LG version of Samsung invisible cable?

SG12345

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys and girls, are there any plans for LG to bring out something like this? Does anyone know why they haven’t yet?

Can’t think of any other ways I can make my cable situation look better.

Thanks

Hi guys and girls, are there any plans for LG to bring out something like this? Does anyone know why they haven’t yet?

Can’t think of any other ways I can make my cable situation look better.

Thanks
No other manufacturer has hinted that they will copy Samsung. The only exception is LG’s Wallpaper series, where the flat cable is there more for design than function.

It’s a clever idea in theory, but in reality the fact that it’s a proprietary connector means that it’s not practical.

If the TV is on a stand, it’s cool but not really useful for most. If it’s on the wall, you either don’t bury the cable in the wall, as it’s just one cable, or you need to bury it. If you’ve already buried cables in the wall, you somehow need to feed the OCB cable up there, and because the cables are behind the TV already (HDMI, Ethernet, aerial etc) somehow you need to find a place for the box to sit.... and it’s pretty damn big and heavy. That said, if you’re happy to bury the OCB cable in the wall, when you come to change the TV, you either lock yourself into buying another Samsung, or potentially are screwed if they change the connector (which they have done twice already).

What’s more likely to come in the near future is wireless connectivity between your boxes and the TV’s. The tech that Sky use in the Q Mini boxes suggests that wireless transfer from a host box in the house is doable now, and will only improve with time. Wisa is already breaking through for sound systems, Netflix and Amazon are only becoming more popular, streaming will likely be all we have in a decades time.

The only thing I’m not sure on is the high data transfer from consoles etc, such that is supported. Wireless will get there one day, the recent jump in Wi-Fi standards has seen a near 10x increase in theoretical speed (Wi-Fi 5 at 900Mbps, Wi-Fi 6 at 10Gbps).

To answer your question more directly, I highly, doubt anyone but Samsung will bring out anything like the OCB box and cable idea. Pretty, yes, but I’m not sure it’s the most practical.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom