Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

LG14 / Iscan Ultra

Discussion in 'LG TVs Forum' started by KevinWood, May 13, 2003.

1. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anyone used the above combination? Now that the price for the Ultra has dropped, I'm interested to know if its a worthwhile investment to improve SKY/Xbox/PS2.

Also in terms of connectivity, can the Ultra connect direct to the LG's VGA port, as I am aware of issues when connecting other devices i.e. Dr Johns RGB to VGA box????

Look forward to some positive replies, as happy as I am currently with PQ (I know some of you don't think I should be, but I am!), I think I could be happier ;o)

2. Rob100

Rob100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
    VGA output from the Ultra is:

480p progressive scan video, 31.5kHz horizontal scan rate for NTSC input sources
    576p progressive scan video, 31.25kHz horizontal scan rate for PAL & SECAM input sources

What does the LG accept - check manual.

Rob.

3. KevinWood

KevinWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I thought whilst the Ultra was so low in price, with the possibility that the price may go back up once they sell out of the Silicon Image branded units, that I would take the chance and buy one.

Glad I did, as it certainly makes a noticeable improvement with Sky (which is what I was after!!).

Something weird about setting it up though, its a bit of story so please stick with it.......On initial setup, I removed the LG Tuner (both from RGB-PC slot and control slot!) and plugged the ultra into the now vacant RGB-PC slot. On feeding Sky via RGBtoComponent box (from Dr John) then into the Ultra I got no picture. So I fed an Interlaced DVD (NTSC format) into Ultra and got picture no bother!
    On changing the DVD output to PAL Interlaced, no picture. My reckoning was that due to the LG14 only allowing 480p through component and not PAL progressive (576p?), that the LG14 probably couldn't do PAL progressive at all (which the Ultra is obviously outputting) even through the D Slot VGA port.

Thinking I would have to return the Ultra (to Nexnix who gave me the option to return. for the cost of post and packaging both ways and a return to stock fee), I decided to try all connection options available to me.

After a couple of unsuccessful attempts I tried having the LG Tuner switched on, with only the control connection plugged in and the Ultra plugged into the RGB-PC port, it worked! PAL progressive was on looking a treat on both Sky and DVD.

After all my ramblings, I am right in saying that the LG 14 wasn't supposed to do PAL Prog, but in a roundabout way, does??? or were all my assumptions wrong and I have luckily stumbled on the proper setup someone in the know would have got straight away??

Anyway, I'm off to check out my other Region2 DVD's to see them looking nice and shiney with their PAL Prog dressing on ;o)