LG WebOS 2.0 Smart TV System Review

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by Steve Withers, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,227
    2. max222

max222

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +116
      Steve
      I have to say I bought a LG TV recently (one which you actually reviewed back in 2014 at some point and liked) which had webos 1 and it so slow as to be awful - it's not just me - pretty much every review on Amazon says the same thing - For example it takes near 30 seconds after switching on to be able to use any of the menus - it tells you this on screen too (not the time to wait of course) so it's not a fault with my TV - i have nothing against the way it works it's just the speed - and whilst I bought the TV cheap - when it came out it was a £1400 55 inch TV - so unless webos 2 is much faster then I will never buy an LG TV again - my Samsung is just so much more responsive - I should say the picture is fine on the TV though - but not better than the Samsung.

3. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,227
      LG have made the startup speeds much faster for WebOS 2.0 and made it more responsive than last year. At least it works, so far this year Samsung's new platform has been a bit of a mess.

4. Bumtious

Bumtious
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,650
      Webos2 is much quicker on the newer 2015 sets as the processor is quicker.

Turning off the help menu also speeds it up.

Finally if you hold down the main menu button it bypasses the shortcut menu and takes you straight into the picture set up menus.

It's the best smart platform out there and much more responsive than samsungs Sonys or panasonics IMHO.

5. 1jim

1jim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +428
      Is it just me, I can't find the link in the first post?

Have lg released the tvs with webos built in now, have been waiting for this

6. 1jim

1jim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +428
      Nope, was just me. ..Was looking for a link in the text, have found the review tab
      cheers

7. Steve Withers

Steve Withers
      Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9,227
      I have added a link to the text as well.

8. peter batey

peter batey
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1
      I agree with max222 ! I have an oled 930 and the operating system spoils a really good television and makes it less than average and the three spinning dots ........... just make things worse.

9. 1jim

1jim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +428
      Had anyone seen a webos tv yet?

10. Bumtious

Bumtious
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,650
      Yes the LG oled and LCD threads are full of them.

Having used all of the smart platforms extensively this week web OS easily the most stable and intuitive and fun to use.

11. 1jim

1jim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +428
      Sorry meant webos 2, this samsung auto correct and predictive swipe drives me mad!

12. Bumtious

Bumtious
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +7,650
      Lol. Yes again check the oled threads and LCD threads. I have a 960 oled and web OS 2 is excellent.

13. 1jim

1jim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +428
      Brill, I was getting confused as a lot refer to webos so I was assuming this was 1.

14. BARRYY

BARRYY
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      What is web OS 2 like if wanten to browse the web through internet line connection

15. Superflyguy_uk

Superflyguy_uk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      The web browser works well and fairly quick to load pages, there is no flash support though, html 5 pages work but the browser restarted to free up memory for some loaded pages.
      I'm currently writing this with the WebOS browser and a Logitech K400r wireless keyboard, which can also be used to flick through the WebOS system.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2015
    16. BARRYY

BARRYY
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      Thankyou buddy your reply. it sounds like WebOS is going well. i get my 55uf950v delivererd thursday an just trien find as much info i can. if no flash support what will that mean as am new to all this smart tv WebOS. Thats a good idea you have to use wireless keyboard. are you goin through wifi or line conection as i hope about 20mbps average what am getting through my line conection be enough for internet on tv as all am wanten do browse around on internet an may at times bit of online shop if this WebOS will let me.?

17. Superflyguy_uk

Superflyguy_uk

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +33
      Just treat the browser as you would on a pc, Adobe Flash has been phased out on mobile devices to be replaced by Html 5 which is a better format.
      If you are using the browser I'd advise you to turn down the backlight and brightness to a suitable visual level.

18. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +645
      Just thought I'd add my tuppence to this thread:

As a background, I have a non-smart Pioneer Kuro downstairs with a very good logical menu system, along with other Samsung TV (good menu, non-smart TV) and an LG 32" (non-smart) which also has a good menu system.

This is the first smart TV I have bought, and my LG 49" with WebOS 2.0 is AWFUL.
      Firstly it's slow as molasses, taking over 12seconds to show the TV guide from button press.

Along with the general lack of speed (which is difficult to come to terms with in the current age of fast snappy processors), the menu layout and navigation is plain stupid - probably the worst I have ever come across.

Take the Picture settings. Press the settings cog at the top of the remote. This takes you to a set of icons. You have to navigate all the way down to the bottom grey icon (further multiple button presses) to get into what is the "traditional" menu that should've been the FIRST menu to appear.
      Not only that, but some settings are displayed inconsistently, with some options working within the same menu (loading a sub menu on page) to others completely removing the menu screen, going back to the TV picture and showing you a small scrollable check box menu at the top of the screen, to doing the same but this time with the menu at the bottom of the screen. Completely different responses even within the same main menu system.

Genuinely appears to have been coded by a small child...

Going back to TV Guide, when launched you're at the top of the screen, in a filter button NOT on the TV channel you're currently on....so that's extra presses needed again in order to do what most other TV's do by default.
      Once scrolling through the channels, lets say you change your mind and wish to exit back to what you're watching.....oh no, can't do that I'm afraid. No, either you have to spend time navigating back to the channel you're currently on and pressing the yellow key (?eh, where's the consistency there?) OR....
      ...you press return, but instead of returning you to the channel you were watching, it instead pops up the bottom "dock bar" (or whatever it's called). I didn't ask for the dock bar, I asked to RETURN back to my TV program!!! You then have to scroll to the left and click to go back to what you were watching. Not only that but it doesn't simply remove the guide back to the TV, No, it instead RELOADS the TV to the channel meaning you get a couple of seconds of black screen/no sound before the channel appears.

Now you may be thinking a couple of seconds here or there shouldn't be an issue, but a couple of seconds coupled with illogical, non-consistent actions on screen for EVERY BUTTON PRESS is bloody annoying - especially when you're used to instant actions on other TV's around the house. Together, they add up to a VERY slow overall experience that (imho) is very shoddy in it's implementation.

My score 2/10 - it get's 2 because at least it looks pretty.
      (If there is a way to "go back" to a "standard" menu system like the other LG has, I'd do it, but it looks like I'm stuck with WebOS 2.0 unfortunately....:()

19. 1jim

1jim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +428
      How does everyone else find webos 2? reviews seem pretty good and I will be in the market for a new tv soon so was planning on going down the lg route, is the lag generally this bad and is the menu system really that counter intuitive? Everything i have read so far seemed to suggest the opposite so would be really handy to see what everyone riser thinks

20. BARRYY

BARRYY
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      i was in the same thought as you 6 weeks ago as to either go for LG or a tv that would be more responsive. so many reviews looked good but the lag Problem kept on being repeated by so many even with webos 2 aswell as other Glitches and also i did read to be fare a few good reviews. my gut feeling was not to go with LG and decided change my mind to go with
      Samsung Tizen Platform and looks like made right decision as more and more negative comments lately for LG but that may be depending what tv model and would be wise you look for reviews on LG model with higher Percentage rating an more Positive but again newest LG models have webos 2. My choice and decision was to go with the Samsung ue55js8500 as after reading so many good reviews from so many websites for this Samsung and i can say upto now this Samsung model has excellent picture quality and is fast with very minium lag and certainly when select any tv chanel. also Priced now at around same as some of the higher end spec LG . Goodluck with whatever choice tv you decide.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
    21. 1jim

1jim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +428
      I was worried about the Samsung as understood that they may have rushed out tizen and there were lots of apps missing, are they back now?
      Really looking for amazon, netflix, now tv, bbc iplayer, itv 4 and 5 catch ups if possible, you tube as well if I can, don't think lg have them all either but when I started looking around samsung had seemed to have a lot of "coming soon" apps....and as a youview watcher I'm sceptical of the definition of soon

22. BARRYY

BARRYY
      Novice Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +0
      For what i can actually see there is nothink to concerning or worried to be about Samsung or "coming soon" apps....... as most of the Apps you mention i already have are BBC iPlayer, itv Player, Amazon, All 4, Netflix and You tube, and even a Skype app . with Also quite a few more other Apps have already got aswell. 5 Demand will i understand be not that far away and considering have only had this
      Samsung tv about 6 weeks am not really in any hurry for 5 demand catch up channel but yes that to will be good. my Samsung tv with tizen Platform up to now have had no Problems and HOPEFULLY will

not have any. Picture quality has been excellent with also the
      tv being so responsive and the difference from

7000 series Samsung tv i had Previously owned. Obviously you have seen the Post and comment above from Gaffer as for what his opinion and Description says for LG tv.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2015
    23. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +645
      Thought another update was warranted seeing I seem to be seeing some improvement in the operation of the TV.

Maybe they read this forum ;):D but I've had a few OS updates and they seem to have unified the menu responses so the above no longer holds true.
      Now, all sub menus remove the menu screen and show you a smaller either slider or radiobox at the bottom of the screen --> Much improved imho because now at least it's more consistent.

Now this all seems to be improved by using a Magic Remote. Yes, that's right, idiot LG decided in their stinginess NOT to include a magic remote with every large TV they sell. I'm pretty sure the 4K LGs have them but my 2015 non-4K 49" LED backlit one didn't :facepalm:.

So I went and bought an AN-MR600 (for 2015 LG TVs) for £22 online. Lo and behold, the fact that you now have a pointer renders most issues regarding multiple button presses obselete (e.g. instead of 6 downward button presses from the "cog menu" to get to "advanced menu", you now just point to it).
      Also to exit the TV Guide now, you just point to the PiP at the top to return to the programme you were watching rather than going through the rigmarole of bringing up the lower dock menu.
      What's even more confusing is that pressing "return" on the magic remote does in fact now return you to the TV programme (but it didn't on the normal remote - go figure).

Not only that, but the scroll wheel makes even most pointing obselete and makes navigation MUCH less onerous using a Magic Remote.

So it appears that WebOS 2.0 is designed for the magic remote. My previous score for a "normal remote" that your LG TV might be provided with still stands:

WebOS 2.0 with normal remote 2/10 - Atrocious
      WebOS 2.0 with magic remote 6/10 - Much better but still issues....

....with those issues being the still slow as molasses response time for the OS to bloody well respond to a button press.
      STILL takes 12s to launch TV Guide.
      Even takes 6s after initially switching on before the TV will even acknowledge ANY button press (it's completely immune to any inputs during this time).

If they could fix the terrible response times, WebOS 2.0 would score higher, but until then it only gets 2/10 or 6/10 depending on the remote you're using.