LG UP970 UHD - are they all bad?

Kotatsu Neko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a free LG UP970 UHD spinner with my 65B7 recently, but I returned it as it made a crazy amount of noise when playing 4K discs. By noise I mean buzzing from the drive mechanism, with the loudest points being the start and the end of a movie. The buzzing was so loud it overpowered the dialogue quite comprehensively, and I have a decent speaker set-up.

I got a replacement player back today and it has the same issue. So my question is, are all of these players basically junk? The build quality is certainly poor, resembling a bargain bin £50 DVD player from Asda, but still, the noise this thing makes is unlike any disc player I've ever used. I'm amazed that LG could release something which is so obviously broken.

Weirdly it's much, much quieter when playing regular blu-rays.

Not sure what to do now, other then obvious - eBay and buying a completely different brand of player.

I got a free LG UP970 UHD spinner with my 65B7 recently, but I returned it as it made a crazy amount of noise when playing 4K discs. By noise I mean buzzing from the drive mechanism, with the loudest points being the start and the end of a movie. The buzzing was so loud it overpowered the dialogue quite comprehensively, and I have a decent speaker set-up.

I got a replacement player back today and it has the same issue. So my question is, are all of these players basically junk? The build quality is certainly poor, resembling a bargain bin £50 DVD player from Asda, but still, the noise this thing makes is unlike any disc player I've ever used. I'm amazed that LG could release something which is so obviously broken.

Weirdly it's much, much quieter when playing regular blu-rays.

Not sure what to do now, other then obvious - eBay and buying a completely different brand of player.
Mine was free too with a C7.
I've only played two discs though, both 1080p, so I guess I've got the noise to look forward to.
On the general point, it's cheaply built, UI that is exactly the same as a £45 lg from Sainsbury's three years ago, useless streaming capabilities.
The first one had a disc drawer that wouldn't stay shut. The second one works so far, but I would be very upset if I had spent money for it. The only good point is that Currys swapped the first one instantly. In short it's crap!
I'm not bothered as it will get used once or twice a year, but if you want to use it regularly I would eBay it if I were you.

I've just been speaking to LG about this and surprisingly they said the players have a manufacturing error which causes the loud buzz when playing 4K discs. They're going to organise a repair, which involves fitting some insulation.

Hmmm! At least they acknowledged an issue which makes a nice change from "not heard of that before":D
Nothing to lose by letting them try I suppose.

LG support guy who I talked to had never heard of the issue when I spoke to him, but that doesn't mean much. Will let you know when mine comes back after 'repair' if it is any better...

Just returned my second UP970 today. The second one managed to last a month before the buzzing started on disks it played successfully previously. Completely unacceptable for a product that is aimed at early adopters who expect high quality. I've decided to give up on LG and buy another brand.

I just ordered one! [emoji34]

Is this the dedicated thread for this player? I have a few questions about it since I've already ordered me one

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom