LG Vs Hisense 50" TV?

Ect76

Novice Member
Reaction score
First off, forgive me if I'm a noob at this - I've had my current LG 42LB5500 for about 8 years now and I'm just looking to upgrade.

I went to Curry's tonight with the intention of buying a new TV. I had done a ton of research and settled on the LG 50UP78006LB. IVA had a ton of LGs and had no issues, and I really like the magic remote of the newer models.

I asked the salesman to buy the LG and he essentially said no - Don't buy that one, it's terrible. All LGs newer panels are rubbish except the OLEDs, so they're all really dim and if you're watching a dark scene in a film you won't be able to see what's going on. He then directed me towards a Hisense model 50A7GQTUK saying it has much better brightness and is a much better TV for slightly less money.

Is there truth to any of this? The LG looked fine to me screen-wise in the shop - Maybe fractionally dimmer than some others but I doubt it would be a major issue.

I did wonder if maybe Curry's are on a commission from Hisense to sell more units as I heard him saying basically the same thing to another customer right before me.

Alternatively, can someone give me some guidance? I don't need anything too fancy, but a good, solid 4K TV that'll last a while somewhere around the £500 mark. I'd prefer to go no bigger than 50in as I think anything else would look stupid in my living room!

Cheers,
Ewan

What they describe is pretty correct, although that Hisense still can't get very bright. Really I'd consider spending more money this day and age, that is if you want to use the TV to display HDR material.

HDR requires TVs to get a lot brighter, and it doesn't look pretty on TVs in this price segment. Really a 48" OLED, or an LCD TV like the Sony 49XH9505 (2020 model) or Samsung 50QN90A (2021) would be an improvement. More ideally look at larger TVs 55" and up, as even the same models at larger sizes get brighter. The Hisense 55U8Q is a good option if running with a lower budget.

There's no value in cheaper, smaller TVs. And manufacturers are really focusing on 55" and 65" models now, so that's where the value for money is nowadays. Also beware of the timing, TVs like the ones you mention and most in shops now are 2021 models are overpriced. With sales around the corner it would be foolish to buy presently.

EDIT* crossed out the first bit since you were comparing 50" and 50". LG TVs usually use IPS panels, so what they said holds true but not at this size where its likely the Hisense is using the same panel as the LG. Nonetheless, neither TV, or any TV this cheap is really worth buying in my opinion.

Last edited:
What they describe is pretty correct, although that Hisense still can't get very bright. Really I'd consider spending more money this day and age, that is if you want to use the TV to display HDR material.

HDR requires TVs to get a lot brighter, and it doesn't look pretty on TVs in this price segment. Really a 48" OLED, or an LCD TV like the Sony 49XH9505 (2020 model) or Samsung 50QN90A (2021) would be an improvement. More ideally look at larger TVs 55" and up, as even the same models at larger sizes get brighter. The Hisense 55U8Q is a good option if running with a lower budget.

There's no value in cheaper, smaller TVs. And manufacturers are really focusing on 55" and 65" models now, so that's where the value for money is nowadays. Also beware of the timing, TVs like the ones you mention and most in shops now are 2021 models are overpriced. With sales around the corner it would be foolish to buy presently.

EDIT* crossed out the first bit since you were comparing 50" and 50". LG TVs usually use IPS panels, so what they said holds true but not at this size where its likely the Hisense is using the same panel as the LG. Nonetheless, neither TV, or any TV this cheap is really worth buying in my opinion.

Thank you for taking the time to reply! It sounds like at a price point I can afford right now it's just not worth upgrading - I'll probably just stick with my old TV until I can save up some more!

Cheers,
Ewan

I'd love to jump on this thread in the interest of my sister who wants to buy her first TV having survived on my hand-me-downs until now! She currently has my old Pioneer Kuro 37" LCD and would like a 50-55" TV to use for SDR based content in a room that can be bright in the daytime and relatively dark in the evening so would need good levels of brightness and black levels. I'm minded to recommend either a Hisense, LG or Philips model to pick up if there are any good deals around £600 and less in Black Friday sales.

From looking at @Dodgexander buying guide threads it appears that the following models might be worth keeping an eye on:
  • Hisense U7Q
  • LG Nano
  • Philips 8106/79xx
I'm a big fan of the LG Magic Remote and the LG OS, which I really think adds to the user experience. I am also happy using the android OS on my Sony. I have no experience with the Hisense operating system or remote.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited:
I'd love to jump on this thread in the interest of my sister who wants to buy her first TV having survived on my hand-me-downs until now! She currently has my old Pioneer Kuro 37" LCD and would like a 50-55" TV to use for SDR based content in a room that can be bright in the daytime and relatively dark in the evening so would need good levels of brightness and black levels. I'm minded to recommend either a Hisense, LG or Philips model to pick up if there are any good deals around £600 and less in Black Friday sales.

From looking at @Dodgexander buying guide threads it appears that the following models might be worth keeping an eye on:
  • Hisense U7Q
  • LG Nano
  • Philips 8106/79xx
I'm a big fan of the LG Magic Remote and the LG OS, which I really think adds to the user experience. I am also happy using the android OS on my Sony. I have no experience with the Hisense operating system or remote.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
If you need bright the Hisense is by far the brightest out of those 3. Its always hard when people say bright though, because sometimes what they may think is bright isn't actually that bright at all and even a TV running 300 nits will be enough.

Given you'll want to run an external smart device to avoid HDR content anyway, there's not really any use going for the LG for its built in smart TV.

Thank you @Dodgexander I have seen detail of the Hisense, which comes out well in objective testing. I think the Philips TVs I mentioned are VA panels; I don't think anyone has objectively tested these? Do you think that they might approach the Hisense overall? I found the Philips 2021 lineup details in the link below.

For clarity, I think my sister has decided on 50" as being appropriate.

Last edited:
The U7Q is a bit of an anomaly to be honest. Its rare that cheaper TVs have a FALD system and can get as bright. They usually top out at about 500nits, and don't have any FALD tech at all. Having said that, a FALD system and getting brighter is really most useful for HDR..not necessarily anything else. If you need the TV to be bright, on a tight budget you won't beat the U7Q.

Just thought I'd update this - As my price point was pretty fixed, I ended picking up a used (but perfect) LG OLED55B6V. Really nice picture, good sound and I'm loving that OLED picture quality.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom