1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG14 - comments

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by funkyshaker, Jul 23, 2003.

1. funkyshaker

funkyshaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

Can anyone pass on any comments on the LG14 plasma? I know that there are bigger and better but at this moment in time it is the most I can afford. Any comments would be appreciated - just need to convince myself that I am doing the right thing :)

2. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Well my comment would be dont by the LG14. You can get the LG17 for the same sort of money and it is a much much better screen (Contrast ratio etc..)

But you can now get a 42" Hitachi Panel for the same sort of money as the LG17 last time I looked around so maybe give that a look as well.

3. General Panic

General Panic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Hi Funky
    I have the LG14 , got in January. At the time the LG17 was just appearing at a higher cost so i got the 14. As Harris says now a similar cost so the 17's a better deal unless you can pick up a 14 on sale or clearance somewhere.
    As it is i'm delighted with the picture and performance so far and as i've not seen the 17 working i can't coment on it's benefits.
    I looked originally at RPTV and went right off them but in hindsight now i maybe should also have checked out 36" CRT's.
    £3000 was a lot to spend on a screen and in all honesty i do sometimes wonder if it was worth that much but hey ho , i got it and am enjoying it.

4. funkyshaker

funkyshaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that Panic - as long as you're enjoying it, it must be worth it.

5. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AVOID IT!

- More to be posted after Friday (I ain't counting my chickens!!!).

6. funkyshaker

funkyshaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Avoid it?!?!

Why is that? Can you let me know more?

7. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the 17 and I am very pleased with it - run it from a good source though (everything goes into mine via VGA from an HTPC). I find picture quality to be superb, it is completely silent in operation and for my taste anyway is siperbly styled. Evn the wife (who was very anti all this technology cluttering up the front room) is now a big fan - Coronation Street (from Sky digital) looks the bees knees in her opinion!

8. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS, If you are tempted by the Hitachi, it might be worth reading the other threads on here about Hitachi screens "buzing" as I said my LG doesn't make a sound!

9. adesonic

adesonic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS, If you are tempted by the Hitachi, it might be worth reading the other threads on here about Hitachi screens "buzing" as I said my LG doesn't make a sound!

10. mikeblanche

mikeblanche

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Read the thread on problems in dark scenes on LG plasmas. I know this to affect the PZ17, not sure if it affects the 14.

The 17 is a better set than the 14 for a similar price.

It does need a mint source (sauce?) otherwise it shows up the flaws of the original picture. Composite-connected Freeview or (worse) analogue RF TV will make it look very crap. Component or VGA is the only way to go.

I have the 17 and am in general very happy for it. It is 95% of what I wanted, I wasn't willing to pay the extra grand for the remaining 5%.

mike

11. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    funkyshaker; please read my new post before you buy!!!

12. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you get on and write it then TP2K?

13. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why don't you get on and have a look then Easy2BCheesy? Perhaps before posting next time.

14. Easy2BCheesy

Easy2BCheesy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the LG17 and it rocks, not worth the extra money for the etra 5%.

Sky + via svideo is the lowest quaility i would send it, right about using a HCPC, with a nebula card, looks great.

Attached Files:

16. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    LG plasmas are terrible, avoid them like the plague.

17. funkyshaker

funkyshaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just had a good look at an LG14 and 17 for the past couple of hours and I couldn't hear a buzz, no flickering or any of the problems that you posted in your other thread. I have checked with the supplier and if I do get any problems with mine they will exchange it straight away.

18. Bada Bing

Bada Bing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Those types of problems are things you notice when you live with the plasma for a period of time. You may run into trouble if you don't see the problems within their agreed "swap period". I'll be honest with you mate, they're terrible.

I'd rather go for a Hitachi for Richer sounds or something, but never EVER buy an LG.

19. TP2K

TP2K
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I said in my post; if you're happy with what you have (if you own an LG already) or happy with what you see then good for you. I wasn't, and felt the need to do something about it.

At the end of the day if you have road tested the LG's for a few hours and what you see is what you like then go for it. My post is only meant to be offered as my experience.

You should note that I too demoed the LG's and decided it was for me. As Miles points out - it is over time that you notice the things that you will ultimately have to live with.

You may not notice the things your concerned about straight away (dead pixels, buzzing etc.). A dead pixel will show up when the image conditions are right, and that can be several weeks into ownership.

All plasma's buzz to an extent - some are so quiet though that they will appear not to. Your new plasma may be installed and you may be happy that it doesn't buzz. And then of course there will be that night when you're watching a movie - the conditions are again right - and you hear the damn buzz!

If you're like me, then from then on you'll hear that buzz every time you turn on the PDP!

How and where have you demoed these LG's anyway? And which retailer is it?

In my post you will note that I state the flickering issue is in a *darkend room* which is how I (and would assume many others) watch all movies. Many retailers will not show you a PDP in a darkend environment and so the flicker will not be evident. Again, a retailer may not have a DVD (or other source) which is particularaly relevant to the LG flicker issue. If you watch something which is a "daytime filmed" movie then you're not going to notice flicker. Chuck something like a horror or thriller (eg. The Others is perfect) which are darker movies by nature, and boy you'll soon see the flickering!!!

I think what you should make note of here is that LG have admitted that there *IS* a flicker issue - clearly some people can live with it and some can't. I couldn't. Food for thought though if LG have admitted the problem, no?

What I am saying is if you like the LG then buy it and enjoy it. But take mine (and Miles') advice as former owners and just make sure you're REALLY satisfied with the output of this panel before you part with your cash. £3K is a lot of money, and many retailers on the High Street will be loathe to give it you back one they have it!

The very best bit of advice I can give you is to go and find a retailer that has the LG and Hitachi side-by-side and preferably being fed the same source so you can make immediate comparison. I was lucky and found my local Richer Sounds had just that - and do you know what? - the instore image was as good as I'd ever got it, but the Hitachi made the LG look so bad I was genuinely shocked I ever bought the LG in the first place.

TP2K