1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LG tv's Customer Service - NOT!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by The-Stranger, Apr 28, 2005.

?

Do u think LG are a good company?

Poll closed May 18, 2005.
  1. NO - won't touch em with a barge pole

8 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. had bad things happen - not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. never bought- now i never will!!!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. yes i love their sorry behinds

2 vote(s)
    20.0%
  1. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My LG tv is 14 months old - RE44SZ21RD

i bought it 14 months ago - great tv i love it - when i can actually watch it that is!

trying to get it to come out of standby is an art in itself - u press the button
    the red light changes to flashing orange then goes back to red.

u try again - it does same as.

turn it off for 30 mins and wait - really pees u off when ur fav prog is about to start that does - not to mention when the missus is missing one of her many soaps - the aggro is pretty bad

i spent £2000 yes TWO THOUSAND pounds on this piece of junk thats 2000/14 = £142 per month - i could buy a car with that.

i contacted LG supposedly customer service and they emailed back saying out of warranty tough **** but if i sent them a engineers report they might reconsider their position
    try as i might no repair service will either cover my area or touch them with a bargepole - i think thats how he said it before sniggering and putting the phone down on me.

so i contact LG by phone and tell them this - they give me local firm that is an LG repairer of tvs etc - i ring them they say nope dont think so we dont touch their tvs - great
    i get told to fax all this over i do so with a complex explanation and no reply - i ring customer service again - WINSTON is a waste of bloomin space - says will find out and ring me back - guess what no ringback

i get home and letter is waiting saying basically tough **** out of warranty so i am gonna write letter to MD of firm - dont spose anyone has name of md in UK do they - cant find it on their site. i sent an email to their press dept slagging them off and threatening to slag LG off to all and sundry - thinking of going outside Currys and telling people to not buy LG products
    I wont be buying one again - I own american fridge and dvd surround sound also!!

oh and hi to everyone btw

LG u SUCK BIG TIME

can anyone help

i have tried unplugging tv for ten mins no joy

whats this remote reset thing someone talked about?

:lease: HELP

thx for reading my rambling

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Stranger welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear your having problems with your set.

I am well known for thinking LG is sh*t. Just follow the threads.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200677&page=2&pp=15

Keep putting pressure on LG, I had a similar experiance with Optoma. I contacted alot of the national av mags and ended up getting good support from Home cinema choice and John Archer who writes for the AV press. I also had to write to the MD. If you contact their offices they have to tell you his name, especially if you ask the member of staffs name first.

(Lion :hiya: you anit got long left before yours goes ;) )

3. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    we have same tv, same problem and ours is only 18 months old!! (£2,000 down the drain too) Yep, we got the crap customer service, the same reply and we are having an engineer out tomorow to look at it. £45 +vat before he even comes through the door. We found out the chairman of UK LGE and his name is Mr James Jeong. As yet, we have had no reply the letter we sent him. good luck, you are going to need it....

4. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    p.s. we are about to contact Watchdog, suggest you do the same for the same model tv as us. Sounds like a major fault they have with this TV. Let's kick their butts....

5. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well an update
    tonight when missus is watching it - yes it did come on - it made a loud click then switched off and now wont turn on even after 30 mins off
    i think its buggered
    i am really narked - feel like taking it down to Currys and throwing it on the floor in front of manager and tell him to stick it up his big fat round ass

webmelanie did they give u a number to ring for the engineer - they gave me one and i think they will charge same as. can u let me see the report when they have done it- i am so damn sick inside £2000 is such a lot of dosh

hurts even more when i goto my friends house and see my toshiba 33" still working fine 11 yrs on and it never ONCE needed a repair

damn damn damn

6. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    do u think its just the bulb that has gone and needs replacing -maybe we can get new bulbs???

7. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    engineer is coming in the morning, i will let you know the outcome. LG gave us 2 numbers for local engineers that they recommend and both numbers were disconnected!! We have a local company coming in from Peterborough

8. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they gave me a number for a local repair shop that was an authorised lg repairer for tvs
    i rang them and guess what- they dont even repair tvs - amazing

i am ringing trading standards tomorrow

9. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    msg to BLONDIE

u say u have had ur LG repaired when it had this problem

what did they have to do to fix it do u know

??

10. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Has anyone writen in to the av mags about this problem? They all have problem pages, you could copy the MD of LG in at the same time ;).

11. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i dont get any of these mags razor but if u had a address i could email into or write into i would

thx

12. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Best thing to do is to pop into whsmiths and pick up a few mags.

One very good magazine is Home Cinema Choice. This was some of the help they gave me.

http://www.homecinemachoice.com/cgi-bin/shownews.php?id=7297

I got satisfaction in the end, it took a long while (over 4 months).

Good luck :)

LG stands for Low Grade electronics :smashin:

13. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not good to see the LG DLP problem growing (Lion u may not see chrimbo). Every time i have had the set in for repair it was under warrenty and those nice chaps from Barron and McCann came and picked it up. However you'll all won't be shocked to know that my mates LG did pack up, same situation the TV refusing to get out of standby and a local dealer in Middlesbrough charged him £450. they said it was the control panel?? also they told him that they are getting calls weekly from within the North East region about the same problem!! so i don't know what we do from here but LG have fu***d up big style and we all suffer, through our pockets!! but agin that's what u get from buying into new technology from a cheap crappy company like LG, no wonder the LG factory in Durham has closed down!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsdow

14. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

Well said blondie. LG should reconise this as a fault and correct it free of charge in the same repects as a recall on a fault part on a car. £450 to fix a sh*t tv is a lot of money. If I had one of these sets I would ebay it before they bring the price down further and buy aother make of DLP set. If you wait to long you will only have to fork out £450 and the set will only be worth a few quid more now its £999 brand new.

Low Grade electronics have alot to answer for and ignoring the problem is only going to lose them customers both potential and existing.

:)

15. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well here is an update
    i spoke to trading standards today and they were very helpful explaining a lot of things to me and are willing to help me go all the way if necessary.

Winston @ LG also rang back today a day later than he said and inferred if i was to get the engineers report that they would "sort something out" so looks like i have to go down the "get the report done" path.
    When pressed that if i got the report they deffo fix tv, he would not openly okay that but way i see it, i will need the report anyhow to go down the trading standards path.

thing is - this report is pointless as LG are well aware of this problem.

I spoke to a LG dealer - yes i found one - when i told him my lg tv was not working i.e not coming out of standby he said i was the 3rd this month- he even reeled off the model number of the tv. He reckons it is the bulb and possibly the power supply but could also be a control panel / resistor - price for bulb he reckons is £300 without vat and fitting that is which is damn right outrageous. Deffo going down the trading standards route. I feel like walking into currys and throwing the tv at the manager.

16. philip41

philip41
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good luck with your upcoming battle, i really feel for you, as i have had to endure exactly the same battle with TINY.com, and after three months or so have only just got my money back.

I think it's bloody awfull the way these companys take our money and then make us prove there products are at fault.

17. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    engineer update - well he was about 12 so that as a good start! As soon as he walked through the room he said about the workshop....hhhmmm. after a phone call to his workshop,he pressed a fe buttons on the remote (after us telling him it would not work) and then said that it has to go in. It ill take about 2 weeks to fix, but they can't collect it until next Thursday. he then charged me £53 for call-out and left. what the fudge!!!! My plants had more brain cells than that man for gad's sake....it makes my blood boil....

any more updates ould be appreciated...

18. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Webmelanie - what did the report say the fault was???
    who is gonna repair it and how much did they say?

19. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lion how does it feel knowing every time you switch on the TV, it may not work :thumbsdow Honestly though mate, i hope you have a good one and do manage to watch Wizard of Oz on a 44" screen. I'm on my third LG DLPTV and to be honest i'am expecting it to go aswell, then i think i will walk into currys and ram it up the managers A**E!!!!!!
    Currys you to are growing some disgruntled customers!!!!!!!!!!!

20. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nothing yet - it goes to the workshop next thursday and then it will take about 2 weeks to repair. i have asked them to do a detailed engineer report though. they will ring me if the cost goes over £100 - so i await the phone call then!

21. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    next update

i spoke to trading standards and they say i will need an engineers report for when i go to court but LG must agree to the one i use ( or not object at least). So i rang the number they gave me for ??? what r they called - Barrett + MCCANN. - i think they called this
    They say to pick up tv and take it away and do report - they will charge me ........................................................... WAIT FOR IT!!!!

.................................... £342 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111

I say WHAT THE FFFFFFFFF****

so then she asks me what screen is it
    i say - do u mean size?
    she say - well model etc - is it the rd 21?
    wow i say it is how did u know?
    she say - get lots - just not many out of warranty though!
    i say - no wonder at £342 pick up fee and also most people have extended warranties so they wont be "out of warranty"
    she say - Whats up with it?
    i say - it wont come out of standby
    she say - yeah it needs a new lamp and board!!!

i say - just like that? - so no need for report really
    she say - nope - common fault with this set!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i must say at this point that this lady was really nice and helpful and i would not wish her any bad feelings
    she agreed i should go down the other route as £2000 for 14 months not good value for money

i spoke to LG again - passed to a manager for Re Re REconsideration

will let u all know how i get on

Webmelanie any news????

:)

22. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    **** forgot to say cost of new lamp and board is between £400 and £500 just to sicken me even more
    so that would be nearly £900 to repair a 14 month tv that cost me £2000

good value eh

will update tomorrow

23. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

Its only worth £900-£999 new. I would rather bin it if I was in your shoes rather than pay them to fix it. I hope LG do it for nothing, as they should.

Good luck :)

24. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well if i do have to bin it i will be carrying it into currys and throwing it thru the managers office window and letting him know in no uncertain terms that i will never buy LG or other products from Currys ever again and considering i am a large spender on electrical goods both for me and kids then they lose out and if i upset a few other customers in the meantime i will

i should only do this if i get no joy from currys or from LG that it

:))

25. Blondie

Blondie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Behind you all the way mate! Make sure it is the manager you speak to and not some snotty kid who has'nt got a clue!! most staff in currys do not no anything about DLP sets and plasma's. i was in thier today checking any new stock, [edit]! there was a salesman telling a customer that the LG plasma 42" will not need an extended warranty as the new era of plasma tv's are indistructable :eek: :eek: :eek: i chipped in, it's an LG product mate dont listen to him!!!!!! unless you want to waste £1600 :suicide: :suicide:
    It worked, he bought a panny instead!!!!!!!
    LG you will suffer when word get's round about your products that don't switch ON!!! :nono: :nono:

26. webmelanie

webmelanie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    they took away the set today and it takes about 2 weeks - can you let me know who you spoke to at LG, as I get the same old stroppy women and I will hound them too. When i have an update - you will be the 1st to know....

Thanks

27. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well i have threatened this dont worry and i have given them the link to this forum so they can read us slagging them off!!!!

still waiting for phonecall back off customer services MANAGER

woohooo might get cal back b4 2006

pah

28. The-Stranger

The-Stranger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!

Finally got through to LG and they are gonna fix my TV for free as per original warranty.
    They are sending a courier on 31st May with an empty box for me to put TV in. They are then gonna take it away and repair it for me FREE OF CHARGE.
    WOOHOO

Must say that once LG decided to help me, they could not do enough for me. Ringing me back numerous times to arrange pickups etc.

So it shows.... if u dig ur heels in and keep at it, u get the results you want.

29. owey

owey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hows is your LG Tv now, did they fix it for free?. I turned mine on the other day, when I looked up, still on standby. I thought I didn't press the button properly, but after reading this thread I think I might have the same problem. But mine is now 14-15 months old, maybe they have a built in timer to go faulty just after the warranty ends.

30. Dazzyman

Dazzyman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Well you just need to contact trading standards about it and get a complaint going firstly. You might have no choice but to pay the fee for the repair and then claim it back or probably the best thing would be to get how much its going to be by an independant engineer and then go to the small claims court with this (which will be much cheaper anyway!). The television isnt in merchandisable quality as its only lasted 14months so that can quite easily be argued in court as it should be lasting much longer than this!