LG27UK650-W monitor freesync and variable refresh rate option on Xbox One X

wardener007

Novice Member
Hi there,

So I am trying for the first time playing Xbox One X on LG27UK650-W monitor and trying to use freesync feature on monitor to compare the performance of gameplay with on tv. Does anyone knows what is the difference between Basic and Extended freesync feature does? And for which one I should go for? Secondly, the Xbox One X has now option 'Allow Variable Refresh rate', should I enable this on playing LG27UK650-W. I noticed the Xbox One X informs that variable refresh rate can be used for monitors that supports Radeon Freesync 2 technology, but LG27UK650-W has AMD Freesync. Much appreciate for any feedback.

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi there,

So I am trying for the first time playing Xbox One X on LG27UK650-W monitor and trying to use freesync feature on monitor to compare the performance of gameplay with on tv. Does anyone knows what is the difference between Basic and Extended freesync feature does? And for which one I should go for? Secondly, the Xbox One X has now option 'Allow Variable Refresh rate', should I enable this on playing LG27UK650-W. I noticed the Xbox One X informs that variable refresh rate can be used for monitors that supports Radeon Freesync 2 technology, but LG27UK650-W has AMD Freesync. Much appreciate for any feedback.
Extended is the correct option which supports a range of 40-60Hz, the basic is smaller than that, why they even bother including the option is a mystery.

VRR = Freesync, exact same thing it's just the name the HDMI group have given to the generic name of the tech known as "adaptive sync", AMD call theirs Freesync.

Freesync 2 is an evolution of adaptive sync to allow the use of HDR at the same time as using Freesync, the UK650 is not certified as Freesync 2.

Keep in mind with a range of 40-60Hz typically only 60fps games will benefit from VRR on Xbox were they dip below into 50's or 40's but keeping the action judder free.

There is a VRR section in the store if you filter by capabilities, 30fps games would have to have an unlock frame rate mode that can reach into the 40's to benefit from VRR, most don't though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Home AV, TV, Tech News & Reviews, Plus The Best of July 2020
Top Bottom