LG4912 Opinions please!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by mray, Nov 5, 2004.

1. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Hi.
    Does anyone have any opinions on this DVDR.
    I know it records +rw & -rw and I have read a review of the previous model which stated that it had good recording qualities even though there's no RGB-in. I also read somewhere on this forum that the 4hr mode records in full resolution, but I can't find the thread. Anyone know if this version has the same abilities as the 4810.
    Any help much appreciated.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    The previous generation of LGs had lip sync issues - I would wait to see if that has been fixed before considering this model. Your quite correct about the resolution though: the LG does NOT drop the resolution in any of it's modes (upto 4hrs) - a statement about the quality of the R&D at LG.

3. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks mate.
    I sent you an e-mail with a question or two, but you've basically answered them for me already. (I think)

4. nypdblue

nypdblue
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi mray,

This is one of my replies from a couple of weeks ago concerning the LG4912, I've had it now for over two months and it's impressing me all the time, the RGB input does not compromise the picture quality IMO. Cheers...

thank you very much for your useful info,when you say 1 RGB out obviously that would go into AV1 on my TV,would there be anyway i could get it to accept an RGB signal into its 2nd scart socket for Sky+ i.e. does it have RGB loop through
    thanks again
    paul

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nypdblue
    Hi Paul

Good afternoon. Yes I still have the machine and overall I'm pretty impressed having paid £220 as outlined in review posted Sept 04.

Yes it has two scarts, one RGB out only though, in my opinion the 1hr & 2hr recording modes are excellent. The 6hr recording is equivalent to LP video at best and I really wouldn't recommend it, the 4 hour mode is equivalent to a decent video at SP.

I have had a few problems with discs at the cheap end of market avoid mirror products, best ones by far being TDK & Maxell. The only problems with loss of recordings has been now and again on -RW discs when you delete a title and it somehow corrupts other recordings. This has happened several times and as far as I can make out is more of the reliability of -RW than the actual LG machine.

It's a quality looking machine with excellent remote control, the one annoying thing is the red LED in standby, the blue LED in actual play is not to annoying.

Anymore info required let me now.

Regards

Cliff

Quote:
    Originally Posted by vernall
    HI
    I AM INTERESTED IN AN LG4912 AND FROM BROWSING ON HERE I SEE THAT YOU HAVE ONE.

DO YOU STILL THINK THIS MACHINE IS GOOD??
    DOES IT HAVE RGB?
    EVERY WEBSITE I CAN FIND IT ON SAYS IT ONLY HAS 1 SCART SOCKET,BUT THE MANUAL ONLINE SAYS 2,HOW MANY DOES IT HAVE?
    WOULD YOU SAY THAT THE QUALITY WHEN YOU ARE RECORDING AT 6 HRS IS EQUAL TO VHS QUALITY??? AS I AM WANTING TO ARCHIVE VHS TAPES AND WILL NEED TO RECORD A 3HR TAPE IN LP ONTO A DISC FOR 6 HOURS??
    HAVE YOU HAD ANY PROBLEMS FINDING COMPATABLE DISCS TO USE OR WILL IT WRITE TO THE CHEAP NO NAME ONES WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM?
    I HOPE YOU DONT MIND ME ASKING YOU THESE QUESTIONS
    THANK YOU
    PAUL

5. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Thanks NYPDBLUE.
    I haven't been able to find out much about this machine, but what I have has been positive, apart from the lack of rgb-in. The quality of the 4hr rec mode is what interests me the most. Is it on a par with the lp mode of Pnasonic etc? The only other thing I wanted to know is if it has chase-play/timeslip sort of features. Thanks again.

6. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Can anyone (Rasczak?) tell me how the 4hr mode on this machine would compare to the 3hr fr-mode on the Panasonics please?

7. mray

mray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    Anyone?

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,282
    A 3hr FR recording on the Panasonic sourced from a RGB source would blow away a 2hr SP recording on the LG sourced from a S-Video source. I would go for the Panasonic if you can but if you need DVD-RW then consider Toshiba, Sony or Pioneer. If you see yourself doing alot of long recordings (i.e. 4hrs per disk) then the LG is worthy of consideration. But you'd be better off with a Panasonic or one of the others and using more disks IMHO. The LG is a budget DVD recorder and doesn't pretend to be anything else.