D or wait for higher HDR peak brightness and some other little upgrades

Cheers

Do you like to watch F1 with motion interpolation turned on with your current TV?

How much onus do you place on 3D vs HDR?

HDR is good, but not fantastic. An OLED is more suited for HDR content but its the lack of brightness that reduces that wow factor quite some.

Do you like to watch F1 with motion interpolation turned on with your current TV?

How much onus do you place on 3D vs HDR?

HDR is good, but not fantastic. An OLED is more suited for HDR content but its the lack of brightness that reduces that wow factor quite some.

My current tv I have all the motion enhancing features turned off. So it must be perfectly watchable although I do notice it can struggle at times.

To be honest I've not even seen much in the way of HDR (only a quick browse of what the tv's are playing at currys mostly) 3D really does add that wow factor but with these old active one's I don't forget the glasses are there when watching anything if you know what I mean. I don't know if passive are any better in that regard.

I know the Qleds would have more wow factor for HDR but everything else I hear is kinda a negative compared to oleds atm.

If only the kept doing 3D with the newer sets.. grr

if you love 3D BUY BUY BUY BUY. its not even a question.. its most probably not coming back so get whilst you can.

otherwise i'd wait and get a 65 incher OLED when they come down in price.

Then you will likely be fine with the C6 go view them in the store to make sure you are fine with motion. Motion will be the same on the newer ones out of the box if you can only find those.

Thanks, I will go have a look at it for sure. I was doing some thinking last night and was thinking about the 3D a little. It's very nice but if they have stopped putting it into the tv's then it's only a matter of time before the sale of 3D blu-rays slows to an almost stop as more and more people upgrade and lose 3D tv's. So is it worth me upgrading to 3D, building up a collection and in 5-10 years time when I upgrade again being left with alot of worthless 3d content that I cannot watch. So it might be worth concentrating on the HDR side of things and wait for the 2017 range to come down in price or even the 2018 range (depending on the tech). This would also allow me to save for a decent surround sound system too. This old sony one with built in dvd player is starting to show it's age :p

How is the HDR on the 2017 tv's? I'm assuming it has a little more wow than the 2016 due to the extra brightness?

Still, Worth me going into currys and having a little look.

Thanks, I will go have a look at it for sure. I was doing some thinking last night and was thinking about the 3D a little. It's very nice but if they have stopped putting it into the tv's then it's only a matter of time before the sale of 3D blu-rays slows to an almost stop as more and more people upgrade and lose 3D tv's. So is it worth me upgrading to 3D, building up a collection and in 5-10 years time when I upgrade again being left with alot of worthless 3d content that I cannot watch. So it might be worth concentrating on the HDR side of things and wait for the 2017 range to come down in price or even the 2018 range (depending on the tech). This would also allow me to save for a decent surround sound system too. This old sony one with built in dvd player is starting to show it's age :p

How is the HDR on the 2017 tv's? I'm assuming it has a little more wow than the 2016 due to the extra brightness?

Still, Worth me going into currys and having a little look.

Take a look at this page. It ranks sets by HDR peak brightness (filter for low availability to include the 2016 models). Be aware that for some models (Samsung) the US model numbers and UK ones differ - this site uses US numbers.

Generally looking at this there doesn't seem a huge difference between C7 (2017) and C6 (2016) in peak brightness. Both will deliver good HDR. Clearly the FALDs and Edge lit LEDs have the peak brightness advantage but that is counter-acted by their black levels....

I've just gone from a similar TV to yours (a Sony) to the C6...well I will when it is delivered on Sunday. I feel for under £1500 it is a lot of TV. And given it hits the UHD premium certification it means it is definitely up there right now.

Personal choice of course. I hope when mine comes I'll love it. I've fallen out with edge lit LEDs even though they have their advantages.

If you want a 55 inch set specific, LG OLEDs are unbeatable at the £1500 price range.

If you can fit a bigger screen into your room, then its a different story with FALD offering 65 inchers for £300 more or edgelit for less.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom