LG50PX4D 'red haze'

vancreef

Established Member
Reaction score
i have had mine for about 3 months now and i have noticed that every time i use any type of 'On Screen Display' for example, my NTL digital TV guide, teletext on freeview, or the main menu on a DVD,when i later go back to the TV picture there is a ghost image of the OSD left on my screen. it is in red and it comes and goes.It shows more on white backgrounds and sometimes it will vanish completely only to appear a few minutes later.The other night i watched a DVD and I have attached an image of what i saw the morning after. This image was intermittent all the day after. You can clearly see the DVD menu, but the DVD player wasn't even switched on and the film wasn't in it!. I have tried all of the different screen settings and the 'low power' setting but it just wont go away. Anyone any ideas?

Attachments

• Picture(30bb).JPG
    Picture(30bb).JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 284
It will go away after few seconds using ISM "White wash" I think.
Maybe you can adjust the transparency of the menus on your cable box and DVD?

just been on freeview and used teletext. when i turned the teletext off i could see the menu off the teletext saying shortcuts, back, etc etc in red at the bottom of the screen. basically what i'm wondering is, am i wasting my time sending it back just to get another one which will be the same or is it faulty. maybe this is what plasmas do?

You should send it back. I have seen this effect on my previous LG 42PX3RV-somethimes if I play long time with the menus -I get sort of ghost image, but after changing the channel-all was gone.
Anyway it was not so severe like yours-show them the picture with the red menu of your DVD-it should be fixed or exchanged.

showed them the picture and they said there might be a problem with my NTL box. i have a tel No i can ring and get it sorted. (not a hit-man or anything just LG support) lol.

Hi

If you've been on to NTL you'll probably know by now it isn't your cable. I've had the problem for a few weeks now. Worse in the morning so put it down to the set warming up or a weaker SKY signal that time of the day. But it's got progresively worse to the point where I only need have something on screen for seconds then it's ghosted in cruddy pixelated red whenever the broadcast image is light (sky shots are worst but white shirts, menues etc also show the problem). Anyway, I now have the effect on DVDs and the XBox 360 so it's on component and scart. It definately a fault with the set. We've been really careful not to have fixed images etc in the three months we've had it. Got the engineer arriving today so will let you know the outcome. At £2k it sure as hell aint been sent away for weeks!!!!!!

vancreef said:
maybe this is what plasmas do?

No, you have a fault! :(

Had the engineers report - can't be fixed apparently. They think it's to do with the PDP retaining charge (or something).

So, got the go-ahead to have a replacement set only to find out that they are discontinued and there is no more stock. Not to worry thought I, the new 50PY2R has much the same spec and looks better and the shop agreed to replace my 50PX4D with one. Now the really stupid part. We've discovered that although the PX4D is obsolete, it is unlikely that it's replacement will be available in the UK until next year and I refused to accept the lower spec LG 50" thats currently available.

My first experience of LG will definately be my last. Now I have to start the whole process of reading reviews AGAIN!

Dogeared said:
Had the engineers report - can't be fixed apparently. They think it's to do with the PDP retaining charge (or something).

So, got the go-ahead to have a replacement set only to find out that they are discontinued and there is no more stock. Not to worry thought I, the new 50PY2R has much the same spec and looks better and the shop agreed to replace my 50PX4D with one. Now the really stupid part. We've discovered that although the PX4D is obsolete, it is unlikely that it's replacement will be available in the UK until next year and I refused to accept the lower spec LG 50" thats currently available.

My first experience of LG will definately be my last. Now I have to start the whole process of reading reviews AGAIN!

Which is the lower spec'd version by the way the 1D version?

Yes, the 50PC1D is really the 50PX4D Lite. Lacks a few of the bits like X-Studio, swivel stand, cute front indicators etc but it's the same panel spec.

Still not got our swap sorted as we decided to wait a little while to see if the replacement LG was on it's way. No sign of it at all and the major retailers can't get an ETA. As the set has been reviewed and featured on LG's site for ages one can only assume it's been delayed due to technical issues.

So with that in mind we've now been offered Panasonic instead.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom