LG42LW550T Picture Quality Not Great :(

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by pcmaczone, Jan 11, 2012.

1. pcmaczone

pcmaczone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    A couple of days ago I sold our 12 month old Samsung LC40C750R and bought the LG. The reason was purely because the active shutter system employed on the Samsung for 3D was giving me headaches and as much as I liked everything else about the set it just had to go.

So here we are with the LG and my wife is now giving me some serious grief because the HD picture quality from Sky and Freeview HD is pretty bad. I hate to say it but she's right. It is miles behind the smooth clear picture produced by the Samsung.

So my question is, can the LG's picture be tweaked to get us back to the wonderful quality of the Samsung or is this just the way LG sets are? I really can't believe this is as good as it gets and by the way, it's not much better no matter what picture mode we choose.

It's almost like the picture is not being produced at the right resolution. I know Sky only transmits in 1080i but the difference between the Samsung and the LG is like night and day! Same for the freeview HD channels.

Anyone got any suggestions that may help us out?

Many thanks

Saul

2. Geoggy

Geoggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    probably best to ask in the thread, but i am happy with my picture and i came from a Panny plasma.

sky HD looks great on my set and i use the THX bright room settings virtually all the time

3. pcmaczone

pcmaczone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yeah was going to but there seems to be a debate going on in there at the moment around banding/clouding issues so thought I would start a new one.

The pic on this LG is definitely no where near as good as the Samsung and I need to get it sorted quickly or it will have to go back to Comet. I REALLY do not want to go back to an active shutter 3D system and as far as I know LG are the only ones doing passive at the moment ?

4. Jason Shouler

Jason Shouler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +162
    You could consider the Toshiba passives which tend to get great reviews.

BTW, have you made sure you're watching in Just Scan mode as this makes a big difference with HD.

5. pcmaczone

pcmaczone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Should have done my research. I was under the impression LG were the only ones producing passive 3D tv's. Not seen any Tosh passive displays in stores.

I'll check out the "just scan" mode and report back :)

6. General Waste

General Waste

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I found the normal out of the box sharpness needs to go from 50 up to 90 backlight 30 contrast 80 as a starting point - Do this in the movie mode - also turn up the C colour to 0 or +15 if it is already at 0. Try that and see. 50 sharpness is way too soft