LG vs. Samsung vs. Panny AX802

fraggle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
John Lewis in Milton Keynes has these three in.

The Samsung OLED and Panny LCD are in an almost perfect arrangement to view them side by side (the Panny is about 5' further back than the Sammy).

Samsung had their promo HD video running. Panasonic had their 4K promo running. LG had SD TV on it inititally, and then the LG HD promo.

Samsung : Absolutely gob smackingly good, as it has been every time i've been in there. I did wait until scenes with blues came on, and no problems whatsoever. I did not see the Samsung with an SD image sadly.

Panny : It's great for an LCD. Contrast is great, colours great, but next to the Samsung it just could not match the brightness and "pop" of the Samsung. Plus at more than 20 degrees either side of dead on you could tell the image was worsening, becoming flatter, so not a great viewing angle.

LG : The SD image looked absolutely *terrible*. Imagine the cheapest, worst plasma you can, and you've got it. Every single LCD TV around it looked better. I grabbed the remote and started adjusting the settings back to "normal" but didn't get far before a sales assistant came up. He switched it back to the LG HD promo which still looked terrible, just a crisp, HD terrible. It looked like sharpening was turned up to 11, image processing ditto.

I have seen the LG look really nice with the LG promo, but seeing how bad the SD footage was has me really concerned. Definitely one thing I'll pay very careful attention too when I come to replace my aging Panny 720p plasma.

One other brand that stood out was Sony. A few of their LCD TVs looked as good as the new Panasonic AX802, contrast, colour, clarity. Comparing them did get me wondering what all the fuss was about.

Get a Samsung oled then :smashin: but remember there no spare parts for that tv so if it goes its ... Game over :)

Any idea what the model numbers of the TVs were? Thanks. :)
Which ones?

Panasonic : AX802
Samsung : 55" curved OLED, the first one.
LG : 55" OLED, the first one.

If it's the Sonys, I think one was KD-65X9005, 65" 4K LCD with speakers very obvious left and right. The other Sony, sorry, I didn't take a note of the number but will try to remember next time I'm in there.

Get a Samsung oled then :smashin: but remember there no spare parts for that tv so if it goes its ... Game over :)

Got a source for that info? No manufacturer produces anything without carrying spares for a few years. If they did, no one would buy anything from them at all as they couldn't guarantee them at all!

Something else I read today, from here
Samsung has stopped producing OLED TVs?
has an update dated 16.04.2014 from Samsung saying they aren't stopping work on OLED TVs.

Post on this oled forum on Samsung not supplying spare parts.

@fraggle.
Thanks. I am interested in the LG OLED TV. I have not seen it displaying SD content so I will keep your observations in mind.
As vakmestern said, if you Search the OLED Forum you should come up with comments about the availablity of Samsung OLED screen spares.

Cheers guys, will have a search.

@fraggle.
Thanks. I am interested in the LG OLED TV. I have not seen it displaying SD content so I will keep your observations in mind.
As vakmestern said, if you Search the OLED Forum you should come up with comments about the availablity of Samsung OLED screen spares.

The LG EA980 actually displays SD material very well. DVDs in particular look the best that I have ever seen them. Any poor SD PQ in store will almost certainly be source related or poor use of the TV's own settings frankly.

The LG EA980 actually displays SD material very well. DVDs in particular look the best that I have ever seen them. Any poor SD PQ in store will almost certainly be source related or poor use of the TV's own settings frankly.
I suspected this hence grabbed the remote to adjust things, but was accosted by a sales person before I could do much!

I went to see them both when they first came out and the LG looked a lot better than it did yesterday.

I'll start looking seriously when the Panny AX900 and the LG 65" 4K OLED come out, those are the two I'm really interested in.

Yup, definitely a setup issue IMO. The LG OLED does an incredible job with SD content.

I guarantee it that the 4k LED/OLED sets will be worse than 1080p sets with SD.

Jump in now! :)

Seriously, if SD is the only problem, I could care less. Only a few news channels in my channel list are still SD.

Given the fact that many of the greatest TV shows every made were in SD, I would say I definitely want to see SD as well as HD. A good TV should be able to handle everything.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom