Quantcast

LG UH850v & UH950v 2016 4K HDR Dolby Vision TV's Owners Thread

Damon smith

As much as i love my 49uh850v, i have just got a 55 oled c8, and the difference is staggering, cant believe how inky black the blacks are on the c8, unbelieva le tv.

dts

Distinguished Member
As much as i love my 49uh850v, i have just got a 55 oled c8, and the difference is staggering, cant believe how inky black the blacks are on the c8, unbelieva le tv.
I'm.the same with my LG 55B7 oled...the 850 is now in the man cave,the difference in picture quality is mind blowing.The 850 is still a great TV especially with 3D but like most led backlit TVs...oled will always win.

Grumpyrocker

My 850V went from being my "man cave" TV to the family TV in the lounge. I replaced it with a very good sale price 49SK8500. While obviously it can't compete with an OLED in a dark room the super bright HDR is massively brighter than my old 850 (which was still great) and is really quite stunning. As a gaming/movie set for a room that's never very dark it's fabulous.

derek500

Strange thing happening with Netflix and DolbyVision.

Before, all HDR programmes were DolbyVision. But now, some programmes labelled DolbyVision are being picked up as HDR.

e.g. Stranger Things season 3 is labelled DolbyVision and works in DolbyVision, but After Life says it should be DolbyVision but is picked up as HDR.

Other examples of HDR are Black Mirror and Sex Education.

Weird thing is the HDR programmes were all made in the UK.

Can anyone with a full Netflix sub have a look and see if it's just my TV.

andyrp

Novice Member
I think it’s the frame rate of the material that causes this. If the DV frame rate exceeds the TV specification then it plays as HDR rather than DV. Hi

Strange thing happening with Netflix and DolbyVision.

Before, all HDR programmes were DolbyVision. But now, some programmes labelled DolbyVision are being picked up as HDR.

e.g. Stranger Things season 3 is labelled DolbyVision and works in DolbyVision, but After Life says it should be DolbyVision but is picked up as HDR.

Other examples of HDR are Black Mirror and Sex Education.

Weird thing is the HDR programmes were all made in the UK.

Can anyone with a full Netflix sub have a look and see if it's just my TV.

derek500

Thanks. Perhaps it's the British thing? I can't find any other British originals with HDR. That could be why I haven't noticed it before.

All the US stuff I've checked plays with DolbyVision.

ashscotland88

Novice Member
Edit: turned out I didn't unplug the TV. Working now.

TV Guide has stopped working, it either displays nothing or continuously loads.
I've tried some old tips of changing auto/manual time and location. Had it unplugged for a while. But nothing.
Next step is a reset or retune. This is not the first time it's happened.

Last edited:

nofear01

Can anyone recommend some good HDR settings for the 850v (49"). Had it a few years and not been overly impressed.

Grumpyrocker

Can anyone recommend some good HDR settings for the 850v (49"). Had it a few years and not been overly impressed.
Backlight -100
Contrast - 100
Brightness - 45
Sharpening - 10
Colour - 60
Tin - 0
White Balance W25/Warm1 - I found Warm2 darkened the image too much in HDR

Dynamic Contrast - Medium
Colour Gamut - Wide (this is wrong for regular settings, but the dynamic contrast washes things out a bit so this brings the colour back, just set it to normal/auto if it looks too saturated to you).
Truemotion - Off
Local Dimming - Medium

Essentially all of the above is the default HDR Bright setting, with Brightness lowered a bit for better blacks/contrast, Local Dimming up to Medium and the White Balance set. So if you start with HDR Bright, reset it, then make the above changes that's the quickest and easiest way.

It's not perfect. And it's certainly not "reference" but it looks good and is bright. My sons have just been playing Battlefront 2 and I have these settings on HDR Game mode too and it looked really good.

simon194

I think it’s the frame rate of the material that causes this. If the DV frame rate exceeds the TV specification then it plays as HDR rather than DV. Hi
It is a framerate thing. The set only supports UHD DV at 2160p24/25/30. A lot of UK Netflix original content is 2160p50.

hype_male

Hi. I am thinking of buying lg 49uh850v over Samsung QE49Q7FAM because 49uh850v has 3d and the qu49q7fam doesn't.
In terms of picture quality and HDR, which is better out of the 2 TVs mentioned?
Is the 3d on the 49uh850v any good ?
I know you have to use spacers to mount some Samsung tv because the back is not flat, does the 49uh850v require spacers as well to mount on a wall ?

Hmm , Q7 is better than a 850V , better HDR, picture, contrast but no 3D . I`ve same doubt , but 3D is very important to me and I no regret .

dts

Distinguished Member
Hmm , Q7 is better than a 850V , better HDR, picture, contrast but no 3D . I`ve same doubt , but 3D is very important to me and I no regret .
My 49850V is now in my man cave after upgrading to an LG 55B7 oled TV....the 3D is amazing on this TV and I do miss not having it in the living room...dolby vision content works well with the 850v because it only has a peak nit brightness of 350 nits...but it does the job.

hype_male

Can any one with lg 49uh850v please tell me the size of the screw needed to mount the arm part of a bracket to the back of the TV?

Is the back of the lg 49uh850v flat to rest he arm bracket flat to the back of the tv or do I need to apply spacer between the tv and the arm bracket?

Racy Jace

Hi guys. Just stumbled across this thread as I'm looking for a TV for my man cave. I've an Oled LG C8 downstairs so I'm just looking for something to casually watch TV or game on. I'm not sure who'll be using the set more yet out of me and my son so looking for something half decent.

I was only thinking of a 3d.tv as I've a couple of discs. Do you guys still rate this set in general Or would you go for something else?

Racy Jace

I just found out the unused TV in my Dad's back room is an LG uh850v! How much do these sell for second hand? I might make him an offer!

With black Friday looming I'm unsure what TV to get as there's some nice Sony and Philips ambilight sets but o LG uh850 or 950s😢

Racy Jace

Anyone near the west midlands have one of these sets for sale?

simon194

I just found out the unused TV in my Dad's back room is an LG uh850v! How much do these sell for second hand? I might make him an offer!

With black Friday looming I'm unsure what TV to get as there's some nice Sony and Philips ambilight sets but o LG uh850 or 950s😢
Most retailers cleared out the 2016 models during the 2017.

Racy Jace

Theres my Dad's 49uh850v. Probably had 1000 hours on the set! What a waste! I'll get a Philips pus8204 in a few weeks if non come up for sale and hope it's ok.

15747015586876443391084950888235.jpg

Novice Member
Is there a way to disable the buttons on the actual TV (UH850v)? I ask as my little boy keeps turning the volume up/down using them.Is there a service or hotel menu I can access to disable the functionality of these buttons?

wakey1

Been watching the Ricky Gervais series on Netflix, After Life. It says it's in DolbyVision but I'm only getting HDR.

Other DV shows are playing fine.
With the issues DV on Netflix has on this set I would say that’s a positive

marcd5123

@derek500 Hi just stumbled on this thread as I browse the forums daily.. Iv got a 2017 49SJ810V Nano panal I I loved that Ricky Gavis series last year looking forward to Season 2.. Anyhow from memory it did play as DV on my TV so this sounds like it was a limited tech issues with the UH 2016 Range and they fixed all those issues with 2017 SJ range. Iv also watched all Black Mirror and agian from memory any in DV played as Dolby Vision.... How bizzare :thumbsdow

Grumpyrocker

I've noticed that more Netflix shows seem to be playing in HDR rather than DV on my 49UH850 than did so previously. Meanwhile on my 49SK8500 in another room they continue to play in DV.