LG up970 4k blu ray player

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by 4kFarmer, Aug 26, 2018.

1. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys
    I have the above 4k blu ray player and it freezes at pretty much the same spot when playing certain 4k UHD Discs (Both Pacific Rims & Ready Player One)
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    I've contacted LG and they haven't been any help.

2. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    I had a UP970 and it froze at change to 3rd layer for all BD100 discs I played on it. I returned it for a refund within 14 days of having it.

BD100 discs play from center (inside) of disc to outside /layer change to 2nd layer/ then read outside to inside /layer change to 3rd layer/ then inside to outside.

Only Ready Player One is listed as a BD100 (triple layer). Just physically checked my UK Uprising disc and it's a BD100 as is my Australian Pacific Rim disc. So this is probably your problem.

Can you hear the drive retrying before it freezes? Also if you eject disc, give it a clean and play it again does it freeze at the exact same time code again? That was what my UP970 would do. Drives spin fastest (most noise) when they are reading from near the inside. I could hear from the increase in drive noise it was coming up to layer change to the 3rd layer.

I'm guessing that the UP970 (or at least some of them) have a problem refocusing the laser to the 3rd layer. Some Oppo 203s seem to have the same problem as people note them freezing in the same way with BD100 discs.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  3. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah you can hear the drive retrying. Gets quite loud too.
    The only way to get round it is to start the disc just after the freeze point, which is a pain in the arse.
    I think the Pacific Rims are triple layer (will check to confirm though)
    What player did you buy in the end? As I am going to change it as it is getting very annoying.
    I was looking at the Sony ubp x700 or Samsung ubd-m9500
    Thanks for replying my friend!

4. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    I've just edited my post and my Pacific Rims are definitely BD100s.

I got a X700 which has so far never had a playback problem. The first UHD player I had was a Samsung 8500 which got returned due to playback issues and put me off Samsung players.
    I've also got a Panasonic UB700 which has played every disc thrown at it in two years without issues. The Panasonic UB820 during the time I had it also played everything OK. So I'd recommend either a X700 or a Panasonic player as they have, for me, been playback problem free.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  5. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's great. That is for clearing that up fella.
    The only reason I was gonna go for a Samsung player was cos I have a Samsung TV but every review I have seen say that the Sony x700 is a great machine and it's cheap too.
    Probably go for the Sony.
    Thanks again fella! Much obliged!

6. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    One work around I found to get round the freezing issue is to pause playback for around 5 seconds after the disk has been playing for more than an hour. Then it will read layer 3 without any problem.

I managed to get a refund from Currys after I'd had the player for a few months and decided to give the UBK90 a punt which, although is basically the same player, doesn't freeze on layer 3 that often and is quieter.

I thought of an X700 but having to manually select DV to play a DV disk didn't really appeal to me.

7. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    Small point, but you don't have to manually select DV to play DV disc every time.
    You can just set DV=ON and leave it like that, whereupon every UHD and blu-ray disc plays as DV.

8. Daniel M

Daniel M
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello
    The same problem happens to me.
    I have the LG ubk90 player and the Ready Player One in 4K movie also has freezes on the screen at the same point in the movie.
    With the movie The Prestige in 4K also happens this.
    Would not this be solved with a firmware update?
    I'm definitely picky about it and I'm already getting desperate.

9. mjbtin

mjbtin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Not ideal if you have sdr and hdr pic modes calibrated but not dv pic mode calibrated.

Martin

10. simon194

simon194

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223
    Which is my point. The guy that calibrated my TV didn't have the gear to calibrate DV so DV is just set to best guess settings.

11. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Tried the 5 second pause on the hour on the discs that freeze and it works a treat. But overall I'm just not that impressed with the LG player so I'm gonna upgrade. So guys. ... Sony ubp x700 or Samsung k9500? I take it both of these read triple layer 100gb 4k blu rays OK?

12. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    The Sony X700 definately does, don't know re the Samsung 9500.

Which one to choose will depend if you have a DV capable TV.
    X700 supports DV, Samsung doesn't.
    Cheapest alternative then to the Sony for DV is Panasonic UB820 (or the LG UBK90 if you want to take another chance on LG and don't have a Sony DV capable TV).

If you have a HDR10+ capable TV, X700 won't support, don't know if the Samsung will. Other alternative then is the Panasonic UB420.

13. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reviews I've read do favour the X700 I must admit.
    I've got a Samsung QLED Q7F. That's the only reason I was looking at the k9500.
    The x700 is coming down in price too.
    Haven't looked at ub820. I shall investigate! Cheers fella!

14. fallinlight

fallinlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Did you end up with the X700 @4kFarmer? And did you mean cold freezes? Or, momentary ones? I experienced a momentary freeze stutter with RP1 at around 1:32:37. Rewinding past that point and playing through again, there was no stutter. My XB1S did the same momentary freezes quite often. Trying to discern whether some 4K discs and or 4K players are inherently at fault/ problematic. Not sure where the issue lies. And do not want to give up my X700, I think it is superb on all counts and a good step up from my XB1S, so far.

15. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey there. No it froze completely and I would have to restart the disc.
    I did go for the X700 in the end and I haven't had a single freeze or pause so far. Plus the picture quality is an improvement over the LG so all is good! And the Upscaling of regular blu rays is superb.

16. fallinlight

fallinlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Thank you, glad you really like it. I love mine, too - quiet too! Contrary to the AVforums review. Quieter than my XB1S.

Wondering, would you mind checking some of your 4K discs for any scratches? You need to check very carefully and tilt the disc at angles, under a direct light source, to properly see. Even some of my new discs have light scratches, but I don't know if they came about from the factory and or being played.

17. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    First thing I did and they're are no scratches at all.

18. fallinlight

fallinlight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +442
    Thank for that. This is just my assumption, but from what I have read and how widespread and mutual the issue is, I honestly just think that it is a problem with 4K hardware, software and media in general, and that they haven't ironed out the issue with many players and discs. Stuttering was never an issue, or at least not from my experience or knowledge, with DVDs or BRs. I have ready of many people having to clean their brand new discs anyway, to stop freezing/ suttering problems. I have also read of a history of quality control problems with brand new UHDs, such as someone's experience of seeing finger prints on their new BR 2049 disc, out of the shrink, and with WB discs (Wonder Woman and Blade Runner: Final Cut UHDs I think) from the factory.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
  19. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read a lot about triple layer blu rays and how a lot of 4k blu ray players struggle to read them. The LG struggles with certain discs and all of the ones that freeze are triple layer.
    Both Blade Runners run fine on the LG and the Sony.

20. low-def.

low-def.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Contemplating getting this player - especially as it can be had for £129 - maybe less soon. How does it comatre to the Sony x700?

21. doug56hl

doug56hl
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,771
    Very badly if the one I had is typical of them.
    Extremely noisy and consistently froze on layer change to 3rd layer on BD100 discs.
    Try looking at the user reviews of it on amazon. 53% of reviews are one or two star rating.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-UP970-Ultra-Blu-Ray-Player-Black/dp/B06XGW843Y

By contrast the X700 I have is quiet and has never had any playback problems.
    The X700 has been £139 at amazon in the past and will possibly go down to that level again during Black Friday sales period.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
  22. 4kFarmer

4kFarmer
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah don't buy the LG it's a terrible machine.
    I ended up getting the x800 as it was on offer in a local store and it's an incredible machine. No disc freezes, stunning pictures and the Upscaling is a joy to behold.
    Well worth every penny.