LG vs Sony OLED for films & TV

leeuk321

Hey everyone, I was just wondering if anyone had any experiences with both LG and Sony OLED TVs, or have extensively tested them both? I recently purchased the LG 48" CX OLED, which is generally amazing, but for some reason some content just looks mildly soap-opera-effect.

I’ve tried various canned picture settings, and also gone through them individually myself, making sure tru-motion is turned off, etc. It’s not prevalent in everything all the time, far from it. Some programmes it’s there throughout, and for other stuff it’s just certain scenes where all of a sudden it just looks like actors stood on a set.

I can’t figure out what’s causing it, but I know it doesn’t look right, and it’s not the case of my eyes purely needing to adjust. I’ve heard that "Sony is better than LG for TV and films", with better colour and motion, but I’ve found no-one (at all) that can elaborate on it. It’s almost like the emperor’s new clothes, where everyone is saying it so that they don’t foolish, because everyone is saying it. Obviously, I’m not saying that is the case, but I haven’t found any person or review site that fully elaborates on it.

An example is The Last Kingdom on netflix, which looked fine on my JVC projector and plasma. It just looks completely wrong on the LG CX. I’m wondering if it’s something fundamental to the LG’s processing, or if I’d encounter the exact same thing the Sony. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

steviedr

Distinguished Member
Assuming you have been into settings - picture - picture mode settings - picture options and checked the true motion settings?
Better off or set with a user setting

leeuk321

Assuming you have been into settings - picture - picture mode settings - picture options and checked the true motion settings?
Better off or set with a user setting
Thanks for your reply, and yes, I’ve turned true motion off. I’ve done canned settings and changed so many settings myself individually that I think if it was a duff setting I should have almost caught it by accident at this point. And with the same settings, other stuff can look completely fine, be it all the time or some of the time.

It’s just as if the TV’s processing or handshaking with the material underpins all other settings to a degree, meaning that some material is all-out displayed wrong, or it’s just certain scenes where the processing just isn’t right.

I’ve heard that it’s “Netflix enhanced”, but titles that I’ve had an issue with on Netflix I’ve had both through the TV’s native app and also on Netflix on an external media device. I’m assuming that the enhancement would only be if it’s through the native app, so I’d assume it’d rule that out?

I’ve heard other users mirror the exact same thing as what I’m saying in various reviews and comments, but I’ve not found any specific discussion or review that’s elaborated on it.

the mozza

I have a friend who works at Sony and they only Compare their tvs to Panasonic. They don't see LG as a rival when it comes to quality

JustTheFacts

They all use the same LG supplied OLED panels. The only difference is the software. The software on all these TVs is top notch. The quality of SONY TVs is better than LG or Panasonic although LG and Panasonic quality isn’t far off from Sony.

Last edited:

5to1

If you read the AVforums reviews differences are very marginal now.

All have accurate presets. All have decent motion processing. And all will produce a great viewing experience.

Sound and aesthetics are the main differentiators. And HDMI 2.1 if you’re a gamer.

It’s only if you find you have a particular aversion to motion handling I’d consider the Sony. As their interpolation/etc is reportedly the best. But personally I leave those options off anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q800A Soundbar & Rotel Michi X3 Reviews + TV show and Movie News & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom