Roba22

Novice Member
Hi everyone,

I have an lg uh620v and its a terrible TV. Rgbw pixel structure, 450 nits peak brightness, no wide colour gamut and terrible contrast ratio make it awful for hdr content.

I've been looking for a replacement and learnt a lot about hdr through this forum. I've recently purchased an xbox series x and playing games on the lg is terrible and very dim in hdr. In ac valhalla I am actually struggling to see and having to squint most of the time.

I would like to upgrade but I have a limited budget. I've been looking at the hisemse u7qf as a halfway there tv. Would this provide noticeable better hdr performance? And can anyone who owns one let me know what gaming is like on it? I dont care about 120hz or vrr too much, but I am very bothered about having a nice bright image that I can see well in a moderately lit room.

My friend is also selling a Samsung q9fn and I know this is a much better TV than the hisense. However this is slightly out of budget and I would like a warranty as I have had to have 2 panel replacements on my current lg. However if the hisense doesn't provide a noticeable improvement, I may be tempted to go for this.

The third option is to wait until March and see if I can get a sony xh9505 in the clearance sales, however I dont think this will be in budget still.

Thanks for the advice. I didnt realise what a minefield hdr performance is!

vickster

Distinguished Member
What is your budget?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Presumably wanting a 55”?

vickster

Distinguished Member
Unfortunately, you’re going to struggle to get anything new that’s any good for HDR. Maybe just go for your pal’s Samsung?
Or ask in the Hisense owner thread specifically about gaming

Roba22

Novice Member
Unfortunately, you’re going to struggle to get anything new that’s any good for HDR. Maybe just go for your pal’s Samsung?
Or ask in the Hisense owner thread specifically about gaming
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was thinking that but just worried about having to fork out for a new TV is anything goes wrong with the panel. I'll pop a message in the hisense thread.

On another note do you know if I can get any Insurance worth its salt on the Samsung. I've seen a lot on Google but after researching most seem to be a bit of a scam.

Dodgexander

Consider refurbs like the XH9005 (not fantastic HDR, will get you there in some titles) XH9505 as you've mentioned already.

If buying new, the Hisense U8Q is an option is the cheapest path to decent HDR, whilst the U7Q is more basic, but still a lot better than other options at a similar price range.

Buying second hand is certainty better with a limited budget.

vickster

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the advice. Yeah I was thinking that but just worried about having to fork out for a new TV is anything goes wrong with the panel. I'll pop a message in the hisense thread.

On another note do you know if I can get any Insurance worth its salt on the Samsung. I've seen a lot on Google but after researching most seem to be a bit of a scam.
I don’t think you can get after purchase warranty if not the original owner, what do you expect to go wrong? Of course you can insure against accidental damage on home contents insurance.

You have to be super quick on the Sony refurbs, they seem to get listed on Thursday and sell out in a few hours.
They did briefly have the Sony 55XH9005 for £600 (extra for longer warranty) this week. Think the 9505 was £750 (+ warranty)

Roba22

Novice Member

On another note do you know if I can get any I strange worth its salt on the Samsung. I've seen a lot on Google but after researching most seem to be a bit of a scam.
Sorry that should say insurance
Consider refurbs like the XH9005 (not fantastic HDR, will get you there in some titles) XH9505 as you've mentioned already.

If buying new, the Hisense U8Q is an option is the cheapest path to decent HDR, whilst the U7Q is more basic, but still a lot better than other options at a similar price range.

Buying second hand is certainty better with a limited budget.
Thanks for the advice. I've seen your thread on next gen gaming which is why I'm hesitant on the hisense.

I guess I would be best going for the Samsung and just replacing is it goes wrong.

Roba22

Novice Member
I don’t think you can get after purchase warranty if not the original owner, what do you expect to go wrong? Of course you can insure against accidental damage on home contents insurance.

You have to be super quick on the Sony refurbs, they seem to get listed on Thursday and sell out in a few hours.
They did briefly have the Sony 55XH9005 for £600 (extra for longer warranty) this week. Think the 9505 was £750 (+ warranty)
I've just had some bad experiences with my current TV (probably because its so low end) its had two panel replacements in two years as the back-light started to turn blue

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom