Question LG TV with Sony Surround Sound System

JBThirty33

Novice Member
Reaction score
Looking for some advice please. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have an LG 49uj634v, and for the last 12 months have had it hooked to an LG sound bar and made use of the sound sync option allowing me to control the sound bar volume with my tv remote.

Now I appreciate I should probably have done some more research but I saw a very good deal on a Sony BDV E4100 5.1 surround system. I've hooked this up to my TV but I'm having some issues, and I'm assuming it's due to the different models of TV and surround.

I have managed to set the surround and TV to turn on using the same remote, how we when the surround turns it never defaults to the TV input - it goes straight to the home screen and says "setup" on the lcd screen. I then need to change the input manually every time I turn on the TV.

Furthermore, the 5.1 isn't always active. For example when opening Netflix, you can normally see if will say 5.1 next to the thumbnail if it is available. This doesn't appear unless I go into my tv audio settings and change PCM to Auto, which I need to do every time too.

This is infuriating me and right now I'm Co sidering selling the Sony system in favour of an LG system. Should I be doing something differently?

Thanks and apologies for the long post.

In LG WebOS
PCM = stereo
Auto = ARC which covers PCM stereo, Dolby and DTS 5.1

So for 5.1 audio you need it on Auto at all times, the TV should not be reverting to PCM unless there is some kind of fault.

LG's HDMI-CEC implementation called Simplink will auto activate the home screen on any AV device like a sound system but usually only if you switch to it's HDMI ARC input, at least that's been my experience and from what I've read of others. It should be switching to TV for other HDMI inputs if working normally.

Check that Bravia Sync is enabled on the Sony E4100 this is what allows the TV to control it.

Also check that the firmware is up to date on the Sony E4100 that may resolve some issues, there should be a built in network update tool that can download latest firmware if connected to the internet.

One other thing to try is go into the WebOS input manager and set up the universal remote option for the Sony, tell it there is a Sony sound system attached to the ARC input and see if that makes any difference, not sure if your version of WebOS has the feature.

Hi!!!
I have a lg oled55cx6la
And a Sony BDV E4100
Who I manage that to turn on at the same time?
Now I tern on first my TV and then the home cinema
Thanks!!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom