• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

LG v Sony oled image processing @ CES

gbjbaanb

I read something surprising today - the CES TV shootout (in America so no Panasonic or Philips) compared an LG E7 against a Sony A1, and when it came to displaying relatively poor quality images from streaming, the E7 won.

Streaming performance relies on image-processing technologies like noise reduction that are typically not used on pristine source material. Here, the the LG E7 OLED won again, beating out the Sony A1E

Now I thought the LGs were relatively poor at handling blockiness and artifacts, and the Sony was much much better at handling them. Am I wrong, or is the difference not really worth the noise on the forums?

Best of CES: Sony CLEDIS Micro-LED Display at CES 2017 - AVSForum.com

Anyway, looking forward to the results from the UK shootout later this month.

desinho

This year's shootout was a joke: "The Annual TV Shootout at CE Week 2017 is an an annual event that has grown and evolved over the years. Unlike years past, where a “King of TVs” was crowned by an audience vote, 2017 brought changes to the scoring. This year, a panel of judges who work in the AV or film industry voted in three categories: Studio Lighting/Home Theater, HDR, and Streaming Performance"

I think there were four 'expert' judges all of the age they should be enjoying the sun in Florida. I don't believe anyone of the public would have given the Streaming Performance to the LG from what I read (nor the first category). Haven't watched the podcast video related to it to hear their explanations ...
I also read the settings on the A1 were different on day 2, the day of the vote, compared to day 1 o_O.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom